How much work does it take you to get into overlanding mode?

• HTML tutorial

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
As I was under the landy today attacking an endless list of things to do, it got me wondering if I'm alone with the endless amounts of things to be done before the prime seasons for adventuring?

Normally I set my landy up in to two modes, offroading and adventure. I just finished my Småland Traxx last weekend and now it's adventure time.

The bigger heavier things were done today. With the help of my son we got the rooftop tent, the solar panel, the awning and the rear steps have been installed.

IMG_20180506_172553.jpg

Earlier in the week I already changed tires from the 35" mud tires to the 33" all terrains.

Tommorrow the plan is remove the wheel arch extensions and reinstating the original wheel arches, then installing the air 1000 air bags.

I'm sure that I'm not finished at this point, but am I the only one that "changes mode" with their vehicle and has an endless list of things to do?

Todd.

Last edited:

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I've gotten a lot of practice over the last few years. Most of my time is spent going to the grocery store and finding the clothes I want to take. Packing the gear only takes a few minutes after that.

Last edited:

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I have a minor version of mode change. I usually ditch the hard shell RTT and awning in winter, leaving the cross bars in place. (Although this year I plan on leaving them on because we have a second car now.) So that was something to do as the season starts. The drawers stay semi-packed with kitchen and vehicle expendables so not much to do there. I do take out the bottom of the back seats before a longer trip so I can use the footwell room. The vehicle mods remain the same including tires.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Same here, check fluids, tire pressure, check inventory on the cases, pack food, done.

We keep the RTT on full time, and will soon have RoadShowers mounted also, so we are always ready to go... I see no need to remove equipment that is mounted with nylocks and driven around town.

James

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Same here, check fluids, tire pressure, check inventory on the cases, pack food, done.

We keep the RTT on full time, and will soon have RoadShowers mounted also, so we are always ready to go... I see no need to remove equipment that is mounted with nylocks and driven around town.

James
I hope to be leaving the RTT on full time now with the addition of a second car. In the larger German cities (I live in one) outside parking is super, super limited. If I go into the city center I’ve got to be able to fit into the parking garages. That affected lift and roof rack considerations. With a 2 inch lift and my Alu-cab crossbars, using UpRacks feet, shes just around 1.98 meters. With an RTT, forget it. Second car = problem solved.

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
I'm unable to keep the RTT on the landy as I do use it for offroading but it is on for about 5 months of the year.

Well my list seems to be getting shorter, the airlift bags are in and I changed the extented wheel arches back to the originals.

IMG_20180507_095721_resized.jpg

IMG_20180507_101550_resized.jpg

IMG_20180507_121019_resized.jpg

IMG_20180507_114214_resized.jpg

So typical when I putting the tools away, I looked over at the workbank and saw the set of led lights that I was planning to install on the roll cage for lighting under the awning.

Todd.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I'm unable to keep the RTT on the landy as I do use it for offroading but it is on for about 5 months of the year.

Well my list seems to be getting shorter, the airlift bags are in and I changed the extented wheel arches back to the originals.

So typical when I putting the tools away, I looked over at the workbank and saw the set of led lights that I was planning to install on the roll cage for lighting under the awning.

Todd.
Todd, love the shorty. I just saw a 90 here on base for sale. Alas, three years too late. Are you swapping back and forth just once per year? That seems manageable, but is still work.

There is always something to do...

Rick

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Todd, love the shorty. I just saw a 90 here on base for sale. Alas, three years too late. Are you swapping back and forth just once per year? That seems manageable, but is still work.

There is always something to do...

Rick
Rick,
I normally change 2 times a year due to the offroading that I organize. This year I decided to put the original wheel arches back on because of the screws rusting, I want to find a better solution. I do Agree Rick, there's always something to do. I just walked over to the post office and picked up the new clutch kit.......is that list getting smaller or longer? :dizzy:

Todd.

Reactions: NotGumby

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Help me a little bit... Why are you doing so much? I really don't understand that...

