Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Stupid question time...

I am building a 2000 E350 4x4 van. The stock gas tank (mid-mount) has to be shortened to clear the transfer case, leaving about 30 gallons of capacity. With a V 10, that equals a pretty short range. The obvious answer is to hang some gas cans on the back, but I don't really want to do that.

I would like to add a rear tank, like the 37 or 55 gallon tanks used on cutaway vans (behind the axle). If possible, I would like to end up with a system like the Long Range America set-up. LRA sets their tanks up to fill both tanks from the original filler, and uses a transfer pump to move fuel back into the stock tank when needed. If this isn't feasible, I am OK with adding a filler door back by the rear tank.

My questions are: has anyone done this? (I don't want to reinvent the wheel), how did it work out?, are there any obvious pitfalls to watch for with the evaporative canister/ engine codes, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

Stupid question time...

I am building a 2000 E350 4x4 van. The stock gas tank (mid-mount) has to be shortened to clear the transfer case, leaving about 30 gallons of capacity. With a V 10, that equals a pretty short range. The obvious answer is to hang some gas cans on the back, but I don't really want to do that.

I would like to add a rear tank, like the 37 or 55 gallon tanks used on cutaway vans (behind the axle). If possible, I would like to end up with a system like the Long Range America set-up. LRA sets their tanks up to fill both tanks from the original filler, and uses a transfer pump to move fuel back into the stock tank when needed. If this isn't feasible, I am OK with adding a filler door back by the rear tank.

My questions are: has anyone done this? (I don't want to reinvent the wheel), how did it work out?, are there any obvious pitfalls to watch for with the evaporative canister/ engine codes, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
I personally haven't seen it done but just from basic mechanics of how the fuel system works, I don't think it would be a giant task, especially if the 2nd tank design already fits in the location you're choosing. I am assuming the 2nd tank would also have a drop in fuel pump, and if so hotwiring it to a switch to turn it on would be relatively simple using a relay. As far as throwing codes, I don't see that as a thing that would happen unless something went wrong and the vapor canister got overflowed with gasoline.

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Did a search on the Sportsmobile Forum and found a couple of threads that my help.

Another option is to contact Agile Offroad. They replaced the stock tank with a 45 gallon tank When they did my 4x4 conversion. Sprinter, E-Series & Transit - 4x4 Van Suspension & Parts - Agile Off Road

Reactions: loper

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Did a search on the Sportsmobile Forum and found a couple of threads that my help.

Another option is to contact Agile Offroad. They replaced the stock tank with a 45 gallon tank When they did my 4x4 conversion. Sprinter, E-Series & Transit - 4x4 Van Suspension & Parts - Agile Off Road
Thanks for the leads!