Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Both of those are good choices....and so is Yaesu. I happen to run Yaesu, but you can't go wrong with the top 3 brands.

Pick a brand and stick with it. It's going to be easier for programing once you learn one brand.

All that being said, remember the antenna is the most important part of your radio system.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
What are your goals with the radio? Are you wanting to run APRS? How about packet radio? Are you going to be doing any digital repeater work? If you are going to use digital repeaters, what digital mode are the repeater using as the different modes are brand specific ie Wires X, DStar, DMR.

Just a few questions to help confuse you more so we can help steer you to the right radio… that way you won’t be like me having three different 2m radios to do everything that one would do had I chosen the correct radio the first time.

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
I'll go with what the others say, perhaps find a few friends with the different brands and try them if possible?
The top 3 are all as good as each other, I also a TYT unit which is about 1/3rd the price of any of my Yaesu stuff and does exactly the same job, the only compromise I'd say is in the quality of the plastics used, I'm sure the components are cheaper too but I've never had an issue and have been running a TYT Quad band for roughly 8 years now.

The feel of the interface and how easy you find it to program are the top priority and ultimately be the factor that decides if you keep it.

As 4L said, the main thing to keep in mind is the antenna. I've made the mistake before of going for something based on looks, or mounting it somewhere that's more aesthetically pleasing and it has a huge impact on the overall usability.
Nobody wants to be that guy who can always barely be heard on the radio. Because if one day you are at the back of a group, or on your own, and you need help and can't reach people because you thought it looked cooler to have the antenna on the front bumper rather than up on the roof then you'll regret it.

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
What are your goals with the radio? Are you wanting to run APRS? How about packet radio? Are you going to be doing any digital repeater work? If you are going to use digital repeaters, what digital mode are the repeater using as the different modes are brand specific ie Wires X, DStar, DMR.

Just a few questions to help confuse you more so we can help steer you to the right radio… that way you won’t be like me having three different 2m radios to do everything that one would do had I chosen the correct radio the first time.
Thank you. These are really important questions. Because then we can advise much better on this subject. I would like to add the question whether the device should be able to do APRS and voice radio in parallel (because my FTM 100 can not and now I would like it, so better think carefully before buying and compare).

Reactions: Willys Yella Jeep

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army

Both the Kenwood and the Icom meet my capability target. Since my trail buddy is running a Kenwood I may go that route. Still undecided.

Willy

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Both the Kenwood and the Icom meet my capability target. Since my trail buddy is running a Kenwood I may go that route. Still undecided.

Willy
I drove down to Portland to check out various units at Ham Radio Outlet before deciding on my Kenwood. I was mostly trying to decide between the TM-D710 and the FTM-400, and for me the physical keys and the type of display sold me on the Kenwood.

Your decision might be different, but being able to look at, touch and play with both units helped. Looks like they have a location in Denver, if that's close to you. Ham Radio Outlet Denver, CO

Pro-tip: if you end up buying from them I recommend adding the MARS/CAP mod. It allows you to transmit outside the Ham bands in an emergency. I ended up doing it myself, but it's nerve-wracking unsoldering a resistor that's so small I can barely see it.

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

The Kenwood is the better of those two radios by far. If you do a lot of travel out of areas you are familiar with, consider an Icom 5100. Ignore the DStar but set up the memory banks from online databases. The radio uses the GPS to calculate nearby repeaters. This doesn’t guarantee a contact but it’s helpful in a new area where you may need a repeater to call for help.

Good luck

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army
I Agree with 4L_Warrior… try a few and see what you like before you buy. I’m partial to Yaesu. I have the FTM-400 in my truck. But Icom or Kenwood is just as good.
I just installed my new ftm-300dr in the jeep and am almost done with code plug. Still have to enter limit memory (scan limits) for memory channels and vfo.

Reactions: Jwbuild and M Rose

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army

Good morning,

I've been running my ftm-300dr in my jeep for a bit running aprs and ham channels. Honestly, I haven't played with the digital capability yet. This rig is mostly for trail comms and to assist in rescue and emergencies in colorado.