Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Looking for but can’t find a thread for networking with HAM radio operators. I think it’s a great resource to have with locations and operators maybe a map to see and connect in emergencies and or just community? Could be a valuable resource for the app? Just my thoughts? Maybe I missed the thread somewhere?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Daniel,

There is the implementation of a live APRS map overlay on the roadmap for the OB1 app. Do you mean something like that? You can take a look for the detailled description of that feature when following the link to the roadmap here:

Bjoern

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
How do I see that overlay? Web only? I can’t seem to see it in the phone app.? Also the link you sent me doesn’t do anything when I click it?
Sorry still new to this app..
Just seems like having a list of operators based on location would make sense for comms.. that’s what I’m looking for. Maybe on the map showing member locations there can be a designator for Ham operators…??

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
How do I see that overlay? Web only? I can’t seem to see it in the phone app.? Also the link you sent me doesn’t do anything when I click it?
Just seems like having a list of operators based on location would make sense for comms.. that’s what I’m looking for. Maybe on the map showing member locations there can be a designator for Ham operators…??
The APRS overlay is on the implementation roadmap to be implemented in the future.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The APRS overlay is on the implementation roadmap to be implemented in the future.
Not only is it on the road map for future development, but @Michael is working on the overlay right now.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Not only is it on the road map for future development, but @Michael is working on the overlay right now.
Fantastic!!!!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

Ah, thank you. I saw that it is flagged as a "future" feature. But that's even better! Fantastic. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the information @M Rose

APRS_OB1.JPG

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Bwana Digital is currently allowed on GMRS with some requirements. One issue being (4) and possibly another issue being (2).

§ 95.1787 GMRS additional requirements.

Each hand-held portable unit transmitter type submitted for certification under this subpart is subject to the rules in this section.

(a) Digital data transmissions. GMRS hand-held portable units that have the capability to transmit digital data must be designed to meet the following requirements.

(1) Digital data transmissions may contain location information, or requesting location information from one or more other GMRS or FRS units, or containing a brief text message to another specific GMRS or FRS unit. Digital data transmissions may be initiated by a manual action of the operator or on an automatic or periodic basis, and a GMRS unit receiving an interrogation request may automatically respond with its location.
(2) Digital data transmissions must not exceed one second in duration.
(3) Digital data transmissions must not be sent more frequently than one digital data transmission within a thirty-second period, except that a GMRS unit may automatically respond to more than one interrogation request received within a thirty-second period.
(4) The antenna must be a non-removable integral part of the GMRS unit.
(5) GMRS units must not be capable of transmitting digital data on the 467 MHz main channels.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I've read somewhere that the FCC is considering adding digital modes to GMRS. That would be great if APRSDroid worked on GMRS.
It will never be allowed on APRSDroid or APRS.fi because of the protocols used to send APRS data. However there is an app for GMRS/FRS location services sponsored by Polaris in conjunction with Garmin… it’s called Ride Command.

Bwana

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Riverbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Silveira
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SDB
@Bwana Digital is currently allowed on GMRS with some requirements. One issue being (4) and possibly another issue being (2).

§ 95.1787 GMRS additional requirements.

Each hand-held portable unit transmitter type submitted for certification under this subpart is subject to the rules in this section.

(a) Digital data transmissions. GMRS hand-held portable units that have the capability to transmit digital data must be designed to meet the following requirements.

(1) Digital data transmissions may contain location information, or requesting location information from one or more other GMRS or FRS units, or containing a brief text message to another specific GMRS or FRS unit. Digital data transmissions may be initiated by a manual action of the operator or on an automatic or periodic basis, and a GMRS unit receiving an interrogation request may automatically respond with its location.
(2) Digital data transmissions must not exceed one second in duration.
(3) Digital data transmissions must not be sent more frequently than one digital data transmission within a thirty-second period, except that a GMRS unit may automatically respond to more than one interrogation request received within a thirty-second period.
(4) The antenna must be a non-removable integral part of the GMRS unit.
(5) GMRS units must not be capable of transmitting digital data on the 467 MHz main channels.
I think that the duration has been the limitation to
a broader use. With the lack of igates in the gmrs reaperter system it can not work as well as the Ham version but it would be useful on the trail.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Are you looking to locate others while out and about? Have you looked at

This is a fantastic resource! And ya figured it would be nice to see HAMs in the area that I can connect with for additional comms when cell service is out. Layers of communications..
KN6TKY

Ahoward2k

Rank VI

Advocate I

Helena, Alabama, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI5FK
Service Branch
Army retired
Will the APRS overlay come from APRS.fi and require internet connectivity or will it be able to take APRS straight from the radio and work offline?

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
a broader use. With the lack of igates in the gmrs reaperter system it can not work as well as the Ham version but it would be useful on the trail.
The Garmin Rino has been able to broadcast digital data on GMRS since the early 2000's thanks to a waiver Garmin received from the FCC, but I don't think anybody has integrated the data into APRSDroid. It works pretty well, but the system is not nearly as robust as APRS. I recently picked up few used (and cheap) Rinos to experiment with and they worked well on a recent trip.

Reactions: Bwana

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Will the APRS overlay come from APRS.fi and require internet connectivity or will it be able to take APRS straight from the radio and work offline?
OB1 will be getting APRS info straight from the radio, no internet….

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The Garmin Rino (GMRS+GPS) has allowed TX and display of location data for a long time. They have several levels of Rino radios, here is one to look at. They are expensive for a GMRS Radio/GPS but their quality is over the top and have the best battery life of any device that I have ever owned.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: M Rose

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
The Garmin Rino (GMRS+GPS) has allowed TX and display of location data for a long time. They have several levels of Rino radios, here is one to look at. They are expensive for a GMRS Radio/GPS but their quality is over the top and have the best battery life of any device that I have ever owned.
I would not buy a NEW Rino. You can find gently used Rino's on eBay for a fraction of the price. They are reliable and easy to use. An old Rino works and communicates with a modern Rino no problem and all Rinos will communicate with a standard GMRS radio.
1656353294504.png

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I would not buy a NEW Rino. You can find gently used Rino's on eBay for a fraction of the price. They are reliable and easy to use. An old Rino works and communicates with a modern Rino no problem and all Rinos will communicate with a standard GMRS radio.
View attachment 234206
Good advice, spendy little units. Mine is old, used to use it in my adventure motorcycle days to communicate and see where others in the group were - same form factor as the green one on the right. Have nothing but good things to say about them save the price ;)