(In Your State?) ORV - Soil Retention - Carbon? What Da?!!! They're Serious! | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

(In Your State?) ORV - Soil Retention - Carbon? What Da?!!! They're Serious!

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

MOAK

Rank V

Member II

Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Sadly, many are not good ambassadors of the outdoors. Leave no trace (lack of it) is present in every outing I do. Trash, getting off established trails, toilet paper. If everyone in this group committed to bringing out one more bag of trash then you took in, man what a difference.
I agree 100%. Interestingly enough though, the remote locations we get into and out of we rarely see any trash. Except one time as we meandered down a canyon heading south out of Joshua Tree we came upon an area that was completely trashed by target shooters. I about threw up. My wife was enraged. We passed by a small group, ignored them and continued on. One of the most difficult things we as a group are faced with is our inability to delineate ourselves from the low life weekend warriors. There is no help from corporations either as the TV commercials about Jeeps conquering nature, or the Bronco blazing new trails are extraordinarily damaging to us, the purveyors of Tread Lightly & Leave No Trace ethics, and to our collective reputation.

MOAK

Rank V

Member II

Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

There’s off-roading in NJ? Who’d a thought that!
Not really, I visited the Pine Barrens 20 years ago and, well, it’s New Jersey, what can I say? ( LOL ) even back then I witnessed more than a few bozos with way overbuilt rigs tearing it up. After four or five bozo encounters, we packed it in and headed home.

Reactions: NJCoastal

NJCoastal

Rank III
Adventure

Enthusiast I

Rancocas Woods, Mount Laurel Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mezick
Member #

Purely my imagination: NJ DEP ORV Policy

“Background

The term "off road vehicle" refers to a broad array of vehicles now in use by the public:
  • Any motorized vehicle with two or more wheels or tracks that is capable of being operated off of regularly improved and maintained roads shall be classified as an ORV. This includes all pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles, motor cycles, dirt bikes, all terrain vehicles and snowmobiles.
  • Class I ORVs include all vehicles that are licensed, registered, insured and inspected as required to legally operate on any road or highway of the State designated for vehicle traffic.
  • Class II ORVs includes any vehicle lacking one or more of the criteria needed for operation on any road or highway designated for vehicle traffic. Class II ORVs may be operated on public lands only with a special permit or on private property with the permission of the landowner.”

North American Sojourner

Rank III
Adventure

Contributor III

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
LOL! I would like to believe there was a “beginning”, but maybe there was no such thing. NJ will retain it’s reputation as a “police state”. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.
Because they like that Powah. LOL
This is a prime reason I'm in the midwest. I grew up on the east coast (DC) and folks are losing ground in the "fun" arena.
Zim

Tundracamper

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Because they like that Powah. LOL
This is a prime reason I'm in the midwest. I grew up on the east coast (DC) and folks are losing ground in the "fun" arena.
Zim
I just purchased a regional map for trip planning to Utah. I cannot believe the two long columns of rules and regulations in small font. Resistance is futile, you must assimilate!

North American Sojourner

Rank III
Adventure

Contributor III

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I just purchased a regional map for trip planning to Utah. I cannot believe the two long columns of rules and regulations in small font. Resistance is futile, you must assimilate!
I'll have to look at that. Is it a state map or a federal map. The Feds are falling apart with this sudden change of course we're going thru. You have to admit it's a challenge.
LOL
Zim