Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I have to ask! Really how much? Is it cost of or how pretty it looks to Overland?

Then it comes down to 'overlanding'... When the heck did this become a thing? We all have been driving, camping, exploring for many moons.. At least some of s have.. Now more.

I see these rigs on the my path costing beyond 100K's and betting some are closer to 500K. Really, is this what it's become? Spend more to be cool?

F#$K cool!

Drive what you have and enjoy what you can! Improve along the way.
The real game here is to explore and enjoy.

I only write this because of the snob I met in Joshua Tree with his 500K unit.. Three others I met there in lesser then.. We're so much cooler! We shared experiences!

What you have is what you have! I live it and enjoy it!

Safe Travels all!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

What are you looking for here? Some affirmation that people are spending too much, and/or folks with the more expensive rigs are jerks? I'm not even sure what "Is it cost of or how pretty it looks to Overland?" means or is asking. But maybe I'm just a jerk because my rig is kind of expensive.

-TJ

dboy

Rank III

Traveler III

Oregon
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Jaquith
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7LDA
Looks like you have an F-150 with a camper/tent setup on the back.

What? is a F-140 and ground tent not good enough for you? Snob.

• Haha
Reactions: Viking1204

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Interesting question. I start with "Other peoples words only have the power you give them." My rig is for me, not for others to look at. It is set up for the way I travel, It looks more like a construction truck the an overlander. No RTT, nothing hanging off the sides, no ditch lights. It works for the way I travel. I like a life a bit closer to the bone with a bit more gristle than most.

I followed a earth roamer rig down a wash board road once, that thing was very top heavy and slow, they wouldn't follow me to another spot as it was to rough, their words. They were far more comfortable while in camp and spent a lot of time inside the rig. It's what they wanted, I prefer the outside. Tons of money spent on a rig that looks impressive but couldn't get a spot because of it's limitations. You want to drive around looking like you have a fully kited rig have it.
Life is a trade off, you do you!

There is a "rooster syndrome" that takes place, a couple of guys standing around flapping their wings trying to better each other. I see it a lot, I stopped playing that game a while ago.

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

...spent a lot of time inside the rig. It's what they wanted, I prefer the outside...
Very good point...

I've gone through this somewhat for our other mode of "adventure travel": RVs. We've had a few big Class A "Diesel Pusher" RVs with slides down both sides. They were nicer inside than most homes, and way bigger than my studio apartment in college. But, I found with 4 TVs, big over-stuffed recliners, etc. etc. we'd spend way too much time IN them, and they were very limiting for anything but big RV parks tailored to big luxury RVs. We've sold our most recent one and are waiting on a much smaller, 4x4, Diesel Super C. Now, it's 4x4, but I don't consider it an Overlander by ANY stretch of the imagination. Anyway, it's much much smaller inside, but the wife and I are (currently) okay and even excited by that as a forcing function to be OUTSIDE and enjoying the place we go more.

The same can happen with Overlanding. I *hope* my rig (full size 2500 on 37"s with a Fourwheel Camper) is juuuuust on the right side of the equation. It's big, and has a lot of capacity and capability opening up more remote, tougher trails to me. But it's not SO big that it's particularly limiting or tempting to spend all of my time IN it. Sure, on a rainy day I can cook inside and there's a little room to "hang out" with maybe 2-3 people. But overall, I much prefer to be outside of it than inside...

-TJ

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Everyone has different budgets and goals. Overlanding is whatever YOU want it to be and what other people do should have no bearing on you. Your argument could be used just about anywhere in society. Someone will always have a more expensive car, a bigger house, a bigger boat, more money...who cares? What I've spent on my setup is my business and based on our wants/needs. If someone else buys an EarthRoamer does that suddenly make what I have useless?

It's not a competition and letting what other people do get to you is giving other people the power to determine your self-worth. And if that's not what's happening here then I'm not sure why you even posted? Seems like it's coming from a feeling of jealousy.

The uber expensive rigs are cool, but I have no use for one. They're too big to make it to the best camp spots. Use what you can afford and that allows you to go the places you want. Who cares what other people do with their money and time?

