Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I read all of your rules and I would go on a trip with you anytime. Some people would think you are a prude but your rules keep everyone safe and the bs to a minimum.
Thanks! Would love to have you.

I try to put out as much info and instructions ("rules" if you wish) ahead of time as possible so there are no surprises for anyone on day one or thereafter. I went back and reread what I had written. I don't think there's really anything in there that any person or group putting on an organized run with a bunch of strangers would have issue with. Maybe the one about posting?

For fun I googled "Prude", and found this definition from Mirriam-Webster (which pretty much mirrored other definitions of "prude" I came across):

"A person who is greatly concerned with seemly behavior and morality especially regarding sexual matters"

That was interesting... I'll just let this one alone. But for the record, I have no issues if anyone on one of my runs wants to engage in... oh never mind - this won't end well.

I do like things organized, hence me putting out instructions on radio checks, getting gas, lunch breaks, morning departure times, etc. And I won't apologize for the things like no smoking pot, excessive drinking, unnecessary noise, etc. I've never had anyone complain about them. Maybe my rules and such weed folks out?

My next run? I'm planning a flat-fender run for early next summer to do the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route. The BDR folks plan on putting out the details in 2023.

Link: Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route (ORBDR) - Backcountry Discovery Routes (ridebdr.com)

Depending on how long it is, I might pre-run it with my TJ before leading a group of flat-fenders on the trail.

And if Canada loosens its Covid restrictions in their upper territories, I'd like to do another run up the Dempster Highway to Tuk and toss a kayak in the Arctic Ocean next summer.

Willys and trailer.6 (2).jpg

Reactions: OTH Overland

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
IF it weeds them out, great! I've been on weekend trips that were miserable with ill behaved dogs all over the campsite, people coming in at midnight and making more noise setting up their stuff in the dark. Not fun. I'm ready to do the Dempster to Tuk as it's a bucket list run.

Reactions: Ubiety

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Like I mentioned, if Canada loosens its Covid restrictions for their upper territories, I'd like to take another run at running the Dempster all the way to Tuk (I've gone as far as Inuvik, but that was before the road was extended to Tuk). If you don't plan it, it won't happen. We'll see how the summer starts to shape up next year.

If you're thinking of a Dempster run, get the book "The Milepost". It is the bible for travel in western Canada and Alaska. It'll get you started on planning a trip up there. You can spend hours reading it. It comes out annually.

Link: Home - The MILEPOST

Sorry to hear about your dog issues. I've rarely had dogs on my runs, and it seems like most of the time I've had dogs with us they were very little dogs.

Arctic Trip.3.jpg

Reactions: naysjp

GR8ESC

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast II

Loomis, CA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6WCA
Paul, I really enjoyed reading about your trip. With my recent retirement (partial) I have a little more time on my hands. Can you tell me a little about your trailer? I am considering an offroad teardrop, but what you have might better serve my needs, as well as being lighter and more manageable over some of the more difficult terrain. Thanks again for a great post and report on your journey. Gary

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Paul, I really enjoyed reading about your trip. With my recent retirement (partial) I have a little more time on my hands. Can you tell me a little about your trailer? I am considering an offroad teardrop, but what you have might better serve my needs, as well as being lighter and more manageable over some of the more difficult terrain. Thanks again for a great post and report on your journey. Gary
You're welcome.

The trailer is based off a 4' Harbor Freight trailer frame. The tongue has been extended, factory slipper springs replaced with real leaf springs with a shackle in the rear, the axle is now a Dexter 3500lb axle with electric brakes, and the tub is just a diamond plate box with a lid (shaped like the old WWII trailer tubs). The RTT is really just a Cabela's double sized tent-cot mounted on the lid. It is easily built with almost no welding required. If you can cut angle iron and drill holes, you can build one yourself.

The trailer does great on and off road. Here's a build thread. It is very long, but if you can read through the whole thing it will tell you everything you need to build one of your own. Let me know what I can do to help you if you decide to build one.

Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread | Jeep Enthusiast Forums (jeepforum.com)

Fun short video of trailer in action: (657) TJ and trailer - YouTube

Willys and trailer.7 (3).jpg

GR8ESC

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast II

Loomis, CA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6WCA
Thanks for the information and the link. You're right, it is a long read, but I am sure it will be worthwhile. Not surprising that the first few alternative trailer builders are gone. Ruger is still around and they have a couple of nice models. Harbor Freight is still around and their prices have not escalated too much over the years.

Looking forward to the read and some more research. Thanks again. Gary