How much weight could a roof rack hold if a roof rack could hold weight???

• HTML tutorial

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Hello all...

I’m looking for some advice here. I have this ongoing build (see here: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2003-ford-expedition-full-size-overland-build.11553/)

It’s a 2003 Ford Expedition that includes a 1” EMT roof rack welded by a professional welder, internally gusseted at each joint along the outside rail.

A 4’x4’ CVT roof top tent is mounted at the rear, 3 Plano cases are mounted up there also, one holding kitchen gear including a camp stove, one holding lightweight backpacking sleeping bags, and the last case holding food supplies.

The front overhang has 4 maxtrax knock offs, and I have no plans to add anything extra to the front overhang.

A small shovel is mounted on the driver’s side rear of the rack, and a 4’ plastic Lifetime folding table is mounted underneath the back of the rack.

I’d like to add a small 4 gallon Road Shower, or perhaps a 7 gallon... but i’m eventually going to get to the end of my weight rating...

I was hoping you guys could give me some insight as to how much more I could realistically put up there, including the roof top tent sleeping two adults...

*Please note how the rack is mounted to the roof, and how many vertical supports I have up there holding everything together...

Thanks!
James

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
My bigger concern would be the amount of weight up high and how that weight effects your center of gravity, vehicle handling, vehicle performance/braking during an emergency maneuver like a sudden swerve.

On my homemade roof rack I've had several adults standing up on the roof rack, and it felt solid with no noticeable deflection or flexing at all. I'm not an expert but I'm sure your vehicle roof could hold that static weight.

Have you considered moving some your roof stuff to a hitch mounted carrier?

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

It's the dynamic load that can get you. Some vehicle manufactures list roof loading limits, but I don't understand exactly how they calculate it. I think most list static loading. Many seem really low. Either the roof structure can be damaged or more likely your rack mounts. If you just weld to the roof and several places, that would seem to be pretty strong, but i dont know what options you have.

RTT's are pretty heavy and also the water tanks. I'd avoid that water tank if you could. The big problem is you won't really know if you exceed a limit until something breaks on the trail.

My rack mounts in 8 places with bolts through spacers straight down into the factory roof rail mount points. The roof loading limits are pretty high on Land Rovers but I do my best to watch how much I put in my roof cases. I use two Pelican 1730s which are big and heavy, but I limit the weight in them.

The rack itself is 1" steel bar made by voyager off road and handles my 6'4" father pretty easily without bending much. And it has a glass roof, so that is important. I have plastic chicken coop flooring (polymax from farmtek) on my rack for walking on.

Very old picture, from when it was almost stock.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Ya, that looks very strong. As long as those channels are tough, I doubt you will have issues with it.