Rank 0

Contributor I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Metzger
Hey everybody,

So, I've been lurking for months now, only registered and posted because another member was asking for advice from folks that overland with kids with special needs, so wanted to share some stuff I learned the hard way.

Anyways, I'm here now, figured I'd do the welcome thread!

Been "overlanding" like most of you, I'm sure, for longer than "overlanding" has been a popular term. Started when I was 18, going to college at the University of Utah in 2011. I have a 1990 Cummins powered Ramcharger that I built with my dad hence the username, CTDRC - Cummins Turbo Diesel RamCharger. I got some scrap foam from a nearby upholstery shop, threw it in a uhaul mattress bag, put it and my camping gear in the back of the truck and would disappear for days at a time.

Got married, moved back to hot and muggy Texas, had kids, and suddenly overlanding turned back into camping, and I didn't do it a lot. Well, a few years ago, I bought some land in Oklahoma to hunt on that is super primitive and requires my truck in top form to get to, so to camp on it comfortably (in my older age lol) I decided to convert the beast into an overlanding rig this January. She's getting lockers as we speak. But I'm sure I'll talk about my build a lot on here.

Anyways, that's the story! Can't wait for the shelter in place and need to social distance so aggressively to end and maybe meet some of you.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Welcome, there were dfw regular meetings before the lockdown not sure how many will be willing to hang out after this has happened.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Good to see you. I enjoyed that discussion on that other thread too. Welcome aboard!

Reactions: CTDRC

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Richard (@CTDRC ), welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. As Justin (Boospowered) mentioned there were DFW meet ups prior to the current situation so hopefully they will pick up again after we are free.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF