Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, CA, USA
First Name
Emerson
Last Name
L
Member #

Just stumbled upon this thread - my son and I are headed up there June 20ish! Thanks for the write up. :)

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Will be up there in early June. Following as well, thanks!

Reactions: emonomics

kalinut

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Metuchen, NJ, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Festa
Member #

I will be in the Tetons with my family late Friday. Thanks for the tips on places to go! If anyone is around (July 8-11, 2022) I would enjoy meeting up! How bad is the bear situation for ground tenting? Are there specific areas that are worst or should we try to avoid dispersed camping altogether and instead stick closer to other people?

nateh

Rank III

Advocate I

Pocatello, ID
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
@kalinut You're going to be a few weeks ahead of me! Bummer.

I'm going to throw this up on the general thread in the event this thread doesn't get seen here but I'm planning a 3 day/2 night overlanding route in and around the Tetons. I've been to GTNP and given that I've lived here in SE Idaho for 7 years now I've got a decent understanding of things over here on my side of the mountains. However, I've never really ventured through much of extreme western Wyoming and want to just take my time and soak it all in. I feel like I'm pretty good at juggling Google Maps with USFS MVU maps but I'd love if someone with some real expertise and time on the ground in this area (@Dana Ramos ?) would critique and improve the plan I've got in place! My plan is to go clockwise on the route below. For some reason Google won't let me connect Ashton to GTNP via the Ashton-Flagg Ranch Rd but that's my intended route between those two points, despite it not showing.

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Sorry for the delayed response. Haven't had a lot of downtime lately. With you being right there in Poky, next time you're looking for a fun drive, you can stay on dirt almost the whole way from IF to West Yellowstone, MT. First part isn't shown here, but Heise Hot Springs to Green Canyon Hot Springs then your at the N end of Teton Valley. With the exception of a bridge at Fall Creek on hwy 32, you can drive the west side of the Tetons all the way to West on 2 track + a couple gravel roads. Go for a drive through the park and cut back through Grassy Lake. There's a couple days worth of driving with more than few worthy sights and plenty of places to camp along the way. Packsaddle Lake, Jackpine/Pinochle Loop, Cave and Mesa Falls, Railroad Pass, Big Springs. S. MT is pretty rad too. Been riding the MTN bike up in the Madison and Gravelly Range and have driven that road from end to end a couple times.

Screenshot_20220819-042927.png

This is single track map but this zone is the mecca for big Backcountry rides:
Screenshot_20220819-050709.png

Last edited: