Rank II

Enthusiast I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Hello everyone, I was just looking for ideas on how you guys that use a ground when doing trips. I know I will probably get a Gazelle tent, but just looking for any tips or how you all set up. Thank you and look forward to your advice and help!

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

The few trips we've done so far, we just pop the tent in a spot where I can have the back of the Jeep pretty close. Camp Setup.jpg

Side note, if you happen to have any travels taking you near Memphis, I have a brand new (still in shipping box) Gazelle T4 I'm looking to sell. :D

Rubi-life2018

Rank II

Enthusiast I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Harden
Member #

The few trips we've done so far, we just pop the tent in a spot where I can have the back of the Jeep pretty close. View attachment 213907

Side note, if you happen to have any travels taking you near Memphis, I have a brand new (still in shipping box) Gazelle T4 I'm looking to sell. :D
Thank you but unfortunately I am not getting down that way any time soon.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

Just thought I’d mention this. Seems to have some popularity in Australia

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m not sure I fallow the question… I just through my Gazelle up, unroll my sleep system and crawl inside…. That is of corse if my family is going with me… if I’m alone, I just sleep in the back of my rig.

jrlombard

Rank V

Advocate II

Laurel, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lombard
Member #

I had the same question. RTT seems like a bit of overkill for me at this point ($$$). Does anyone have any experience with the Crua Core tent system? Need something good for a family of 4, but dropping thousands on a quality RTT isn't in the budget.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

If I'm solo I either hammock or use a small tent.
I use a thermorest sleep pad in both with a decent sleeping bag and inflatable pillow ( all basically backpacking gear).
20210814_071818.jpgreceived_2638357613117359.jpeg

Or if I have the family I my wife likes to find the biggest tent she can to drag along. My wife likes a heavy sleeping bag and our pillows from home on an air mattress for these kinds of trips.20210905_080428.jpg

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I had the same question. RTT seems like a bit of overkill for me at this point ($$$). Does anyone have any experience with the Crua Core tent system? Need something good for a family of 4, but dropping thousands on a quality RTT isn't in the budget.
I've not seen the Crua, but in the quick and easy category, a T4 plus would work pretty well for 4 imho. Especially assuming it's 2 parents and 2 kids as you can use the front part as a tent, and close the divider to have a little privacy. Same with the T8, but I kind of like that with the T4 plus you can turn the front part into a screen room during the day, then close it up as a tent at night.

Transport does become a consideration though, as the thing doesn't pack small.

jrlombard

Rank V

Advocate II

Laurel, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lombard
Member #

I've not seen the Crua, but in the quick and easy category, a T4 plus would work pretty well for 4 imho. Especially assuming it's 2 parents and 2 kids as you can use the front part as a tent, and close the divider to have a little privacy. Same with the T8, but I kind of like that with the T4 plus you can turn the front part into a screen room during the day, then close it up as a tent at night.

Transport does become a consideration though, as the thing doesn't pack small.
Yep, this is where I'm at as well. I'm confident I can figure out the transportation part of it, as long as the tent itself is the right fit for our use case. I agree that the T4 Plus is probably where I'm going to end up. The Crua Core is an inflatable, and I'm all about minimizing failure points. Inflatable "poles" while not a bad idea, seems like a potential failure point. I also like the idea of the T4 Plus going up quickly. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: OverLamb24
I put down a ground cover (cheap tarp) then cut fresh pine branches to make a mat on top of the tarp. I don't take branches from one tree, use several trees so it does not get stressed. Use sleeping pad under your sleeping bag or a cot if you have the room.
I sleep snug as a bug. Dog sleeps on the wool blanket. The branches are also a good spot to take my boots off and not track a bunch of dirt into the tent.

tent.jpgtent1.jpg

Reactions: El-Dracho

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have 3 tents and/or the back of the truck. for the desert or beach, I use a tent that doesn't have any netting that isn't back by solid fabric to prevent blow sand. When I go most other places It's a good 3 season tent. Winter camping gets a very good 4 season tent. I don'r need to stand up in any of them, so they are lower and more stable than house tents. The weigh up to 15# and pack up small.
Sleeping is using the thickest Therm-rest on the ground with sleeping bag on top. I have straps secure 2 pads together when needed. I do pack a pillow too.
I also sleep on a tarp/bivy bag to look at the stars when the weather is good.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I use a Seek Outside 8 person tipi for my family of 4. TONS of space with the stove and tons more without. I use a tarp and wool blankets for ground covering. Then lay down mats/pads and then bags. I do recommend the screen doors and I don’t have the liner for condensation but haven’t had anything drip on anyone. Carbon fiber pole. Comes in around $1400, but so much space and extremely great in the weather. Weighs about 5lbs with stove and pole. Folds down into the size of a sleeping bag.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Hello everyone, I was just looking for ideas on how you guys that use a ground when doing trips. I know I will probably get a Gazelle tent, but just looking for any tips or how you all set up. Thank you and look forward to your advice and help!
For me and my fam, the key is a good ground covering and multiple layers. Even with your gazelle, great choice btw!, don’t be afraid to throw down a tarp underneath and some good padding inside. We have a couple auto quilts and wool blankets that make our tents or ground coverings real comfy. Pack everything down in stuff sacks etc. Have fun out there!

Rubi-life2018

Rank II

Enthusiast I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Harden
Member #

For me and my fam, the key is a good ground covering and multiple layers. Even with your gazelle, great choice btw!, don’t be afraid to throw down a tarp underneath and some good padding inside. We have a couple auto quilts and wool blankets that make our tents or ground coverings real comfy. Pack everything down in stuff sacks etc. Have fun out there!
Thank you that is some really good advice! I will definitely keep that in mind!

Reactions: KAIONE

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
Here's a couple of pics of our Gazelle setup from this summer. One with the rainfly one without. We use a ground tarp too While the Gazelle floor does seem durable, I like the level of comfort I feel from having the ground tarp.

Attachments

Reactions: Downs and alopez143