GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Is anybody using a Harbor Freight bottle jack with their recovery gear? I have a Hi-lift jack, and I'm familiar with the dangers and downsides of them. I'm considering adding a bottle jack to my kit and I'm looking for affordable suggestions. Thanks!

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I carry (and consider myself reasonably competent with) a hi-lift jack and have several sizes of hydraulic bottle and floor jacks around the shop but the most used is a little four ton that weighs only 6-7 lbs and has a range of maybe 8-15 inches. I actually seldom use any sort of jack for off-roading recovery (just don’t get stuck that much) but that small jack is extremely useful around the house and the farm. A few hardwood blocks add to its versatility.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I have been carrying one of their 12-ton 2 stage stubby jacks for a decade or more. It will get under almost anything and has been trouble-free as long as I've had it. It looks like they don't carry it anymore.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm a fan of scissor jacks. They get low and are easier to get under things and can go quite high. HF carries a 2.5 ton unit for less than 40 dollars I think. It goes from less than 5 inches to almost 2 feet.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I've got this being dropped off at the house today!

If you're lucky and you catch it at the right time, you can get it on Amazon for less than $60. I had it in my cart yesterday morning for $57.99, but it was out of stock with a projected delivery of August 30th. I waffled on it, and went to the bathroom instead of finishing the order, and by the time I got back they were back in stock and up to $67.99. I ordered it since I want to work on my brakes this weekend, and as of this morning the price was back down! Damn it! HAHAHA

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I've got this being dropped off at the house today!

If you're lucky and you catch it at the right time, you can get it on Amazon for less than $60. I had it in my cart yesterday morning for $57.99, but it was out of stock with a projected delivery of August 30th. I waffled on it, and went to the bathroom instead of finishing the order, and by the time I got back they were back in stock and up to $67.99. I ordered it since I want to work on my brakes this weekend, and as of this morning the price was back down! Damn it! HAHAHA
Well, I just looked at my local store and they are in stock and $79.99! That should make you feel better, LOL!!

Contributor III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Williams
Is anybody using a Harbor Freight bottle jack with their recovery gear? I have a Hi-lift jack, and I'm familiar with the dangers and downsides of them. I'm considering adding a bottle jack to my kit and I'm looking for affordable suggestions. Thanks!
I bought one and it was absolute junk. As in valves leaked, handle did not fit well, weld looked cheap. I took it back ad back and bought an integrated bottle jack/jack stand on Amazon, Way better.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I recommend a Ford SuperDuty two-stage bottle jack to most of my friends, you can find them on ebay for $75 and they lift quite high.
Came here to say the same thing. It’s still a tad short for my LR3 (gotta lift on the frame due to IFS/IRS) so I made an 11” square out of 2 layers of 2x6. It adds height and also floatation if your on soft ground.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Brennan’s Garage developed a jack they call the “Tauler Jack”, an alternative to a hi-lift.
Don’t have one, but think it’s interesting

Reactions: GLOCKer