Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

I m new to overlanding and installed a midland gmrs because a lot of the outings showed that radio as a primary comm option and I don’t have a ham license. Two trips later, I find out no one is using anything but hams (between each other on the trail). I plan on getting my license, but just want a handheld I can monitor the group with or use in an emergency when I’m away from my rig until I get my license.This one gets great reviews on Amazon. Any opinions?
Thanks.

Attachments

donj51

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Garner, IA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0WND
Service Branch
Navy
I don’t have a ham license. Two trips later, I find out no one is using anything but hams (between each other on the trail). I plan on getting my license, but just want a handheld I can monitor the group with or use in...
Hey Gary,
That model (BF-F8HP) works well. I have one that I used for awhile. I do recommend getting a better antenna.

Good luck on your technician license, it is a fun hobby.

Don - W0WND

Reactions: RAMXPLR

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
You do not need a license to listen or use in an emergency (emergency = life or death situation). You do need a license to transmit under non emergency conditions. If you only want to use an HT (hand held) that should work fine inside your truck as long as you dont get to far away from the group. I would recomend using a small mag mount antenna on the outside of your truck. The distance that you would be able to transmit and receive would greatly be increased. Good luck!

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

I don’t have a ham license. Two trips later, I find out no one is using anything but hams (between each other on the trail). I plan on getting my license, but just want a handheld I can monitor the group with or use in...
Hey Gary,
That model (BF-F8HP) works well. I have one that I used for awhile. I do recommend getting a better antenna.

Good luck on your technician license, it is a fun hobby.

Don - W0WND
Thanks. I was planning to order that radio as a three pack which includes the 16 1/2”
whip antenna and the download cable as well.

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

You do not need a license to listen or use in an emergency (emergency = life or death situation). You do need a license to transmit under non emergency conditions. If you only want to use an HT (hand held) that should work fine inside your truck as long as you dont get to far away from the group. I would recomend using a small mag mount antenna on the outside of your truck. The distance that you would be able to transmit and receive would greatly be increased. Good luck!
Thank you. I appreciate your advice.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
HT’s suck inside the rig without an external antenna… and even the. They are compromised by cables coming off of them used this way. It would be better to look into an actual mobile transceiver. I have a whole list of transceivers to recommend, but until you get your license and know what you are wanting to do with your license all I can recommend is to watch YouTube and get an idea of what you are looking for.

as for your title to the thread, it’s kind of confusing. HF in amateur radio lingo, HF refers to the High Frequency bands from 50 MHz to 1.5MHZ. And there really isn’t a Handheld Transceiver for the HF bands. I guess a modified QCX mini might count, but with a 56” hamstick it isn’t very portable like a UHF (ultra high frequency typically 440 MHZ) or VHF (very high frequency typically 144 MHZ or 58 MHZ) hand held transceiver like the one you posted.