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
When I winter camp in the XJ I have to take 2 child seats out, remove the bench and fold the rear seat down. It just about breaks me. lol. I keep mine ready to camp, off-road, fish, kayak, and explorer all year round to keep it easy when I need to go. Its also my daily driver (80/day).

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I agree, if it’s not easy, I don’t wanna do it.

I work a full time job, am married, have 3 young kids, try and stay in shape, and we go to church twice a week. The last thing I want to do is add more stress, and take more time away from my wife and kids. They don’t deserve anything less than all of me. That’s why I sold all my loner toys, and now overland/camp with them.

I’m all for repairing broken stuff, and adding creature comforts within reason (just installed two Road Shower 4S’ tonight actually)... but our vehicles need to be ready to go, to help us be willing to go.

James

Reactions: MuckSavage

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Open the back doors, throw stuff (literally) in the backseat, refuel, add food/drinks and off I go.
Ja, but you are cheating a little there Joey! You walk out the front door, get in your truck and drive only 100 meters to which your already on an adventure in beautiful Norway. Every turn is there something new and why I absolutely love Norway and visit every year. ........I'm jealous Joey! :tongueclosed:

Todd.

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Help me a little bit... Why are you doing so much? I really don't understand that...
I think that this little clip that I put together from my cell phone should explain a bit more:

As you can see the trails that we drive your not able to have the rtt or the awning on, you'll simply tear them off or seriously damage them in no time. The airbags the same, punctures in no time flat. You see my Land Rover is like a swiss army knife, it's a multi tool which performs several functions from trial leader to a relaxing trip down a wooded gravel road with the wife looking for a new camping location for the night. Because of this I have to put the extra effort into changing the landy from one mode to the other.

As I'm getting older I do agree that it's a lot of work but on the other hand it gives me the opportunity to get under and around the landy to see what may need looking at or repaired, etc. ......If it was an ideal world I would have an other vehicle for overlanding. :smile:

Todd.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I think that this little clip that I put together from my cell phone should explain a bit more:

As you can see the trails that we drive your not able to have the rtt or the awning on, you'll simply tear them off or seriously damage them in no time. The airbags the same, punctures in no time flat. You see my Land Rover is like a swiss army knife, it's a multi tool which performs several functions from trial leader to a relaxing trip down a wooded gravel road with the wife looking for a new camping location for the night. Because of this I have to put the extra effort into changing the landy from one mode to the other.

As I'm getting older I do agree that it's a lot of work but on the other hand it gives me the opportunity to get under and around the landy to see what may need looking at or repaired, etc. ......If it was an ideal world I would have an other vehicle for overlanding. :smile:

Todd.
Well, ok then I see how that makes sense for you.
I would not do that much, just leave it as it is and put on the roof carrier with your tent and the awning and your ready to go ;-)

Daniel Eversen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Løgstrup, Denmark
Member #

I put on my rtt, awning and pack my personal belongings the only thing that's allways in my car is the drawer system. The reason why I dont drive around with it all the time is partly because its my daily driver, and the other reason is that I really like to go around and "preparing" my car weather is the short weekend trips or long vacations.

Jesper Løwe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Denmark
First Name
Jesper
Last Name
Løwe
Member #

Know it´s an old thread, but just pitching in..

Weekends:
RTT is alwasy on, and kitchen box is always packed.
Sleeping equipment is 2 minuts packdown, clothes is 10 minutes. and we shop on the way.
Dog is 2 minutes to pack food and sleeping gear.

Spares.. none...
Recovery gear: always in the car
Tools.. what will fit in a biltema suitcase and a wheel wrench.

So all in all "Get out of town in 20 minutes Stuff.

Vacations/Trips:
RTT is alwasy on, and kitchen box is always packed.
Sleeping equipment is 2 minuts packdown, clothes is 2 days :-) and we shop on the way.
Dog is 10 minutes to pack food and sleeping gear.

Spares.. UJ´s , wires, fuses.
Recovery gear: always in the car
Tools.. what will fit in a biltema suitcase and a wheel wrench.

I love the preparing of the car, and is always looking to improve the setup.