How did you decide to start your build with the parts you did?

• HTML tutorial

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

So we've got our rig and we've got it working solidly. Now the process of actually building it can begin, but as we won't be dropping $10k at one time, we have to decide what parts to start with.

So that brings me to my question- where did you guys start your builds, and why?

Here are my thoughts so far (rig is a '94 Land Cruiser):

Option 1: Secondary battery. Want to keep things simple, so I want to run a secondary battery for all of the accessories (lights, fridge, winch, CB) and leave the primary battery for the stock electronics. This would set me up to have such accessories wired into that battery from the start.

Option 2: Suspension. OME 2" lift kit. This would allow more clearance (obviously) and would also better prepare the rig for the increased weight of accessories. Means I wouldn't have to rush it later.

Option 3: sliders and skid plates. Preparatory, again, mainly so I wo t have to do it later but could use the peace of mind now!

Option 4: what am I overlooking?

S

SubeeBen

Suspension lift, tires , & everything will fall into place. A build is never done unfortunately. Just ask my wife. Just my 2 cents ha ha

Reactions: OBiE0311

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

He's right, you know.

Though, I wouldnt do a lift until you deally know what equipment you are going to add. Doing a mild lift now may leave you sagging when you finally add all that other gear. But, doing a heavy duty lift now will leave you with a bumpy ride if it is going to take 3 years before you get all those other accessories in.

The real question is do you want to prioritize the camping capabilities or wheeling caoabilities? A stock LC, perhaps with some traction mats and a shovel, can get you into a LOT of remote plates. Sure, it wont do it in as much style or through as many "detours" (read: "lets see if I can make it through that mud pit over there!"), but if you aren't looking for trouble you won't likely find it. Thus, leaving the tires and suspension alone for a while could indeed allow you to get the camping capabilities worked out pretty quickly.

At the same time, if you want a sweet 'wheelin rig and dont mind sleeping in a tent and eating out of a cooler for a while, then go for all that sweet man stuff! I find myself more in this camp with my 4Runner, though I sleep inside the vehicle on a flip-out platform I built.

Reactions: Livin the life

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

He's right, you know.

Though, I wouldnt do a lift until you deally know what equipment you are going to add. Doing a mild lift now may leave you sagging when you finally add all that other gear. But, doing a heavy duty lift now will leave you with a bumpy ride if it is going to take 3 years before you get all those other accessories in.

The real question is do you want to prioritize the camping capabilities or wheeling caoabilities? A stock LC, perhaps with some traction mats and a shovel, can get you into a LOT of remote plates. Sure, it wont do it in as much style or through as many "detours" (read: "lets see if I can make it through that mud pit over there!"), but if you aren't looking for trouble you won't likely find it. Thus, leaving the tires and suspension alone for a while could indeed allow you to get the camping capabilities worked out pretty quickly.

At the same time, if you want a sweet 'wheelin rig and dont mind sleeping in a tent and eating out of a cooler for a while, then go for all that sweet man stuff! I find myself more in this camp with my 4Runner, though I sleep inside the vehicle on a flip-out platform I built.
Those are good points. As far as the rig goes, I am going to try and keep it as ‘light’ as possible. The ultimate goal will be to have a trailer for the actual camping equipment, but for now I guess I need to have everything on the rig.

We have a RTT, and I’m thinking of selling it for a slightly different model that is a smidge heavier. I also want a snorkel, secondary battery, front and rear bumpers, a winch, tire carrier and space for a couple of Jerry cans. I want to make some drawers for the back with a tie down platform for stowage. I also want to put a light bar on the top front and a few smaller LEDs in the sides and one on the rear. That’s as much weight as will ever be on the vehicle, so I was kind of thinking that about a 2” lift would be sufficient. Camping and adventure driving is the primary purpose I have in mind for the vehicle- off-road driving is more about being able to see the things you can’t see otherwise rather than an activity in and of itself for me, at least for the time being.

Thoughts?

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

If the goal of modifying your rig is more about the destination (enjoying new scenery) than the journey (climbing over rocks and through mud pits), then I would hold off on he lift until you get her situated. I say that because there is a decent chance you will end up with a non-standard combination of front and rear springs and shocks, depending on how you decide to outfit the vehicle (I ended up going this route to ensure the best ride for the intended mods and loads).

Of course, to all concerned, dont think I am down on modded vehicles... my daily driver is a 4Runner lifted 3" on 33" MTs, with custom steel bumpers, on-board air, a sleeping platform, and a hi-lift across the hood :P .

Last edited:

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I decided on my mods based on past experience. For my current rig, leveling kit only as far as the suspension went and then only after a lot of research into the right kit. I love the look of lifted trucks and have owned a few. I'm older now, and for me, keeping the factory suspension as close to stock and as reliable as possible was a must. After that it was the practical stuff which for me was a cap, winch, rack, moderate off road lights and gear storage. Yah, not "cool" but I'm old and cool went out the door when my wife started telling me I'm "too old for that". :)

-urtiss

Reactions: Lindenwood

Uneasyboosh

Rank 0

Traveler I

so I was kind of thinking that about a 2” lift would be sufficient. ?
I have been learning a lot about different types of suspensions, lifts, and springs. Someone chime in if I have this wrong but for all that equipment you listed you are going to need more heavy duty springs then the normal fair to be able to hold all the weight of aftermarket bumpers; however, as someone mentioned if you do that first and take 3 years to add the weight, in the meantime you will have a rough ride because those heavier springs are designed to hold the extra weight of a 250lb bumper at all times.

Its not just as simple as getting a 2" lift then adding 3k pounds of gear and all is gtg.

If you wanted to start with a lift you would either buy them and not install them until you get to the point of adding the weight that requires them OR buy them with the normal springs and be prepared that you will need to purchase more heavy duty springs down the road when you start adding steel bumpers with winches in them. kind of dependent on how long you envision the process to take you.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Seriously, we can't stress that enough. I installed my lift first, expecting to add steel bumpers, full underbody armor, and a full complement of recovery gear--a good 600 lbs, estimated. However, I rolled with a completely stock body for a while after the lift. Once, when my wife was riding with me and, after a particularly jarring bump, she actually asked "wait, do you still actually have...like...shocks in this thing??"

Just an anecdote :P .

Reactions: Uneasyboosh

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
If you just bought your vehicle, I would suggest first replacing all the shocks, fluids, and then researching any chronic issues they have. Join a LC forum where that info will be readily available and then get that squared away first.

Having to turn away from a trail because you don't have the lift, tires, ect for it is much better than a small but well known issue leaving you stranded in the middle of it or worse, losing control because your suspension is totally shot.

My Xterra for example: I did the rear axle breather mod that fixes leaking axle seals, replaced the radiator that kills automatic transmissions and fixed the secondary timing chain tensioner issues.

After that, since lifting was still something I was researching, I put new shocks on it to keep it safe and installed a helper spring in the rear to support the weight of the people and gear I commonly carry. It's now perfectly useable and even stock, it's been an several adventures over the last year. I've used the time to gather lift parts second hand and I've saved over $400 on springs alone. I should be ready to lift it at the end of next month. I'm more focused on the off-road ability but after this and armor are sorted, I'll be moving on to dual batteries and the like.