Initial "spooling" instructions for new winch, I had no idea!

• HTML tutorial

offroadkid

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shingle Springs, El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Whitgob
Member #

I couldn't find a good category to post this so I'll post it here and see where it is most suited!

After installing our new Warn winch, I studied the PDF instructions in the manual provided on Warn's website. I had no idea that after installation, there is another step prior to use which is spooling in under a load onto the drum! Anyone else know this? I'll post below the steps!

From the Warn Operator's Manual...

"The life of a wire rope is directly related to the use and care it receives. During its first use, a new wire rope must be spooled onto its drum under a load of at least 1000 lbs. (454 kgs). Use the following instructions to properly stretch the wire rope onto the winch drum.

1) Choose a FLAT AND LEVEL location that is large enough to run out the entire length of wire rope.

2) Turn the clutch lever on the winch to the “Free Spool” position. Spool out the wire rope to the last 5 wraps on the drum. Once the wire rope is spooled out, turn the clutch lever on the winch to the “Engaged” position.

3) Attach the hook end of the rope to a suitable anchor point and back the vehicle away from the anchor point until there is very little slack in the wire rope. Before getting out of the vehicle, set the parking brake, place the vehicle in gear or park and turn the vehicle off.

4) Connect the remote control to the winch. Standing approximately 6 ft away from the winch, power in the winch until all of the slack is wound onto the winch drum. Disconnect the remote control from the winch. Hold tension on the wire rope with one hand; carefully push the wire rope to the side of the drum the wire rope is attached to so there are no gaps between each coil on the drum. Be sure to check that the wire rope is winding off of the bottom of the drum, not the top, or the automatic load holding brake will not function properly. (If the wire rope is winding off the top you have powered the winch “out” instead of “in” on the remote control).

5) The following steps should be done using two people for proper safety. If you attempt to tension your wire rope alone be sure to always engage the parking brake, place the transmission in gear and turn the vehicle off every time you exit the vehicle to inspect the winch wire rope. Never exit the vehicle with a load on the winch wire rope. Tensioning the wire rope is critical to ensure a long product life. Tensioning the wire rope will prevent outer layers of wire rope from pinching and deforming the inner layers.

6) Use care to evenly wrap each layer to prevent damage to the rope.

7) Pass the remote control through the driver’s window for the driver of the vehicle to operate. Instruct your assistant to stand to the side of the vehicle and away from the winch wire rope. Your assistant should signal you if the wire rope is winding correctly by watching it move across the fairlead as the wire rope is powered in. Start the vehicle and place the transmission in neutral. Release the parking brake while applying moderate brake pedal pressure. Press power in on the remote control switch. After winching in for approximately 6 ft, stop winching. Slowly let up off of the brake pedal and then apply the parking brake. This will ensure that there is no load on the winch rope. Then place the transmission in park or gear and turn the vehicle off. Exit the vehicle and inspect the winch to make sure that the wire rope is being evenly wound onto the winch drum and not sinking into the lower layer. If the wire rope is sinking, power the wire rope out and repeat this step from the beginning with more brake pedal pressure.

8) When you are convinced the wire rope is winding onto the winch drum properly, repeat step 6 until the vehicle is within 6 ft of the winch anchor. Once within 6 ft, slowly let up off of the brake pedal and then apply the parking brake. This will ensure that there is no load on the winch wire rope. Then place the transmission in park or in gear and turn the vehicle off. Exit the vehicle. Disconnect the hook from the anchor. While holding onto the supplied hook strap, hold tension on the winch rope and slowly power in the winch by “pulsing” the power in on the remote control until the hook is within 3 ft of the fairlead. Stop winching in and attach the hook to a suitable anchor point on the vehicle. DO NOT POWER THE HOOK INTO THE FAIRLEAD. This could cause damage to the fairlead. Once the hook is suitably attached to the vehicle, power in the remaining slack in the winch rope by “pulsing” the power in on the remote until there is minimal slack in the winch wire rope".

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

For a steel cable, this initial procedure sets its shape around the drum. For synthetic it provides the tension over the drum to prevent it from slipping.

After using your winch with most of the line un-spooled, it's important to spool it in under a load. This will help prevent the wraps from shifting around and forming gaps or bulges in the layer. Gaps can allow the line to get pinched and get deformed, and bulges increase the overall diameter on the drum and can rub against the winch tray.

Reactions: offroadkid

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I've seen some brand new winch lines ruined or badly damaged because they were never pre-tensioned. When it came time to use them, they caved in on themselves with the load and the rest is history. Should have seen how they got them unwound! Tied to a tree and 20 MPH in reverse!

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Good info! We had a great demo of how to spool a synthetic line on a winch at the Knoxville meetup in April by @Disco2Guy and @BEAR

I remember someone filming the lesson. Any video come out of that? I learned that it's easier to pull a vehicle toward you vs. pulling yourself toward a fixed object. Much easier to control the spooling evenly.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

The instructions on my SMITTYBILT included this step. I used a tree in my pasture and winched on a medium upgrade. Worked great and I was able to walk in front of the rig and help guide the first 50 feet.
Yeah. My smittybilt had the same instructions. bolt the line to the drum, spool the first few feet with hand tension and the rest under load. Luckily my driveway was long enough that I could my pickup at the end and use it as an anchor.

offroadkid

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shingle Springs, El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Whitgob
Member #

Yeah. My smittybilt had the same instructions. bolt the line to the drum, spool the first few feet with hand tension and the rest under load. Luckily my driveway was long enough that I could my pickup at the end and use it as an anchor.
Yes, it looks like now I need a long area to take care of this!! There's a few long dirt roads nearby that might be fun to go do this!

Reactions: VDawg1115