How likely is satellite communication in the upcoming iPhone 13?

• HTML tutorial

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Rumors on the interwebs are beginning to circulate that the iPhone 13 will support Globalstar satellite communication. How likely would this be without some kind of external antenna?

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Seems to be very unlikely... Even though the used chipset might technically support the needed frequency bands, it doesn't mean that it is used or even activated.

Maybe they will have a "pro" version than can use satellite communication.

Having a powerful chipset and not using it is quite typical, for example the GPS chipsets are often capable of doing much more than they are allowed to, because the common user does not need a full feature GPS with high accuracy, same as the satellite coms, 99% will never need it...

Reactions: Billiebob

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Yeah, I intend to agree with most of that. If it does happen though I think it'd be more likely that Apple would have chosen Starlink.
Well, Starlink is a totally different kind of satellite communications service. It doesn't compete with the services the chipset supports that Apple may end up using. Starlink is for satellite internet access from fixed locations, whereas satellite comms via services like Globalstar (the one mentioned in the article linked in this thread), Iridium, and Inmarsat would be utilized for voice/data comms from mobile devices.

The reason Globalstar was mentioned as being likely is because that is the service that Qualcomm helped start as a joint venture and it's the Qualcomm chipset, not Apple's own chipset, that would support that kind of communication. Apple has been using Qualcomm chipsets for comms for years.

I think it would be great to have satellite comms support in a mainstream mobile phone, but I think it's unlikely that it will happen here if only for the fact that I don't see how a suitable satellite antenna would be able to fit inside the body of an iPhone. Additionally, enabling satellite comms would be a huge battery drain when there's poor or no signal coverage. Anyone with a Garmin inReach will be able to tell you how quickly the battery drains when it keeps trying to sync.

It's just not feasible, IMO.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Well, Starlink is a totally different kind of satellite communications service. It doesn't compete with the services the chipset supports that Apple may end up using. Starlink is for satellite internet access from fixed locations, whereas satellite comms via services like Globalstar (the one mentioned in the article linked in this thread), Iridium, and Inmarsat would be utilized for voice/data comms from mobile devices.

The reason Globalstar was mentioned as being likely is because that is the service that Qualcomm helped start as a joint venture and it's the Qualcomm chipset, not Apple's own chipset, that would support that kind of communication. Apple has been using Qualcomm chipsets for comms for years.

I think it would be great to have satellite comms support in a mainstream mobile phone, but I think it's unlikely that it will happen here if only for the fact that I don't see how a suitable satellite antenna would be able to fit inside the body of an iPhone. Additionally, enabling satellite comms would be a huge battery drain when there's poor or no signal coverage. Anyone with a Garmin inReach will be able to tell you how quickly the battery drains when it keeps trying to sync.

It's just not feasible, IMO.
Right. I'm thinking that the rumors of having satellite comms may be correct, and the chipset wrong. Considering how Apple likes to do things I can see an Apple commercial with someone Facetiming with Grandma from their hike in the wilds of the Olympic Peninsula. This would be in line with exactly what Starlink was built for. This is all absolute wild speculation, of course. But I guess we're now on the record. :)

Reactions: DRAX

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Billiebob