Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Hello everyone. I am beginning a trailer build, will not be anything fancy....looking to achieve function. Starting with a 5x8 cargo trailer with 2" square tube frame. Comes standard with a 2200lb axle, which I want to switch out to 3500lb, but with a lighter spring setup. (Thought about Timbren's....but not for now.)

Question: I want to match tow vehicle's wheels and tires to the trailer, and get the track as close as possible. With that in mind....should I get a longer axle? Or use bolt on spacers? If I get the longer axle, I assume I will need to cut off the spring perches and remount closer in where it will line up with the frame? (Going to do a spring over kit as well.)

Any constructive thoughts? Thank you in advance.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Since you are ordering a new axle, I would order it the width needed so that your wheels match the vehicles track width. While I am not opposed to running spacers, they are one more item you need to pay attention to. However, if the wheels you are want to run on the trailer do not have a center bore that will clear the trailer axle hub (most aluminum Jeep wheels are in this category) you will need spacers and should order the axle width with running spacers in mind.

You will probably need to move the spring perches regardless of the axle width. Pretty much all trailer axles are sold in a spring under configuration or without perches installed. Don't bother with a spring over "kit", just weld the spring perches on the top side of the axle tube.

oeb0630

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Since you are ordering a new axle, I would order it the width needed so that your wheels match the vehicles track width. While I am not opposed to running spacers, they are one more item you need to pay attention to. However, if the wheels you are want to run on the trailer do not have a center bore that will clear the trailer axle hub (most aluminum Jeep wheels are in this category) you will need spacers and should order the axle width with running spacers in mind.

You will probably need to move the spring perches regardless of the axle width. Pretty much all trailer axles are sold in a spring under configuration or without perches installed. Don't bother with a spring over "kit", just weld the spring perches on the top side of the axle tube.
Thank you! I did not take into account the wheel most likely requiring a spacer........THANKS!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

New axle, built at any spring shop to your exact spec. I did this last year. 3500# axle, mated to my existing 2000# leafs, width a track match for my Jeep rims.

Cost $207 Canadian Dollar, all taxes included.

Just get what you want built.

oeb0630

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Well, I ended up going forward with ordering the Timbren 1 Tonne 4" lift system. I don't know if it is the metal industry, the lack of workforce, or what....but a "to size" axle and spring system was nearly as costly as going axle-less. Thanks for all of the input, one of the many reasons I like this community!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Just a cautionary note, I’m running a 3500lb axle and was using a two leaf spring rated at a combined 2500 lbs. The trailer scales out at 1400 lbs fully loaded. We snapped a spring in half our last trip out. I replaced them on the trail and upgraded to 5,000 lb four leaf springs