Hurricane creek to max patch NC

• HTML tutorial

Steven Kopf

Rank 0

Contributor I

I did the trail back in September after a bunch of rain. I dont think I would do it with a camper. But there is camping along the way. I believe there is a camp ground along Cold Spring Road. You could drop a camper there and do the loop from Max Patch to I40 and then lop back to get the camper. Its a great drive!

ziggy stardust

Rank II

Enthusiast III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
aaron
Last Name
von
Member #

my camper is built into my truck, a wedge tent on the roof along with a kitchen and fridge in the back- more or less just asking if there are some good turn offs along the trail where we could get sidelined and out of anyone elses way to cook and day camp .

thanks

Steven Kopf

Rank 0

Contributor I

You will be fine. My recollection is that there were larger, multi-vehicle spots closer to I40, but there are definitely turn offs along the way. Do you have a winch? There were a few very muddy rutted stretches. I have a 06 Land cruiser. I didnt need to winch but was locked front and rear.

HaywoodRes

Rank 0

Contributor I

Waynesville, NC, USA
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Bean
Please stop advertising Hurricane Creek Rd as an open trail. It is not! It’s a Forrest service road that is currently being destroyed from over use. Forrest Service has posted new signs and will be enforcing the new law on this road. I was run off by a Ranger and was told to let everyone know that it is a closed, private road now.

Pug Loaf

Rank 0

Contributor I

Please stop advertising Hurricane Creek Rd as an open trail. It is not! It’s a Forrest service road that is currently being destroyed from over use. Forrest Service has posted new signs and will be enforcing the new law on this road. I was run off by a Ranger and was told to let everyone know that it is a closed, private road now.
Doesn't sound true. There is no closure notice posted on the official Pisgah national Forest website. Road 233, Haynes, aka Hurricane Creek, shows as an official road on the motor vehicle use map. Care to post any pictures of the signs or identify the "ranger" who stopped you?

jeffw

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

raleigh
Member #

just fyi - the owner of property at end of Hurricane Creek stated the US Forest Service is going to gate and close trail due to folks tearing up trail and throwing trash out.

we road this trail 3 years ago and then 1 month ago and it's amazing all destruction and trash left by those who cannot seem to stop destroying a good thing. there's a muddy and rutted out section that looks like a lot of 2wd vehicles were stuck in judging by all the wood cut and tossed in.

not sure if it's too late to keep this gem open - but please stay on trail, tread lightly and pickup your trash - including bottles/cans thrown into camp fires.

thanks!!!!

1602512305627.png

Attachments

JoeCool

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ormond Beach, Florida
Member #

Thanks for the update, glad you were able to enjoy it before they closed it. It's a shame that a few bad apples ruin everything for the rest of us.

Bird dog overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chicago
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Cameron
Member #

Yeah, it is open as of this past weekend, but I can certainly understand why they’d close it. Too bad people don’t understand that not every trail is meant to be an off road park. Glad I got to enjoy it before it ended.

KentD

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Sylva, NC
First Name
Kent
Last Name
DeLaet
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UBM
I spoke to a ranger about a year ago who said it was going to be seasonally gated/closed for Winter. They didn't close it this season though, so who knows what they're doing.

Contributor I

Detroit, MI, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Welton
I did Hurricane yesterday, my first off-road experience. Had my wife and two dogs with me in a stock Rubicon Gladiator. Just us and no gear. It was a lot of fun! There’s no way 2wd would do it at this point, there are a few deep ruts and a couple slick rocks. Trail looked clean from trash. We only ran into one other vehicle, a 4Runner, and we were taking our time so we let him by. And of course he immediately got stuck going up a rock and had to winch it up. We went up it with little effort. The stock Gladiator made me look like I knew what I was doing. I screwed up and went right at the fork up Wesley Creek, that section of trail was sketchy due to the climb, there were rocks at a few sharp corners with a steep drop. Bummed I missed Max Patch, would love to see some pics of it.

I’m new to this but we’re hoping to do an overland trip west in the future (current trip was supposed to be that but got tripped up at last minute). I write, sometimes about cars, and I’ve done a bunch of road trips with FCA. The Jeep is Jeep’s but we’re thinking about buying one. Had a blast!

As we circled back around on i40 my wife noticed the gate had been closed. Do they shut the gates at a certain time?

Attachments

Bird dog overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chicago
First Name
Jody
Last Name
Cameron
Member #

I did Hurricane yesterday, my first off-road experience. Had my wife and two dogs with me in a stock Rubicon Gladiator. Just us and no gear. It was a lot of fun! There’s no way 2wd would do it at this point, there are a few deep ruts and a couple slick rocks. Trail looked clean from trash. We only ran into one other vehicle, a 4Runner, and we were taking our time so we let him by. And of course he immediately got stuck going up a rock and had to winch it up. We went up it with little effort. The stock Gladiator made me look like I knew what I was doing. I screwed up and went right at the fork up Wesley Creek, that section of trail was sketchy due to the climb, there were rocks at a few sharp corners with a steep drop. Bummed I missed Max Patch, would love to see some pics of it.

I’m new to this but we’re hoping to do an overland trip west in the future (current trip was supposed to be that but got tripped up at last minute). I write, sometimes about cars, and I’ve done a bunch of road trips with FCA. The Jeep is Jeep’s but we’re thinking about buying one. Had a blast!

As we circled back around on i40 my wife noticed the gate had been closed. Do they shut the gates at a certain time?
I didn’t have any problems with 4Runner last month, must have been the driver, lol

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
Saving this info. Hopefully making this run in a full-size post Christmas weather permitting.

How’s the snowfall up this area?