Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
You'll get some replies here with options you're looking for, just wanted to add input from a non-heater user. I sleep in a ground tent and I don't use a heater at all. All you need is a great sleeping bag. Some blankets and a foam pad under your butt go a long way.

For your RTT, heater or not, you're gonna want something on the floor to create some separation from the outside. Some type of insulation under your mattress. Depending on your tent, they make insulation inserts for the walls and roof too. It'll help you save heater fuel. Or, you might try some sort of heated blanket. Never had one myself but I've heard good reviews.

49551472_1149468388548925_2739681851965702144_n.jpg

Reactions: El-Dracho
D

Dave in AZ

Doh... saw RTT just now. Well, it is all typed already, so... the 12v blanket and the diesel heater work for rtt.

Chinese diesel heater. $100 to $150. Copy of original German Eberspacher and Webasto design. Very well cloned. Tested and run on millions of trucks nightly to heat their cabins while sleeping. I have a Vevor all in one vertical unit for $105. Been running it 2 weeks nightly testing, no issues. All combustion is outside, recirculates inside air constantly warming it, if you install it inside correctly!
Watch this guys 19 video series to answer alllll questions and do it right.

Truma propane, same deal but uses propane. $1000 or something.

Propex, propane same. $1000?

Dickinson9000 propane fireplace, same, often in Alu-Cab. Users say don't warm up enough. $1400.

12v dc electric blanket plugged into piwer station. Layer over blankets, more blankets on top.

Mr Buddy-- poor, open flame, releases tons of moisture from combustion into camper, also combustion gases inside. Works, but worst solution.

Catalytic propane heaters, Olympian Wave3. Better than Mr Buddy, still same drawbacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LoyWard

paul87250

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Folles, Haute-Vienne, France
First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

Hey y’all I’m extremely new to the overlanding world and was wondering what y’all run for heat in y’all’s rtt’s.
Thanks in advance
We use a Chinese diesel heater (obviously just for the wife) in the winter but down to about 5°C we don't bother as with a tent liner it's plenty warm enough.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
You'll get some replies here with options you're looking for, just wanted to add input from a non-heater user. I sleep in a ground tent and I don't use a heater at all. All you need is a great sleeping bag. Some blankets and a foam pad under your butt go a long way.

For your RTT, heater or not, you're gonna want something on the floor to create some separation from the outside. Some type of insulation under your mattress. Depending on your tent, they make insulation inserts for the walls and roof too. It'll help you save heater fuel. Or, you might try some sort of heated blanket. Never had one myself but I've heard good reviews.

View attachment 270892
I can only agree with that. We don't use a heater in the pop top roof either, but very good winter sleeping bags - perfect - of course it's a bit uncomfortable when crawling out in the morning in frosty temperatures. That's why I can understand if someone wants to have a heater.

Plus, right, and insulation is important. But when insulating, also make sure that moisture can get out, because an adult releases a large amount of fluid through breathing and sweating. This has to get out of the tent - so it needs good ventilation. There are now a number of insulations for tents, roof tents, pop top roofs etc. that are ready to buy. Some of them still have the problem of a lack of ventilation or breathability. I am therefore currently doing a DIY project and sewing an insulation for the pop top roof. It will consist of three layers: breathable fabric, a cozy quilted lining and a layer of insulating fleece in between.

Happy winter camping!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've been running a Vevor heater mounted in a pelican case for a couple of years now. Probably the single best cold weather investment I've made.
The biggest down side to the Chinese heaters is the control. The heaters themselves seem to be made on the same assembly line and I've only seen one with issues (most of my group runs them). The controllers have a couple of variations. The issue is, you can have four heaters with the same control and all diffrent software. Different features may not work but the heater itself will as well as the fan speeds.
Your choices are.
1. Spend over $1000 and get a nice one. You will probably use it a few times a year. You can have diesel or propane.
2. Buy a Chinese heater copy for under $300 and deal with the fact the the controls will be wonky but it will still work well.
3. Buy more blankets.

Mine is a bit big for my application. Its equipped with a thermostat. "Theoretically" I can program the shut off temp and let it run. Realistically that part doesn't work. My fix is, I put a "Y" in the heat hose and divert some of the hot air. I set how much goes into my trailer and run the heater all night. Now everyone is happy. The newer ones use a "Key fob" to remotely turn it on and off. This way if you wanted to shut it down during the night (or start it), it's easy. Mine was made before that feature.

LoyWard

Rank I

Contributor III

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Loy
Last Name
Ward
Doh... saw RTT just now. Well, it is all typed already, so... the 12v blanket and the diesel heater work for rtt.

Chinese diesel heater. $100 to $150. Copy of original German Eberspacher and Webasto design. Very well cloned. Tested and run on millions of trucks nightly to heat their cabins while sleeping. I have a Vevor all in one vertical unit for $105. Been running it 2 weeks nightly testing, no issues. All combustion is outside, recirculates inside air constantly warming it, if you install it inside correctly!
Watch this guys 19 video series to answer alllll questions and do it right.

Truma propane, same deal but uses propane. $1000 or something.

Propex, propane same. $1000?

Dickinson9000 propane fireplace, same, often in Alu-Cab. Users say don't warm up enough. $1400.

12v dc electric blanket plugged into piwer station. Layer over blankets, more blankets on top.

Mr Buddy-- poor, open flame, releases tons of moisture from combustion into camper, also combustion gases inside. Works, but worst solution.

Catalytic propane heaters, Olympian Wave3. Better than Mr Buddy, still same drawbacks.
Nice.