Grand Canyon Camping spot Recommendations.

• HTML tutorial

ISH

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Smoky Mountain, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Isherwood
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Hello,

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon and looking for a camping spot to view the scenery.

We will be traveling in a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a Boreas XT Camper and are looking for something within a few hours to a day's drive to the closest town (for supplies).

Any recommendations would be awesome and highly looked at. Please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Mike ISH

Reactions: freak4life

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
North Rim is best by far, I personally used to stay a week at Demotte campground and 4x4 all over daily (after seeing the sights).......Plus the drive up on the North is beautiful, Vermillion Cliffs are awesome.

I have camped South Rim as well, way more people and few camping spots.

Of course I am no expert and this is my experience.

jg45

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bartlett, TN
First Name
John
Last Name
Gilmer
Member #

Kanab Point on the North Rim is beautiful and does not require a National Park permit. When we went, the winds were very high and so we ended up camping about a mile in from the rim in the forest. If the wind is down, there are several great options at Kanab Point to camp right on the rim.

Reactions: Jim SoG

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello,

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon and looking for a camping spot to view the scenery.

We will be traveling in a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a Boreas XT Camper and are looking for something within a few hours to a day's drive to the closest town (for supplies).

Any recommendations would be awesome and highly looked at. Please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Mike ISH
Hello Michael, I prefer the the North rim, a visit to Bright Angel is always nice. Timp point is beautiful. Try the site called Roadslesstraveled.us
Have fun and leave it nicer than you find it.

ISH

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Isherwood
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Hi Everyone.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We moved on picking the north rim - seems less crowded. Would love to be in the backcountry, but as we have never been there, may settle for a campground. Needless to say, a lot more research.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Kelly’s Point is fabulous, period. However the trek is not for the ill equipped or light hearted. It lies on the north rim 100 miles south of St.George. However, the last 25-30 miles is very technical, turning the 100 mile drive into an 8 hour adventure. One might not encounter anyone. We encountered 4 people for the entire 5 days during the “busy” season.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi Everyone.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We moved on picking the north rim - seems less crowded. Would love to be in the backcountry, but as we have never been there, may settle for a campground. Needless to say, a lot more research.
I made it to Timp point in a 2 wd Xterra easy drive.

Reactions: ISH

ISH

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Isherwood
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Kelly’s Point is fabulous, period. However the trek is not for the ill equipped or light hearted. It lies on the north rim 100 miles south of St.George. However, the last 25-30 miles is very technical, turning the 100 mile drive into an 8 hour adventure. One might not encounter anyone. We encountered 4 people for the entire 5 days during the “busy” season.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that sounds like a little to much for us.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

If you're coming in through Page, Lee's Ferry campground is about two hours from the North Rim and a good option for a break - flush johns and fresh water but no showers. Campground is located near the put in for all the river rafters and has a lot of Mormon history. Its fairly common to see Condors in the area especially late in the day near Navajo Bridge and the Rock House Road drive through the Vermillion Cliffs NM is worth the trip. Lots of great dispersed camping spots available on FS roads in Kanab NF just outside the entrance gate - get a MVUM map of the Forest for specifics.

Last edited:

ISH

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Isherwood
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
If you're coming in through Page, Lee's Ferry campground is about two hours from the North Rim and a good option for a break - flush johns and fresh water but no showers. Campground is located near the put in for all the river rafters and has a lot of Mormon history. Its fairly common to see Condors in the area especially late in the day near Navajo Bridge and the Rock House Road drive through the Vermillion Cliffs NM is worth the trip. Lots of great dispersed camping spots available on FS roads in Kanab NF just outside the entrance gate - get a MVUM map of the Forest for specifics.

Thanks for the suggestion. like you said, may be a goo spot for a break.

ISH

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Isherwood
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Hello Michael, I prefer the the North rim, a visit to Bright Angel is always nice. Timp point is beautiful. Try the site called Roadslesstraveled.us
Have fun and leave it nicer than you find it.
Hi,

My wife decided on Timp point, do you need a backcountry permit to stay the night?

Thank you