Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Hey all,

I came upon a minor mystery while doing map recces of the area I often go exploring near my home. I found a location marked on Google maps as "Boundary." At first I didn't even realize it was a place, because it looked like the word "boundary" labeling the Canada/US border. Only once I realized I could click on it did I realize it was actually a name of a town, a ghost town, more specifically.
boundarymap.jpg
A little more research led me to the conclusion that its location is grossly incorrect on Google maps. The wikipedia article that google maps links to suggests that the town was located on the banks of Silesia creek, which seems to be the US name for Slesse Creek north of the Border near Chilliwack, however, all the scant online sources I could find including Wikipedia agree that Boundary, WA was located in Stevens County, far to the east of Chilliwack.

As you can see by the image attached, the satellite imagery shows absolutely no trace of any settlement in this area, but more tellingly, the terrain absolutely does not seem amenable to building a settlement. None of the other details match either, like the mention of "New Boundary" being built to the south later on.

A website about ghost towns of Stevens County mentions that Boundary was between "The Little Flat" and the Columbia river. So far I'm unable to locate the former, and thus I have yet to find anything on the satellite map that looks to me like the ruins of Boundary.

I thought I'd hop on OB and put out the call - has anyone from the PNW ever visited Boundary? I know we have a lot of ghost town enthusiasts and explorers on here, so I figured I'd ask you guys. If you've been there, please post your experiences, pics, whatever. Perhaps we can get the location corrected on Google Maps somehow too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedi

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

So, you’re thinking it’s over by Northport?
The sources I've read place it near the columbia river and close to the border with Canada. There are some forestry roads in that area named "Boundary Road" and "Boundary Access Road" which is quite suggestive as well.

It's much further north than North Port, I'd say.

Last edited:

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Very interesting. I never met a ghost town I didn't like. Will have to poke around as well.

i find this:
http://www.ghosttownsusa.com/bound.htm

They mention the Pend Oreille River , which would make sense. Putting this ghost town in the Boundary -Kootenay region . They also mention how it vanished once the bridge was put in over the Pen Oreille and "New Boundary" sprung up on the other side.

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

It would be easier to locate if anyone knew where "The Little Flat" was. I've searched the term and come up with nothing. I'm hoping some Stevens County locals can shed some more light on this mystery.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

It would be easier to locate if anyone knew where "The Little Flat" was. I've searched the term and come up with nothing. I'm hoping some Stevens County locals can shed some more light on this mystery.
I couldn't locate the Little Flat either. I was looking on the map around where the Pend O Rielle meets the Columbia but could not see anything.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I couldn't locate the Little Flat either. I was looking on the map around where the Pend O Rielle meets the Columbia but could not see anything.
Wherever the town site is, I'm fairly sure it's very close to the border.

I wonder if it might be the name of a creek, ie Little Flat Creek? Since the website mentions Boundary as being near the border and situated between that and the Columbia - logically one would use two rivers as reference points.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Eureka!

God bless the Library of Congress:
Boundary city.png
This is a topographical and mining site map of Stevens County dated 1900. I believe the gridded area that borders the water with the rail and road lines running through it must be the townsite, as other settlements on this map are marked in the same way.
boundary site view.jpg
This is a satellite view of the area. I've marked in red some faint outlines that might possibly be the remains of structures. The existence of this little dirt track in the middle of the area is suggestive as well - there's no reason for it to exist unless there was actually something built here at some point in the past, since presently it leads to a level crossing that goes nowhere.

This would seem to settle the mystery as to the location of the lost "city" of Boundary, Washington. Interestingly, there's a border crossing on this road, with the US port of entry built extremely close to, or partially on top of, the old town site, assuming the map is correct. Very interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Chaos

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

That part of the world is littered with remnants of old mines and ghost towns, railways, etc. I've spent a bit of time exploring the Boundary area, especially around Greenwood, BC My Wife and i tried to find the Lost City Of Paris once, and while we couldn't quite locate it, I have a better idea of where to search now and will probably head back into the area at some point to look for it.
If it weren't for mining and logging we wouldn't have the tracks and trails we do to get into the wilderness to explore.

Just found this as well:

Waneta (near Trail): Bridging the Pend Oreille River (1893) was a big job demanding the construction of a steel cantilever span 250 ft (75 m) long. The project took six months with workmen living in a camp known as Boundary City. With saloons, dance halls and gambling tables, it boasted 1,200 occupants. Once the bridge was complete, construction crews began laying railway track northward from the border and a new community called Waneta appeared.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Now you've got me started. From what I can glean, on the Cdn side of the border (across from Boundary) was the old town of Fort Sheppard.
Check this newspaper article out, it even has a picture of the old Fort Sheppard hotel. Boundary is mentioned in the article as being "a stone's throw" away from Fort Sheppard, just across the border.

https://www.nelsonstar.com/community/the-forgotten-townsite-of-fort-sheppard/

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I’m going to have to check out the site once the snow clears out. Might have to see what I can find with a metal detector.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

If we examine the photo from the newspaper article, we can see a large oblong mound behind the hotel:
58331westernstarFortSheppardHotel5.jpg
I would guestimate the distance from the front of the hotel to the track to be roughly 100m.
View of Waneta bridge.jpg
I believe that the hotel was likely situated somewhere in the red circle, perhaps the faint outline on the ground shown in light green is the remnant of the foundation. I figure the photographer was standing somewhere near the star with his view centered as per the arrow shown. What do you guys think?

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have no information to share, I just wanted to say that this is an awesome thread!
If you live in the PNW, and if you haven't already, I highly recommend taking a hike out to the old town site of Monte Cristo. It is amazing, the old town was cut off from society when the only bridge was washed away and it just sits there. Further up the valley, past the townsite are old mines and an amazing waterfall.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
If you live in the PNW, and if you haven't already, I highly recommend taking a hike out to the old town site of Monte Cristo. It is amazing, the old town was cut off from society when the only bridge was washed away and it just sits there. Further up the valley, past the townsite are old mines and an amazing waterfall.
I would like to see that.

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

I have hiked near this location, but not all the way North to the border. There is a trail that accesses this area, starting at twin lakes.. I think I remember a gated fire road that headed east from the lakes too.
Being that it's Mt Baker Wilderness, the rangers might have some knowledge