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Don't make yourself a victim and give others power about how you see yourself. He's rich and needs to show it? Well if that is what makes him happy let him show of, smile and turn into a small rough trail and show him pictures of places he can't reach... Just kidding...
I don't care, there's always someone richer, taller, better, cooler that will try to put others down.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I always look at the founding principles of this community.. Overlanding is vehicle based travel, and It does not matter what you drive are the first two on the list. If someone wants to travel in a old VW bug sleeping in a bedroll on the ground, or prefers to roll in a Earth roamer with every gadget known to mind, they are both meeting the requirements in my book. I refuse to judge anyone for their choice in vehicles, equipment, dollars spent or not spent, I will just applaud them for getting out and exploring at what ever level they choose. I have met some awesome people from all spectrums in this group, and a few that were not so nice, but that has been very rare. Choice of rig or money has not seem to have any impact on that. Respect the places you travel, be civil, and we will get along and most likely we will all learn at least something from each other in passing.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Based on the subject I thought this thread was going to be asking "how much should I spend on my overlandy rig?", which would be a new twist on "what are the first X mods I should do?".

If the question is "how much is too much to spend on an overlandy rig?", then like the above questions everybody's answer is going to be different and depend on their own personal situation.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We have owned 2 wranglers in the same time as our 2015 patriot. We also owned a 2010 patriot. The wranglers have moved on, the pat is still in the driveway. It's cheaper to own, operate and still takes us to the exact same places the wranglers did. Everything from wear items to gas to tires is way cheaper with the patriot. It's comfortable, roomy, can go most places that anything else can go. Then there is our Sylvansport. The anti earthroamer. It has 2 bed and a table, or one big bed. We get in it and sleep, or eat. The three of us are outside otherwise. Makes for great family time. Outside enjoying the air and nature. I have always went against the grain when it came to vehicles etc. Choosing different things than the "norm".

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I only write this because of the snob I met in Joshua Tree with his 500K uni
Joshua Tree.. not surprised. Same with parts of Death Valley. I frequent most of the western mountains and deserts, some places its worse than others with the more popular areas is where I normally see them. I've met so many of the type over the years.
My favorite most recent one was stopping at the Mojave Road mailbox. This small group lead by a shiny black H1 Hummer comes blasting in. The road right there has very heavy whoops. These guys were slamming their suspension hard as they came to a stop. They all hop out laughing having clearly enjoyed hammering their stock vehicles into the ground. The guy from the Hummer comes over to ask me a question about my Cruiser. Then he goes into detail about how his stock Hummer is the better choice for all off-roading.
Cant fix stupid.

The last few days I did some exploring out in the eastern Mojave. I saw a stock newer Explorer, two nice well set up older Cherokees, a 5ish year old Nissan PU (2wd) and what looked like a single mom in a rented camper van. I chatted will all of them but the camper van. All were "Overlanding", none were idiots.

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

The same can happen with Overlanding. I *hope* my rig (full size 2500 on 37"s with a Fourwheel Camper) is juuuuust on the right side of the equation. It's big, and has a lot of capacity and capability opening up more remote, tougher trails to me. But it's not SO big that it's particularly limiting or tempting to spend all of my time IN it. Sure, on a rainy day I can cook inside and there's a little room to "hang out" with maybe 2-3 people. But overall, I much prefer to be outside of it than inside...

-TJ
Similar setup to mine. and I love it. if its super windy or rainy I have a refuge. other than that the rig is for sleeping, beer fridge and sometimes cooking.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

The reality is there are several catego of overlanders…

1. Those that spend a ton of money on gear, leave it on the vehicle, but never leave the pavement.

2. Those that spend a ton on gear but actually overland.

3. Those that spend money on gear, leave some of it on the vehicle, but actually overland travel.

4. Same as #3 but remove everything that can be easily removed between trips.

I personally fit category #4 but have a kid that fits #1. My kid has spent about 5X what I have spent without ever going real overlanding.

The reality is overland vehicles are currently considered to look “cool” and some people wanna look cool.

