Hey PA guy looking for trails

• HTML tutorial

Shelby/Dakota

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Alright, wanted to say hello in the regional forum. I've never been "overlanding" and I'm hoping someone can point me towards some local trails that are beginner friendly. I'm located in cambria county Pennsylvania, I'm hoping someone is familiar with the area and can point me towards something.

I'm sure the Alleghany forest has tons of options but that is a little further then I want to go solo right now. Would possibly do a group trip later this spring though.

For informational purposes, my rig is a 1993 dodge ram w250 3/4 ton with the 12v Cummins diesel in it. It is stock suspension and driveline.

Thanks for everything in advance. Here's to finding another hobby lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fast94tracer

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello from minersville.
Most areas in the Allegheny forest are off limits to vehicles. Only allowed to ride atv or utv out there. I was very disappointed last time I was out there.

Shelby/Dakota

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Damn, seems like most of PA is closed of to vehicles. Other then some forest roads.

Well thanks for the greetings and for the information.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hello and welcome from northeast Pa! You're actually pretty close to some beautiful areas to get out and explore. Areas with trails and endless beautiful forest roads.

Bald Eagle State Forest (one of my favorite places in Pennsyltucky)
Rothrock
Moshannon/Quehanna

The potential issues you may run in to... Your vehicle isn't exactly narrow so when you start down any of these trails, pin stripes are going to happen. The other is that some trails can be so so for a while and then hit you with a more challenging section without any way of turning around. You won't have cell service so travel prepared and preferably not alone because I've spent entire days in BESF without seeing another person.

Have you looked into Purple Lizard maps? do you run Gaia or something like it?

Shelby/Dakota

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Hello and welcome from northeast Pa! You're actually pretty close to some beautiful areas to get out and explore. Areas with trails and endless beautiful forest roads.

Bald Eagle State Forest (one of my favorite places in Pennsyltucky)
Rothrock
Moshannon/Quehanna

The potential issues you may run in to... Your vehicle isn't exactly narrow so when you start down any of these trails, pin stripes are going to happen. The other is that some trails can be so so for a while and then hit you with a more challenging section without any way of turning around. You won't have cell service so travel prepared and preferably not alone because I've spent entire days in BESF without seeing another person.

Have you looked into Purple Lizard maps? do you run Gaia or something like it?
Sweet thanks for the heads up about local areas. I'm not worried about pinstripes on the old beast but I am worried about getting in over my head lol.

Will look into the maps and is Gaia a GPS platform?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Sweet thanks for the heads up about local areas. I'm not worried about pinstripes on the old beast but I am worried about getting in over my head lol.

Will look into the maps and is Gaia a GPS platform?
No problem! Gaia is a very commonly used map application. It’s great for exploring since it has roads/trails that typically don’t show up on a regular GPS. It’s also great since I can share routes with you.

Reactions: k9sar

itsatruck

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
I would have guessed it would be full of good areas to go.

Lots of Forest service roads, as in maintained gravel roads. There's oil pumps everywhere as this is an oil and natural gas area. That combined with the ridiculous amount of these roads for logging runs the nature experience. Anywhere cool you might go has a nice gate that says closed to vehicle use.

If you happen to be coming through the area it's worth a stop, but don't choose it for a destination. We have the Kinzua Dam and Marina which is absolutely beautiful. You can also stop by the Kinzua bridge which used to be the tallest railroad bridge until a tornado took it out. It's wreckage was left in the valley as a tourist attraction and the remaining part of the bridge is a walkway.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Shelby/Dakota

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Yeah those lovely fences populate a most of the seemingly interesting roads around me. PA doesn't seem to have a lot of free range trails.

itsatruck

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Yeah those lovely fences populate a most of the seemingly interesting roads around me. PA doesn't seem to have a lot of free range trails.

I'm planning a trip down to George Washington National Forest in VA. Lots of stuff around there. If you are in eastern PA you may want to look up some stuff in Jersey.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Welcome to the community, I'm down here in Berks county. Bald Eagle State Forest is about the best that Pa has to offer as far as overlanding style off roading. There is simply way too much private land in Pa, period. Go on line, find the phone number of the DCNR/ranger station of any State Forrest and they will send you a FREE map of the forest that you want to visit. The maps are well detailed. Then take the map to Staples and they will laminate it for a couple of bucks. We've been exploring BESF for nearly 25 years and always find something new and different each time up. There is permitted dispersed camping along with a few state parks within the forest. It also boasts the only stand of virgin forest east of the eastern continental divide. That stand is 4wd accesible only and a great place for a day hike. We usually go up during the week, or long weekends. It is especially good from about the 1st of October through the middle of January as most all of the unmaintained roads are opened during that time. Thats all I got because 1/2 the fun is exploring and discovering places on your own, and yes, we go alone, at least 3 or 4 times a year.

Shelby/Dakota

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
I'm planning a trip down to George Washington National Forest in VA. Lots of stuff around there. If you are in eastern PA you may want to look up some stuff in Jersey.

Fortunately I'm out by Pittsburgh. Dirty jersey is quite far away for me. The Shenandoah region of Virginia is breathtaking, I'd love to go back down again sometime.

Moak, thanks for the tip about the ranger stations. I don't think bald eagle is all that far from me. I'll have to check it out.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
There are definitely a lot of gates but there’s still a lot of places to go exploring out there. It’s worth noting that every fall Pennsyltucky opens a lot of gates for hunters/lovers of leaves.

Have a great trip! GWNF is definitely nice and it only gets better in West Virginia. I live in Eastern Pa and I think this state has a lot to offer without having to cross the Delaware. To each their own though.

Moak, thanks for the tip about the ranger stations. I don't think bald eagle is all that far from me. I'll have to check it out.
I took your location into consideration when I suggested the places to check out. Rothrock should be closest and Moshannon/Quehanna furthest but still not that far. BESF is just northeast of Rothrock. You’re closer than I am to all three haha.

I mentioned Purple Lizard because they’re more detailed and they come waterproof. I’ve had issues with DCNR maps not showing gates or private hunting camp boundaries.

Reactions: Greggm5

Ghostwriter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Rockville, MD
First Name
Mate
Last Name
Vladar
Member #

No problem! Gaia is a very commonly used map application. It’s great for exploring since it has roads/trails that typically don’t show up on a regular GPS. It’s also great since I can share routes with you.
Hey Wawa, Would it be possible for you to share some of those Gaia routes. I'm planning a spring trip with couple of buddies and would like to explore Bald Eagle area. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Blue Moser

thejac12

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

spartansburg pa
Member #

i am a new overlander stuck in the north west corner of Pennsylvania i feel your pain ! No off road trails within 3 hours of me..... guess i better buy the long rang fuel tank for the 100 series

Reactions: Valmore

Valmore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canonsburg PA, USA
First Name
Val
Last Name
Valiente
Member #

Fortunately I'm out by Pittsburgh. Dirty jersey is quite far away for me. The Shenandoah region of Virginia is breathtaking, I'd love to go back down again sometime.

Hello, I’m south of Pittsburgh (Canonsburg) I’d to meet up to hit some trails.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk