Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I know a lot of people take lots of photos and videos of their vehicles and trips and I am the same.
My photos I'm pretty happy with but I would love some advice, hints and tips on how to get the best out of videos.
How to compose videos and even edit them to give a polished look.
The same for doing Rig Walk Around Videos, all the ones I've tried never seem to hit the mark so I delete them.

Who can give me some pointers.
PS I use Go Pro Black, iphone 8, Nikon D610

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm not an expert in video, but it's something I've been trying to learn about since I want to do a little video work for myself as well. For starters, here are two channels that are from people in the overlanding community who also shoot video, and one who is a photographer/videographer who produces high quality content. I think the Just B. McBride probably does a better job on overall production vs. Last Line of Defense, but both produce quality videos with good information.

Peter McKinnon (not an overlander, but a fantastic photographer and videographer)

Justin B. McBride

Last Line of Defense (he does a lot of gear reviews)

I'm not sure if that'll help with setting up compositions or perhaps some color grading ideas in the case of Justin B. McBride. As for general tips, here's a few things I've picked up that I think will help out:
  • A plan. Write down what you want to cover so the video is organized. You don't have to read from a script, but have a plan so the video is consistent and flows.
  • Lighting. Have good light. If you're outside, consider filters (adjust your shutter speed as needed). If it's dark, consider an external light that accents what you want to show.
  • Stabilization. Whether you use In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) or another form (my camera doesn't have IBIS), stabilizing the video so there isn't a lot of shake is important. Use a Gorilla Pod or something similar or a tripod for reducing image shake.
  • Microphone. A microphone is important because it will help enhance your voice and be more clear while also getting rid of a lot of background noises, including wind. There's a variety of types, but most will connect to your camera.
  • Editing. I don't know what you use to edit your photos, but editing video will be important because you can get that "polished look" you mentioned through color grading, editing out bloopers, and if you want to get fancy adding in b-roll and other effects.
Like I said before, I'm not an expert with this by any means. These are just some things I've been paying attention to as I watch others create videos and seek to become better myself.