Has anyone called out the new Ford Bronco's trail turn assist?

• HTML tutorial

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I'm thinking back to when I just joined OB last year I had noticed a few threads on trail maintenance including one post that basically said NOOBs will be more destructive to the environment over time. Has anyone called out the new Bronco's Trail Turn Assist? After watching a few YT video's from some OB creators on test drives all I could think about is the impact on our trails over time as the Bronco's popularity skyrockets.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I'm thinking back to when I just joined OB last year I had noticed a few threads on trail maintenance including one post that basically said NOOBs will be more destructive to the environment over time. Has anyone called out the new Bronco's Trail Turn Assist? After watching a few YT video's from some OB creators on test drives all I could think about is the impact on our trails over time as the Bronco's popularity skyrockets.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not cool.

But most of ya'll with open diff'd Defender 90's, do even worse every year.

• Haha
Reactions: DMS1

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

More of a factor in trail damage done is the tire size and pressure . Not lowering pressures is bad for the trail so are oversize tires. At least in the US, anything less than 37 inch and you are a mall crawler wimp...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
More of a factor in trail damage done is the tire size and pressure . Not lowering pressures is bad for the trail so are oversize tires. At least in the US, anything less than 37 inch and you are a mall crawler wimp...
So my 32’s make me a mall crawler… I’m not spending 20k to SAS my Bronco to fit 38’s.

FD177CB5-595F-4540-92EC-2DA3591A4A01.jpeg

My observation has been that most trail damage comes from poor driving technique. If your running open diffs then technique really plays into the equation due to traction issues. Locked diffs, good gearing and large tires that can easily transverse an obstacle can be very gentle on the trail, if the driver has good technique. Rigs running stock tires, open diffs and poor gearing can be very destructive if the driver uses the gas pedal to attempt go where the vehicle should not be going. So if your an experienced off-road driver please take the noobies out for a run and share that knowledge. If we don't, our favorite roads will soon be closed which is happening at a frantic pace. I would say 50% of the trails I ran in the late 80's and 90's are now closed to motorized vehicles.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Yea I run 35s now and it looks like its normal but I do need 37's

Reactions: El-Dracho

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wow...This thread went way off track.
Ill comment on what the thread is and not what it turned into.
New Bronco with auto turn-brakes.
Honestly, WTF Ford! Do these new vehicles have such a poor turning radius that you think this is necessary or is it just an extra gizmo/addon that will make the vehicle more appealing? I truly believe that the average person buying this either wont use it, wont know what it does (and wont use it) or use it improperly and tear a tire.
If you compare the Bronco to the Rubicon you can see what Ford is up against. Jeep capitalized on the off-road fad with the 2nd gen Rubicon. The first gen got the ball rolling. Ford is coming into to the game on the down slide and the pandemic pushed their production back. I will admit its a nice vehicle with some great features but which person thought auto turn brakes were something good to give the public? As for tearing up our trails with an auto turn brake, I doubt that's something to worry about. The trails will get torn up by the idiots buying vehicles more capable than they are. There was a time when I could sit on a black diamond trail and not have an idiot come through but once in a while. Idiots didn't have lockers. Now there everywhere.

Last edited:

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Honestly, WTF Ford! Do these new vehicles have such a poor turning radius that you think this is necessary or is it just an extra gizmo/addon that will make the vehicle more appealing? I truly believe that the average person buying this either wont use it, wont know what it does (and wont use it) or use it improperly and tear a tire.
If you compare the Bronco to the Rubicon you can see what Ford is up against. Jeep capitalized on the off-road fad with the 2nd gen Rubicon. The first gen got the ball rolling. Ford is coming into to the game on the down slide and the pandemic pushed their production back. I will admit its a nice vehicle with some great features but which person thought auto turn brakes were something good to give the public? As for tearing up our trails with an auto turn brake, I doubt that's something to worry about. The trails will get torn up by the idiots buying vehicles more capable than they are. There was a time when I could sit on a black diamond trail and not have but an idiot come through but once in a while. Idiots didn't have lockers. Now there everywhere.
I feel ford did a good job with the bronco the trail turn assist will do on the rocks where i see it being needed. All the new cars have all kinds of assist to help the more average person to try new things without building a full rig.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

So, turn-assist to stay on the established trail... or cut the corner and/or blow out the other side of the trail without it?

Find something more important to worry about and "call out", you might want to start with the Biden administration and Afghanistan...

-TJ

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
So, turn-assist to stay on the established trail... or cut the corner and/or blow out the other side of it?

Find something more important to worry about and "call out", you might want to start with the Biden administration and Afghanistan...

-TJ
Um…what? Talk about a thread going off topic. This is a thread about Broncos and a new feature. Not politics.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If you compare the Bronco to the Rubicon you can see what Ford is up against. Jeep capitalized on the off-road fad with the 2nd gen Rubicon. The first gen got the ball rolling. Ford is coming into to the game on the down slide and the pandemic pushed their production back. I will admit its a nice vehicle with some great features but which person thought auto turn brakes were something good to give the public? As for tearing up our trails with an auto turn brake, I doubt that's something to worry about. The trails will get torn up by the idiots buying vehicles more capable than they are. There was a time when I could sit on a black diamond trail and not have but an idiot come through but once in a while. Idiots didn't have lockers. Now there everywhere.
What are "auto turn brakes"? Do you even understand what you're ranting about? First of all the function is called "Trail Turn Assist" not "auto turn" or whatever. Second, it seems that you're entirely unclear on what it does. It's not that the Bronco has a bad turning radius... for what it is. It's juts that most off-roaders are way bigger than those of yore. A JLUR, JTR, Bronco, Raptor, etc. are all WAY bigger with longer wheelbases than something like a CJ, TJ, or even my WJ. The trail turn assist is just helping these new, bigger rigs turn on trails that were probably cut by old Jeeps without doing additional damage. Technology isn't bad. Shit, Toyota started a similar technology years ago... were you worried about it then?

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Um…what? Talk about a thread going off topic. This is a thread about Broncos and a new feature. Not politics.
My point was pretty clear. The thread was about people "calling out" Ford for the new features on the Bronco. Those features only help the Bronco stay ON the trail and do less damage. If you want to find something to "call out" and complain about, might as well make it something meaningful like what is happening in AFG not a feature that actually helps a new vehicle tread more lightly...

-TJ

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

So my 32’s make me a mall crawler… I’m not spending 20k to SAS my Bronco to fit 38’s.

View attachment 208541
Did not mean to offend you mate, I was just being sarcastic. I am in the same boat, biggest size I ever had were 32-33 inch tires.
You know the trend, some beginner who never been off road thinks he must have at lest 35 inch wheels just venture out on a forest road..

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

View attachment 208541
Did not mean to offend you mate, I was just being sarcastic. I am in the same boat, biggest size I ever had were 32-33 inch tires.
You know the trend, some beginner who never been off road thinks he must have at lest 35 inch wheels just venture out on a forest road..

And that's exactly what we are here at Overland Bound for, among many other things. Namely to help and advise people who are new to overlanding and explain why they don't need the big tires you mentioned, for example, for what they have in mind. And if someone does put such big tires on their vehicle because they think it's great, that's totally fine too. Everyone as he likes, live and let live and do not judge these things.

Reactions: mootruck98

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

This Is fun watching folks fight about rear steer like it's something new, whether is super hicas on a 300zx or 3000gt, actual rear steer on a rock crawler or monster truck or just your average brake steering that comes on like every tractor ever made. I'm no fan of Ford but good for them for resurrecting a feature that's hasn't been on a road vehicle since the 90s, although come to think of it ford's have always been pretty good at crabwalking down the highway.