Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I Signed onto GNG at 6:15 MST.
It was Me and W8ill and one other.

Brian
For some reason, the net has largely defaulted to me running it.

If we had more people volunteering to run the net it would be able to run more regularly.
Everyone with a HAM licence is qualified to run the net. In fact, it is an excellent way for new HAMs to get operating confidence.

This week I was away doing a remote area first aid course, preceded by a busy work week (sorry about the lack of notice).
I am also active doing other things with HAM radio and Overlanding on a regular basis lately. For some of these, I am able to check-in but might not be able to prioritise running a net.

I'd like to see the net run next week, and if there is more than me or Will, we can run a proper net, so please join us on *USA-GNG* at 17:30 Pacific Time.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
KB1HAB/ OB28121 can I enter with EchoLink from my area?
Hello Tremblay's, from Arizona! Just an observation that I noticed...your HAM C/S w/in your message doesn't match the one in your Data list. That is, KB1HAB vs. KB1JAB. Just thought I'd mention it. Good luck with Echolink, and I'm sorry that I can't answer your question.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Lol! Ty yes it’s KB1JAB
So here is some information about Echolink enabled repeaters regarding Nets (to include OB)

If you have an Echolink enabled repeater in your area, you can access nets by linking that repeater to another repeater using PL tones. The PL tones are the nodes. I have two Echolink repeaters in my area. Both I can hit with ease. The problem is one has a net every day at 5:00 pm pacific that lasts until 9:00 pm pacific. 50-200 check ins a day. I can’t link that repeater to the GnG node during the Friday night net due to this. The second repeater is owned by the county and maintained by the local ARES. Because this is an ecom repeater, I can’t link it either for any length of time.

So if you do have a repeater capable of Echolink, you need to find the owner and ask permission to utilize the repeater for about 2 hours (net runs an hour but give your self half an hour each side for technical issues). Once you have permission, Learn how to use the PL tones to link repeaters.

Second option is to get a DMR radio and a hotspot, set up the system to be able to open Echolink, or Alstar.

Lastly just use an app on your phone or use your pc.

Reactions: rtexpeditions

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
We could always start it up again.
I was tired of talking to myself.

The problem is always we can't find enough Net Controllers. I did it for a while, but the time of day (Saturday morning where I am) is not that easy for me, especially if I'm out doing actual Overlanding.

Reactions: Weim.Runner

Weim.Runner

Rank VI

World Traveler I

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Nicole
Last Name
Merchain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ask me :)
We could always start it up again.
I was tired of talking to myself.

The problem is always we can't find enough Net Controllers. I did it for a while, but the time of day (Saturday morning where I am) is not that easy for me, especially if I'm out doing actual Overlanding.

How about a week night? I imagine attendance would be challenging on a Saturday if everyone is out adventuring.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
It's only Saturday for me because I'm in Australia.
We previously discussed having it on a different evening (US time).
It would be fine for that to happen, although it would probably end up during my work hours. I could still check in sometimes, but I would depend on other net controllers to run it.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Like Mike and Randall said above, it died out due to lack of enough net controllers. When Da Rona hit my job responsibilities took me out of the rotation. Since then, I also somehow managed to get promoted which left me even less free time. Prior to that, I had every other Friday off and could either commit or cover at least two times a month, so it was no big deal to jump in at the last minute because my schedule hardly ever deviated. Now I'm lucky to even be LEAVING the office by net time much less work control as I work 12 hour shifts and have a 45 minute to 1 hour commute on a GOOD day. I know that Brent (W7BR), Ed (N7PHY) and Terry (KT4OZ) also had and still have a lot going on in life as well. I met up with Brent and Bill (KI7RAM) at Expo Mountain West a couple of months ago and we did talk about trying to get it started up again but came back to the same issue as before. Lack of interest in being net control. So unless we can get and KEEP a fair size rotating pool of control stations going it is likely done. Having been one of the ones that helped get it going, it does sting a bit that it faded out but you never know what the future holds, so...

And before I forget (I don't think I ever said it) but HUGE props to Randall for trying to keep it going as long as he did. A true warrior to the end. CHEERS MATE! I owe you a few drinks if you ever get Stateside and end up somewhere along the Gulf Coast!

Last edited:
Reactions: Weim.Runner