Rank IV

Advocate III

Chula Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Amaya
Member #

Has anyone had experience in going to Trona Pinnacles? any advise in gear to take? thinking of spending the weekend 4-2 through 4-4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Not a bad place to camp. The nearby town "Trona" will be your top off for fuel. Go past it and into Panamint Valley. You will be able to explore the Pinnacles in about an hour (ish).
Down the road into Panamint is a bunch of things to explore. How's your vehicle set up?

You have everything from easy to hard. If you want a good hike to see something real cool, hike to Panamint City. If there's no snow on the mountain you can drive to the charcoal kilns, go see the Barker Ranch, mines and farther down the road is Death Valley.

Gear wise? Cold, wind, mild, no wind. hard to say this time of year. Your pretty close to civilization still. Don't freak out if you hear explosions or what sounds like cannon fire early in the morning. Because it is cannon fire. That's how they scare the birds off the lake bed.

Reactions: moz75

moz75

Rank IV

Advocate III

Chula Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Amaya
Member #

Not a bad place to camp. The nearby town "Trona" will be your top off for fuel. Go past it and into Panamint Valley. You will be able to explore the Pinnacles in about an hour (ish).
Down the road into Panamint is a bunch of things to explore. How's your vehicle set up?

You have everything from easy to hard. If you want a good hike to see something real cool, hike to Panamint City. If there's no snow on the mountain you can drive to the charcoal kilns, go see the Barker Ranch, mines and farther down the road is Death Valley.

Gear wise? Cold, wind, mild, no wind. hard to say this time of year. Your pretty close to civilization still. Don't freak out if you hear explosions or what sounds like cannon fire early in the morning. Because it is cannon fire. That's how they scare the birds off the lake bed.

Thanks for the information this will give me an idea of what to do up there. I will be going with a friend of mine. I have a lift he is stock on a 2012 4runner. We are thinking of hiking and checking out some spots with our families. I appreciate letting me know about the climate I will make sure I take some gear just to be prepared and not take to much since I will be close to civilization as you say. I appreciate your knowledge and I will definitely check out the hike.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You can do 99% of the place as long as you have good tires. I've been camping up there for literally years. I'm going through there into death valley in a couple of weeks. Between Panamint and Death Valley, you can spend a week and still not see it all.

Reactions: Jesseplz and moz75

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Just came back from that area. we met at the pinnacles before our run through death valley. all I can say is, gawd there were alot of people there. Over the years, it wasn't uncommon for a few motor homes and a few tents. This time, there were 14 motor homes, a bunch of RTT's and a handful of ground tents scattered around. The bulk of the motor homes were in a group. The place was over run with side by sides and quads. I got there early and had probably 20 people set up for "overlanding" heading out in small groups. I guess they spent the night there.
It looks like it became a "destination" for about everything. There is a newish bathroom there now. That could be part of it.
The place is big and if you decide to camp there, you should have plenty of room. Personally, I prefer a bit more quiet.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Get there in the day so you can see the roads and find a camp site. Lots of folks never go past the first group of tufas. These are the youngest and the ones furthest out and to the South are the oldest. Last time I was there there was just a 1 holer by the first tufas.

Find a remote camp and spend the weekend. Worry about Panamint Valley later for when you have more time.

Planet of the Apes was filmed there and Pitch Black. Moon should be pretty full and hopefully the wind won't.

Reactions: Jesseplz

Shayhan27

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Shannon
Last Name
Pervere
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Just came back from that area. we met at the pinnacles before our run through death valley. all I can say is, gawd there were alot of people there. Over the years, it wasn't uncommon for a few motor homes and a few tents. This time, there were 14 motor homes, a bunch of RTT's and a handful of ground tents scattered around. The bulk of the motor homes were in a group. The place was over run with side by sides and quads. I got there early and had probably 20 people set up for "overlanding" heading out in small groups. I guess they spent the night there.
It looks like it became a "destination" for about everything. There is a newish bathroom there now. That could be part of it.
The place is big and if you decide to camp there, you should have plenty of room. Personally, I prefer a bit more quiet.
I would guess it's alot of overflow from Oceano Dunes. They are now only allowing 100 overnight camping permits, and 100 day use passes, so that probably why you saw so many side by sides. My buddy was at trona last year this time and it was empty. Like the post above me said, go a little deeper and you will thin out.

If you can get a pass to the dunes is actually quite nice now over there now lol.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
They are now only allowing 100 overnight camping permits, and 100 day use passes,
Is this a new thing? Possibly due to over crowding.

I go by there once or twice a year for the last 30 years. This was a first for the sheer number of people. What it looked like was, some ATV/Overland staging and more of an ATV destination. Possibly due to the bathroom. Spangler hills and the surrounding desert is vast. I'm sure most were playing out there and didn't just go to the Pinnacles. I didn't see enough tow rigs to justify the number of OHV present.