Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
I have a 2007 Tacoma DCLB and really need to clean the years of dirt and grime off the engine bay. What is the best way to do this? Also, do I need to worry about spraying water in there with the battery and electronics?

Appreciate any suggestions or tips you can offer.

Cheers

-- Bennett

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
As a suggestion I would search for that on a Toyota Tacoma specific forum, They can provide detailed do's and don'ts specific to your year make and model. I hope this helps and good luck!!! That's what I did for the FJ on FJ cruiser forums and found tons of info!!!!!

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
As a suggestion I would search for that on a Toyota Tacoma specific forum, They can provide detailed do's and don'ts specific to your year make and model. I hope this helps and good luck!!! That's what I did for the FJ on FJ cruiser forums and found tons of info!!!!!
This

Traveler I

Have you ever tried the Gunk engine degreaser? I’ve got a Jeep and have a good experiences with the cleaner and detailed stuff they make. The detaile makes the dirt I’m too lazy to clean off less noticeable plus it helps break it up for the next time I clean it, if I don’t get in the middle between cleanings. https://www.gunk.com

ILLFOZZ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego
Member #

Warm up your engine, spray engine degreaser of choice onto areas to be cleaned, let sit for a couple minutes, then spray off and wipe down. * DANGER: It's hot! * It also goes without saying but be sure to avoid electrical connections and your air box and be careful spraying/dripping onto any exhaust components. Hope this helps. Some people just pressure wash it and say F it lol

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I've been using Simple Green since it first came out (yes, I'm that old). Never had an issue and my engine compartments are spotless. The key is if you get new, keep it clean. If it's filthy, use some elbow grease, clean it and then keep it clean. Again, SG has always worked for me. Follow what has been previously stated on how and where to spray any cleaner and water. I had the first model Tacoma, sold it with over 200,000 miles on it and the engine looked new. Ran like a top and only had to change a front wheel bearing. Great trucks!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I use Simple Green and a pressure washer on a warm engine bay, then drive for 15 minutes to completely dry. If you have a point ignition you may want to know how to dry the cap and rotor.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Same here. except I never use high pressure in my engine bay. I read somewhere it was bad, and I just figure with all of the electrical connections its better to avoid it.
Spray down with simple green and soak, if there's any areas with a ton of gunk, i'll use a heavier degreaser.
Scrub bad areas with a brush, then respray with simple green
rinse down with a little spritzing spray from the garden hose
Spray the entire engine bay down with some type of teflon spray or cheap tire shine
rinse it off again

The tire shine sprayed on the plastic works wonders, and if its rinsed off it doesn't really collect any extra dust.

Roamin Rover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Maple Valley, WA
First Name
Orv
Last Name
Rohman
Check out the video on You Tube by Sweet Project Cars. They use tire cleaner spray and use air to blow it off. I was thinking what most of you are thinking as I watched it but it works and I have done it on several vehicles since. Some heavy grime takes a few swipes with a brush but no water, no aluminum etching and all the plastic and tubing etc looks awesome.

Bad River Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milwaukee, WI, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

I detail cars on the side... there is a few ways you could do it... I call it a dry way where you would use a good degreaser product spray the engine bay and wipe clean using a clean rag or use a good brush to agitate the dirt so it wipes away easier .. be sure you avoid spraying directly on electrical components. Or if you wanted to use a power washer put it on lower psi then use your degreaser and wash it off... again avoid the electric components... hope this helped let me know !

Reactions: Jimmy P

Bodge Garage

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Millwood WA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
I have had good success with cheap liquid laundry soap. It is just thick enough not to drip off and won't just dry up in a few minutes. Apply and let sit as long as you like, massage if in with brush or whatever. Hose if off. Under chassis works the same way since it is viscus enough to stick. This also works for your concrete driveway. Pour it on let soak for hours or days, broom it and hose it.