Have Yellowstone booked this weekend, but don't want to camp in smoke, any Utah ideas?

• HTML tutorial

Chris Ludwig

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Syracuse, UT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ludwig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4LCG
Hello all!

I have a spot reserved in a campground in Yellowstone for a 4 day weekend, but I'm worried about the air conditions. I'm down in Utah and most days we can't see the surrounding mountains, and some days, you can't even see the sun for all the smoke rolling in from CA and ID.

Yellowstone has more smoke than we do. The webcams don't look too pleasant:
1629222837727.png

So, I am thinking of bailing on Yellowstone and head somewhere with better air. Any advice on alternatives this time of year? Looks like the best air is to the south, but it is also August and we'd have to stick to higher elevations down south.

1629223096027.png

So, any ideas on where we could go and still see blue skies? We have 4 days for the trip, Thursday through Sunday, departing from the SLC area. I'll be solo traveling with a family of 4 in our Tacoma.

-Chris.

Chris Ludwig

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Syracuse, UT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ludwig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4LCG
I should add that I was in Rifle, CO for work last week, and it was better than the SLC area, but still not clear enough for any nice vistas.

Chris Ludwig

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Syracuse, UT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ludwig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4LCG
Cold Front blowing Eastward, is suppose to clear the air in Southern Idaho, Western Wyo...
That would be great. We are getting rain, but so far air quality hasn't improved. Does look to be improving SW of us, so maybe more time is needed for it to blow in.