Rank II

Contributor III

Cleveland, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hawkins
Member #

I know there is alot of things to consider in a vehicle for overlanding. I'm wanting to start my first overland build. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1983 fj 60 land cruiser 4 speed with a 2f engine or a 2000 4 runner automatic with a 3.4. I'm mechanically inclined and owned mostly old toyota pickups. My main questions are, which one might be more versatile or maybe more dependable. The prices for each is about the same, so not a concern. Thinking roof top tent, awning, the back for cargo and cooking equipment. And looking to travel anywhere in the US. Any info is appreciated, thank you.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
... 1983 fj 60 land cruiser 4 speed with a 2f engine or

...2000 4 runner automatic with a 3.4.
Hmm - you'll get a range of views however for what we do the 4 Runner would be the better choice. The older vehicle is going to need more work as stuff wears out. Not a problem for you in terms of the work, however if (for example) you blow a radiator in a remote area (which happened to us in Namibia) then you may have more issues with sourcing a replacement and getting it to the vehicle (or vice versa).