Hello from Austin!

• HTML tutorial

AnObfuscator

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello everyone!

I've been wanting to get a 4x4 for some backcountry travel for years. I finally had the spare cash to do so, and got the go-ahead from the wife over Christmas.

I ended up picking a 2006 Xterra with the Off-Road trim and a manual transmission.

I'm excited to start exploring the Texas hill country. While Texas isn't the best state for hardcore overlanding, there seem to be some cool looking off-pavement routes between Llano and Fredericksburg.

If anyone has any more route suggestions, or tips for a newbie, I'd appreciate it!

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello everyone!

I've been wanting to get a 4x4 for some backcountry travel for years. I finally had the spare cash to do so, and got the go-ahead from the wife over Christmas.

I ended up picking a 2006 Xterra with the Off-Road trim and a manual transmission.

I'm excited to start exploring the Texas hill country. While Texas isn't the best state for hardcore overlanding, there seem to be some cool looking off-pavement routes between Llano and Fredericksburg.

If anyone has any more route suggestions, or tips for a newbie, I'd appreciate it!
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...great looking Rig and look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

Reactions: AnObfuscator

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227

willlord

Rank III

Contributor III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Lord
Hello everyone!

Hello, from one Austin Overlander to another! If I hear of some fun adventures in our area aside from those that have been mentioned, I’ll be sure to reach out!

AnObfuscator

Rank 0

Traveler I

Welcome to the forum from West Texas and congrats on the rig. Head out to Big Bend NP/Big Bend Ranch SP for a little more "hardcore" overlanding, as compared to the Hill Country.
I can't wait to get out to Big Bend. I'm hoping to make it out this fall.

And check out fellow forum member @Laud's epic trip around the state for an over the top Texas overlanding adventure.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/how-to-enjoy-texas.21554/#post-303823
This looks great, this is super helpful.

Reactions: Welding Goats

AnObfuscator

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello, from one Austin Overlander to another! If I hear of some fun adventures in our area aside from those that have been mentioned, I’ll be sure to reach out!
Thanks, I'd appreciate that! Are there any overlanding or 4x4 groups in town that aren't brand specific? One of the disadvantages of not having a Jeep or Toyota.

willlord

Rank III

Contributor III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Lord
Thanks, I'd appreciate that! Are there any overlanding or 4x4 groups in town that aren't brand specific? One of the disadvantages of not having a Jeep or Toyota.
To be honest, I have no idea. I’m new to this as well. All I know as far as groups go is Austin Jeep People. But many of them are just as happy to have a non-Jeep out with ‘em.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Welcome from Arizona! Check out the Southwest region section of the forums, there are quite a few Texans who are members. I believe @Jeff Graham is still in the Austin area and may have some information about groups in the area