Launch Member

Contributor III

Irving, TX, USA
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Bulgarelli
Member #

I have an old iPad that I want to use as navigation. I believe it is only WiFi therefore I will need a receiver. I am looking to use Gaia but wondering what receiver would you suggest me to buy? I appreciate the recommendations and comments. Thank you

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

I used a Garmin Glo 2 with my older iPad mini. It worked great. Long lasting battery and I simply kept in the overhead sunglasses bin. You have to remember to turn it on with the iPad but it shuts down automatically when you shut down your iPad.

Schuckm

Rank II

Contributor III

Chula Vista, CALIFORNIA
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Schuck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC4QAA
I just used my Garmon Glo in Utah with my iPad. I used it with Gaia GPS and it work very well and very accurate.

Reactions: RoverMB

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

My vote is for the Garmin GLO ll . It’s so accurate when returning down a trail you could see my track was in the other tire path from hiking in. D2A50948-E297-40C2-9B32-31DCD2861C8A.jpeg

Reactions: RoverMB

cumminsdieselfreak

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

NC
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Letterman
Member #

I've had both the Garmin Glo and Dual XGPS 160 with my iPad. I prefer the Garmin Glo but you can't go wrong with either.

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Redacted
We've used a BadElf for years and the damned thing won't quit. Even when I ran it over with my F250. The screen doesn't work but it still runs like a champ. I do all the control of it over bluetooth. We also use it to drop breadcrumbs so I can track all of our trips and where we went.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

A quick note about using older tabs for maps, specifically GAIA. I ran my Samsung Tab 3 with GAIA only. Disabled all other apps except Google Maps. My internal GPS did not function well. GAIA was slow to respond and locate me regularly. I had tested it before leaving on a long trip but apparently not far enough off grid. I traveled 160 miles with zero cellphone reception on my mobile, and my tab was essentially useless due to the internal GPS and GAIA resource utilization. I will buy a newer refurb tablet and will def look at the Garmin unit above as an antennae.