Rank II

Contributor II

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Starkweather
Member #

Hey everyone, my name's Jared. I've been lurking for a while now and figured it's time to post.

In the Summer of 2020, I was driving to a trailhead in New Mexico in my old Civic and ran into a sign that said you couldn't go any further without 4x4 - and that's the day I decided it was time to ditch the Honda. After test driving a lot, I eventually landed on the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (shout out to Prodigal Overland) as I wanted something I could daily drive and take off road. Since then, I've built the Jeep out with mostly Offroad Animal products (bumpers, underbody protection, and winch) and a couple others. I've done several trails in the Midwest in Oklahoma (where I'm from), New Mexico, Arkansas, and Colorado - mostly sticking to easier stuff since I'm usually flying solo and don't want to get stuck. I just moved up to Baltimore in March of this year and have been eager to find a community of overlanders to meet up with and hit some trails.

If you're around here and up for some adventure, feel free to reach out. I usually prefer overlanding, but would love to get out on some shorter/more technical trails and see what the Jeep can do with a good group. Also happy to answer any questions about Grand Cherokees in general. It's no Wrangler, 4Runner, Bronco, etc, but I have been consistently surprised/impressed by what it can do!

Attachments

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@jstarky Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of useful information here about places to see and things to do, as well as recommendations for equipment that might come in handy for them.

Nice rig! Seems you've found a balance of capability vs. practicality that checks all the boxes. The Trailhawk is no slouch.

SpookyII

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Danbury, CT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
SmoothOperators
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC10IM
Hey Jared! Welcome to the community! Despite popular opinion, there are plenty of places to get out and enjoy the trails up here. Hope to see you on the trails!

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey everyone, my name's Jared. I've been lurking for a while now and figured it's time to post.

In the Summer of 2020, I was driving to a trailhead in New Mexico in my old Civic and ran into a sign that said you couldn't go any further without 4x4 - and that's the day I decided it was time to ditch the Honda. After test driving a lot, I eventually landed on the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (shout out to Prodigal Overland) as I wanted something I could daily drive and take off road. Since then, I've built the Jeep out with mostly Offroad Animal products (bumpers, underbody protection, and winch) and a couple others. I've done several trails in the Midwest in Oklahoma (where I'm from), New Mexico, Arkansas, and Colorado - mostly sticking to easier stuff since I'm usually flying solo and don't want to get stuck. I just moved up to Baltimore in March of this year and have been eager to find a community of overlanders to meet up with and hit some trails.

If you're around here and up for some adventure, feel free to reach out. I usually prefer overlanding, but would love to get out on some shorter/more technical trails and see what the Jeep can do with a good group. Also happy to answer any questions about Grand Cherokees in general. It's no Wrangler, 4Runner, Bronco, etc, but I have been consistently surprised/impressed by what it can do!
Hello Jared, welcome to Overland Bound.