OB Approved How to Install a Roof Top Tent

• HTML tutorial

TacoTom

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville Alabama
Member #

Considering an RTT? Here's how to install one!

I watched this last night! Great video. I have a 2013 Tacoma. I have been working on getting it overland worthy past 2 years. EMU lift kit with ol man Emu shocks, Total Chaos stabilizer bar, ARB lights, front bumper and skid plate etc. now I’m ready for roof tent but not sure which roof rack fits best with this tent... any suggestions?

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I watched this last night! Great video. I have a 2013 Tacoma. I have been working on getting it overland worthy past 2 years. EMU lift kit with ol man Emu shocks, Total Chaos stabilizer bar, ARB lights, front bumper and skid plate etc. now I’m ready for roof tent but not sure which roof rack fits best with this tent... any suggestions?
This tent will mount on just about any roof rack that has two cross bars. Rhino Rack has several great options. Give them a call and they can help you pick out the right combination of parts.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I just ordered the load bars from Front Runner and am going to get the Tepui Tents Kukenam Sky 3 Tent. I chose that tent because it has good reviews but also (and a huge part) because I can get free shipping here through our local REI.
I see you're in Alaska... yeah the shipping would be a big one.

Reactions: Montaska

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I'm really happy with my 23Zero tent. Great video btw. I went a different route and built low profile mounts on my rack. No need for the track bars. Tent bolts directly to the rack.

wuebben_7429

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Mt Sterling, Ohio
Member #

I’m in the process of selecting a roof rack and planning to get a rtt eventually...how ever rack I look at has a weight capacity of 300 lbs +/- 50 or so lbs. Is that enough to support me, my wife, our kid(s), AND the rtt itself?

By the way I have a 4 door wrangler

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I’m in the process of selecting a roof rack and planning to get a rtt eventually...how ever rack I look at has a weight capacity of 300 lbs +/- 50 or so lbs. Is that enough to support me, my wife, our kid(s), AND the rtt itself?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
It can be a little tricky to figure out what will work. If the rack manufacturer provides lots of info look into the dynamic weight rating versus the static weight rating. (What it can carry while on the move vs when parked and no other external forces are at play.)
Im no jeep expert but theres loads of youtubers with jeeps that you could see what racks they use. Some sort of exo-skeleton style rack might work since it puts all the weight down the the frame of the jeep.

JimPII

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mentor Ohio
Member #

I am in the process of trying to outfit my wrangler with a rtt. the more research I do the more questions I have. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Sorry that I can't post links. I'll point you to the rack I've got my eye on for my rig.

Look up the warrior platform roof rack at 4wheelparts website. Rated at 1000lbs. Of course your roof may not handle all that weight but at least the rack is rated for it.

Marc Simcox

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Newport Beach, CA, USA
Member #

Is there a specific reason that almost all RTT’s are mounted to deploy to the side? I’ve been looking for one that deploys to the back, but now that I see that there are very few, I’m wondering if there is a specific reason for it being that way. Can a side deploy RTT be turned to deploy to the back?

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Is there a specific reason that almost all RTT’s are mounted to deploy to the side? I’ve been looking for one that deploys to the back, but now that I see that there are very few, I’m wondering if there is a specific reason for it being that way. Can a side deploy RTT be turned to deploy to the back?
Yes. Most can be turned. Just have to turn around the rails mounted to the bottom. Most people mount them to the side because of hatch style rear doors, I know for the 4runner, it opens way higher than the bottom of a deployed RTT. But I’ve seen jeeps and vehicles with barn door style rests mount their RTT to open rearward. Honestly if it worked with my rear door I’d probably prefer it that way.

redhat6161

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Patrick
Member #

Anyone have a solution on getting the RTT on top of the vehicle solo? My neighbors are all in their 60's :-(

I was looking at some of the hitch mounted cranes like the one in the link below but I doubt i'd get the extension needed to get the RTT on top of the jeep.

MaxxHaul 70238 Receiver Hitch Mounted Crane - 1000 lbs. Capacity

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I always found that a case of microbrew, some bbq and a half dozen friends could help on jobs like that.

Don't rule out us old farts as far as helping.

Reactions: redhat6161