Holiday Spill Kits

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I made some basic spill kits to give to a couple friends for the holidays and figured I'd share here. This is something I've meant to do for a while, and after a friend's truck leaked power steering fluid on a trail this summer I felt motivated to buy the supplies.

After thinking about it I decided not to include kitty litter or other absorbent powders. This is because a) those items are heavy take a lot of space and b) if you leak offroad it's going to be on dirt and/or rocks. Contaminated dirt can be collected, but you need a way to transport it home. Oil on rocks is more tricky but can be cleaned up using absorbent pads.

Ultimately I decided to keep it simple and included just a few items in a small spill kit.
1. 6 sheets of Pig Mat. This is designed to quickly absorb oil and based on my initial testing works really well
2. Pair of nitrile gloves
3. 32 gallon contractor grade plastic bag (can hold a good amount of contaminated soil)
4. 1 gallon ziplock bag containing the kit (can hold dirty Pig Mat)

The key is that the entire kit is lightweight and takes very little space so there's no excuse not to carry one.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
When I worked on airplanes we used a lot of those pig mats. And the socks you use to contain a spill. Things can absorb a ton of fluid.

Reactions: slomatt

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

Awesome idea. We had a pressurized line come loose at our FARP (Army Helicopter Gas Station) and shoot fuel down a dirt landing strip. Those guys did a ton of digging to get that spill up.

Reactions: slomatt