Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Hey All,

Below is some excerpts from a training I did for basic radio communication principles, practices and best practices. This was for the SAR Team, however, has civilian/everyday use also. Just figured I'd share as it is pertinent to Overlanding. I am planning to get my Ham License soon, but operate under my SAR membership for now. Using a radio such as CB or Ham is different than using a cell phone. These principles can also be used on a FRS radio such as the cobra, motorola and handhelds you get a Walmart.

I use a Baofeng UV5R handheld radio for SAR, backpacking and overland trips. I do not have a whip antenna on my Jeep yet, but have been happy with the 14" whip antenna reception I get with it in the vehicle; not best, but good.

I used the Chirp software that is available online to program and set my radio specs. It is MUCH simpler than trying to do so manually on the handheld radio. The website www.miklor.com has a great repository of information, data, files, downloads, reviews etc on the Baofeng radios (and many others.). It is worth checking out if you are getting into the Ham Radio market.

Here are my talking notes and information for a training I did, with some information omitted that isn't pertinent:

Communications Basics

1. Basics of radio communications

a. Ensure radio is charged, or batteries are fresh.

b. Know how to operate your radio-prior to trip, event or emergency.

i. Don’t just hand a radio to a person if they don’t understand how to operate the radio and/or are not trained. Ensure that your radioperson understands the process and procedure of communication as it may be your only lifeline between your team and further help.

c. Make sure you are on the correct channel.

i. Ensure the radio is on the proper channel/frequency/squelch and appropriate sub-channel or sub-tone if needed for repeater.

ii. Perform a radio check prior to beginning your trip, event.

1. Have another member key up to ensure reception (RX) and key your radio to ensure transmission (TX) on the appropriate channel assigned.

d. The radio antenna transmits and receives signals. Get the antenna as high as possible and hold vertical for best signal. Do not touch the antenna during transmission as the body can absorb the radio frequencies affecting range and clarity. Do not operate if the antenna is loose or unattached.

e. A majority of battery usage occurs when transmitting a signal. Only transmit when ready and when pertinent information needs to be shared.

f. If more than one member of the squad has a radio. Only have one radio powered at a time to conserve battery power. Not all members need to have their radios in operation, only the member assigned to radio duty. (may not be suitable to ovelanding in vehicles, but if you leave the vehicles ensure one person has a radio to talk with others).

g. Leave radios on low volume in staging areas, nothing is worse than 50 radios blaring a message so loud you can see colors.

h. It is against Federal Law to do any of the following and could result in fines:

i. Use foul or obscene language on the radio

ii. Purposely interfere with the other radio users

iii. Give false information over the radio

iv. Conduct business or personal matters not related to Search and Rescue

i. Do not speak with humor, sarcasm or anger over the radio.

j. HOT MIC! –be aware of the TX button or Push-to-talk (PTT) on your radio. Unintentionally pressing the button can result in unwanted communication over the channel that could affect others trying to communicate pertinent info and make your own personal conversation all that is transmitted.

k. OMIT

l. OMIT

2. Transmitting (TX) a message

a. Be aware that someone with a scanner IS listening to your message. Do not give sensitive information over the radio.

b. Listen before you transmit. Ensure that nobody else is sending a message.

c. Press the TX or PTT button and hold for 2 seconds before transmitting to ensure the radio has come to full wattage for signal strength.

d. State the call sign/name of who you want to contact, then your call sign/name. For example, “Command Post this is Radio 1,” would be appropriate for Radio Personnel 1 to communicate to the Command Post.

e. Be clear and concise with your message. Practice what you are going to say before you key the mic. Write down your message or cover the message with your scribe prior to keying the mic. This will ensure you use as little air time as possible and your message is understood.

f. Speak clearly and distinctly when transmitting. Be direct to the point and short. Do not use contractions like “don’t, can’t or won’t” as they can be misinterpreted over the radio. Keep stress and excitement from your voice. Be monotone and consistent in your rate. Don’t shout or yell into your mic. If you conducted strenuous activity prior to transmitting, try to gain your breath/rate before sending.

g. Don’t use jargon or layman’s terms. These terms may mean different things to people, organizations, or members and may cause confusion.

h. Give numerical information in clusters. For example, if you are giving UTM coordinates, your message for 11S 309068 4129507 should be “11Sam,” “Three zero nine, zero six eight,” “break” “Four one two nine,” “break” “Five zero seven,” “break.” This will help the receiver to get all the digits and retain information you are sending. By stating “break,” you actually pause for 3-4 seconds to give the receiver a chance to scribe the message and respond with questions.

i. Remember “Praise in public, criticize in private.”

3. Receiving (RX) a message

a. LISTEN! There may be a lot of noise, competing for your attention in the field, but you must listen for your call sign, name or team name over the radio.

b. Check your volume knob regularly. Your gear, straps, clothing or elements may turn your radio knob for volume/squelch up or down. Make sure to check your radio volume and operation each time to you stop for breaks.

c. Answer or acknowledge communications you understand with “copy, affirmative, or 10-4.” This will let the sender know that you received the message correctly.

d. Do not be apprehensive to ask for clarification or to have a message repeated. You want to ensure you have the correct message.

e. Be patient with a response to your question or communication. The receiver may be deciphering many medium of communication and data. Like your communications, they want to be clear and concise in their directives or responses.

f. If asked to relay a message, give the message to the recipient verbatim. Do not change phrasing, letters, numbers or information/data. The message is not for you to decipher, but to relay only!