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
I'd say the minimum to spend is $127,373.63 to be considered an overlander, otherwise you're just four wheeling and camping

And that last 63 cents is the most important or you will not be allowed to overland.

You also need your Instagram handle as a decal on your rig and at least 500 followers in order to be considered, but you have to spend the money first

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

1. Those that spend a ton of money on gear, leave it on the vehicle, but never leave the pavement.

3. Those that spend money on gear, leave some of it on the vehicle, but actually overland travel.

I personally fit category #4 but have a kid that fits #1. My kid has spent about 5X what I have spent without ever going real overlanding.

The reality is overland vehicles are currently considered to look “cool” and some people wanna look cool.
I'm #3, or I guess #2 if the implication was that #2 "leaves all the gear on/in the rig." I leave my truck as setup as possible, because my time to Overland is very limited (often I just have 1 night). I try to leave my truck fueled up, and enough food/water etc. in the Fourwheel Camper that I can literally walk out of work and go camp *right now* of the opportunity presents itself. Sure, when time allows I'll stop at the grocery store to get fresh steaks instead of eating pasta or chili that is kept in the FWC, but basically EVERYTHING stays in/on the rig. During the week I walk to/from my office and the rig stays parked in the back parking lot of my office (which has 24/7 guards/cams). So I'm not leaving the stuff on there to be extra cool-guy cruising around town. There's just no purpose to (or time for) me taking everything off/out after every trip...

-TJ

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
I'm a #5

"Has some gear that he leaves on the rig all the time rather than store it in the garage and goes wheeling a lot but usually only on day trips with camping being sprinkled in from time to time"

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Seems most folks got the main point of this 'sport' is about the adventure. Not how much you spent.

Six years back I met folks from Spain traveling in a Unimog. They where some of the coolest folks I've met on the road. Ya someone spent many dollars to get this unit setup, but they were average folk when it came to talkin'/sharin'/enjoyin' life as we now call Overlanding.

It used to just be traveling, but somehow it became 'cool' to be an overlander vs. a traveler. I still think of myself as a traveler, though I run those same roads you folks do.

I've met some many good folk over the many years and hope to met many more.

Safe Travels

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Now this kinda fits what I just posted. I really fit none of these. I'm a Traveler, in a rig that goes most anywhere and has gear that will get me there and back.. most times (lol).. or with some effort..

Guess I'm not cool!

Safe Travels

Reactions: 64Trvlr

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Seems most folks got the main point of this 'sport' is about the adventure. Not how much you spent.
I think the larger issue is that you're thinking everyone should fit your definition of what overlanding (or whatever you want to call it) is and are taking issue with those that don't fit your definition, whether it has to do with how much money someone spent or their attitude. If we were all the same then life would be pretty boring.

As long as you're wasting time focusing on others you are wasting time not enjoying your own life. You need to get over the idea that overlanding is something clearly defined and rigid. It's not. In reality, you should be welcoming all kinds that are partaking in this activity and not dismissing those that don't fit your definition or requirements. If you want to create a club with strict entry requirements based on personality and/or vehicle/gear cost then go right ahead, but OB is not that place. You didn't invent overlanding and acting like a gatekeeper is not going to win you any points.

Reactions: grubworm

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I think the larger issue is that you're thinking everyone should fit your definition of what overlanding (or whatever you want to call it) is and are taking issue with those that don't fit your definition, whether it has to do with how much money someone spent or their attitude. If we were all the same then life would be pretty boring.

As long as you're wasting time focusing on others you are wasting time not enjoying your own life. You need to get over the idea that overlanding is something clearly defined and rigid. It's not. In reality, you should be welcoming all kinds that are partaking in this activity and not dismissing those that don't fit your definition or requirements. If you want to create a club with strict entry requirements based on personality and/or vehicle/gear cost then go right ahead, but OB is not that place. You didn't invent overlanding and acting like a gatekeeper is not going to win you any points.
Wow did you miss the point... Sorry that you have.. I also seem to have offended you in a large way. My apologies.
Safe Travels Drax!
Still hope that I see you out there at some point.

Reactions: shansonpac