Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

A bit of a twist from my other cooking videos but one that I think is a great topic for over landers. During our trip last year we had no cooler or refrigerator so we tried dehydrating our own food for the first time and it was so much better than we expected. In the video I show a recipe we did, how we packed it and the resources we used for the recipes. This was the first time I did full meals instead of beef jerky for the trips and it was well worth it!

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Been using one for years for my paddling and backpacking trips.
Tomato sauce flakes sprinkled on most any meal wakes it up. Chili dehydrates well. So does very lean ground beef.
Banana slices, apples.......
For longer trips with limited refrigeration (or none at all), it's a good skill to play with.

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
Thanks for the post. Lunches are always a chllenge- going to try this one. The book is on Kindle Unlimited if you have that service. Been dehydrating food for backpacking, mountaineering, kayaking and other various trips for years. You can do alot of different meals- and try at home before you go!

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Thanks for the post. Lunches are always a chllenge- going to try this one. The book is on Kindle Unlimited if you have that service. Been dehydrating food for backpacking, mountaineering, kayaking and other various trips for years. You can do alot of different meals- and try at home before you go!
Yep, read it first on Unlimited then canceled the service and bought the book.

sycboi

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Norwalk, OH, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Nice video!

I am getting back into dehydrating again. I have had the same dehydrator for 20 years and it still works like a champ…

A freeze dryer would be nice! Maybe once they get down to a reasonable price (probably never going to happen)…

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Nice video!

I am getting back into dehydrating again. I have had the same dehydrator for 20 years and it still works like a champ…

A freeze dryer would be nice! Maybe once they get down to a reasonable price (probably never going to happen)…
Thanks and yep, the freeze dryer would be a great tool but dang they are expensive.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I started dehydrating mushrooms and tomatoes to take on my trips. I want to start trying meats next. My dehydrator is a air fryer with a dehydration setting.

How do you dehydrate chilly and pasta sauce… that would be awesome weight saver.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I started dehydrating mushrooms and tomatoes to take on my trips. I want to start trying meats next. My dehydrator is a air fryer with a dehydration setting.

How do you dehydrate chilly and pasta sauce… that would be awesome weight saver.
for the pasta sauce make sure it is smooth with no chunks and avoid cheesy sauces as they will shorten the shelf life (ok for shorter trips) and dehydrate at 135 for 6-8 hours or 125 for 8-10 hours. It will be leathery and dry when done.

Not sure your chili recipe but if it has ground beef cook that first and drain over paper towels as you want to avoid grease. Finish cooking your chili and spread on the solid dehydrator sheets. Dehydrate at 145 for 6-8 hours beginning to check at 6 hours to make sure meat and beans are totally hard. Beans may split but that is ok.

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
What dehydrators are folk using here. My current machine is an Excalibur. 9 trays and a fan. it's awesome. Price seems to have really jumped up. I think I paid $150cad.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign