How to heat a rooftop tent?

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Bend, Oregon, USA
First Name
Bailey
Last Name
Elliott
I am trying to find a way to heat my rooftop tent, I understand the idea of using more blankets and better sleeping bags however I'd like to be able to work remotely in my rooftop tent. It's kind of hard to do that when your smothered in blankets. Thanks for any and all insight

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Diesel, or maybe propane heater (furnace type, not a buddy heater) maybe?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If you really want reliable heat and comfort for living out of your rig ditch the RTT and get a truck camper or a trailer .

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We only use our annex in cold temps. The Mr Buddy heater sitting on a stool, burning on the lowest setting, with the door slit open an inch or two and the rear window up top opened up a bit, kept us quite warm in teen degree weather. I shut it off after the last “squirt the dirt walk” and close up the tent. Early AM, I’ll climb down, squirt the dirt, fire it up, crack the doors and windows, and sleep till the sun comes up, awakening to a toast warm tent, turn it off, get dressed and begin our day. It sounds like a hassle, but it really isn’t. It sure beats getting up a 3 or 4 AM and having to shovel coal or fill up the wood burner.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I use a diesel heater myself. I also have an old catalytic tent heater that does a decent job of heating my awning room. I'll definitely recommend using a diesel heater for the rtt. If you have any insulation at all, a 2kw model will probably be more than enough.

Lonsind

Rank 0

Contributor I

Baton Rouge, LA, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Mayfield
I've had good luck using a portable propane heater in my rooftop tent. Just make sure it's one that's safe for indoor use and has a built-in safety shut-off. Also, cracking a window for ventilation is key to prevent condensation and keep fresh air flowing. Keeps things cozy without the bulk of too many blankets!

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
I am trying to find a way to heat my rooftop tent, I understand the idea of using more blankets and better sleeping bags however I'd like to work remotely in my rooftop tent. It's hard to do that when you're smothered in blankets click here. Thanks for any insight
Consider using a portable heater designed for camping or outdoor use. Ensure it's safe for indoor use, and prioritize ventilation to avoid carbon monoxide buildup. Insulating your tent can also help retain heat. Always prioritize safety when using heating devices in enclosed spaces.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I have a roof top tent with an insulation layer and we just have an electric blanket that we sleep on top of and one comforter blanket for a cover and things are warm and comfortable for myself and the wife down to nighttime temperatures of around 20 degrees so far. Haven't tested this combo in colder temps yet.

Enthusiast III

Aylmer, ON, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Krauter
Service Branch
Canadian Army
I have a buddy heater and the winter insulation kit in my tent.

The buddy heater sits in the vestibule (as our kids don't winter camp with us) without the floor in so there is fresh airflow into the space.

I have had it down to -10C* before the wind chill and we have to sleep pretty close to uncovered in just light pants and shirts to be comfy.

Life hack as well. Keep a portable bucket toilet in there and empty each morning. It makes the late night bathroom breaks so much easier and my wife loves me more because no wandering to find the tree at 3am in the dark and cold.
IMG_20230409_091315.jpg

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I strongly recommend if you go with a forced air heating system... bite the bullet and go propane. odds are you already carry propane, so one less fuel to worry about (n/a if you have a diesel rig). @PapaDave has a propane heater and the nice thing is it's reliable at all temps... (I've fought with mine a ton under 20* and have to keep it in my rig and fire it right up as soon as I take it out or I end up with sensor errors) and his cycles on/off to maintain temps... diesels will only go high/low never off... and in a RTT low is all you ever really want. Same Camp, single digit temps in Montana in January Dave was able to maintain 65 in his tent... while I, 30' away was sitting at 70-75 with windows open...(couldn't shut it off because I feared it wouldn't turn back on) fast forward to April, mid 20's at night, Dave still at 65, I was 80 and climbing with all windows open on low, had to shut it off... dropped to 40... turned it back on (thankfully it fired back up) back up to 80 in a few min.
Unfortunately this means I have to plan on my diesel heater NOT working so I can't really bring less bedding (lighter bag)without risking freezing due to sensor failures.

if you're serious about 4 season camping, which I am, propane heat exchanger is the only way to go for an RTT IMO)

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I strongly recommend if you go with a forced air heating system... bite the bullet and go propane. odds are you already carry propane, so one less fuel to worry about (n/a if you have a diesel rig). @PapaDave has a propane heater and the nice thing is it's reliable at all temps... (I've fought with mine a ton under 20* and have to keep it in my rig and fire it right up as soon as I take it out or I end up with sensor errors) and his cycles on/off to maintain temps... diesels will only go high/low never off... and in a RTT low is all you ever really want. Same Camp, single digit temps in Montana in January Dave was able to maintain 65 in his tent... while I, 30' away was sitting at 70-75 with windows open...(couldn't shut it off because I feared it wouldn't turn back on) fast forward to April, mid 20's at night, Dave still at 65, I was 80 and climbing with all windows open on low, had to shut it off... dropped to 40... turned it back on (thankfully it fired back up) back up to 80 in a few min.
Unfortunately this means I have to plan on my diesel heater NOT working so I can't really bring less bedding (lighter bag)without risking freezing due to sensor failures.

if you're serious about 4 season camping, which I am, propane heat exchanger is the only way to go for an RTT IMO)
True story.

Reactions: Ebbs

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I mounted my Propex to my rack inside of ammo cans so that it stores everything I need. Easy cuz I’m a lazy camper, I’d rather do all the work ahead of time.

Attachments

Reactions: Ebbs