Exton, PA, USA
First Name
CIBI
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3LCM
Hi friends, with the GoPro11 being released yesterday, I placed my order, hoping to be able to using it for capture and record my overland/offroad trip, I know there are very few posts/videos of how people have been using gopro to creatively capture the overland action, so I am creating this thread to maybe gather ideas from this awesome overland community.
Please share how you use gopro or similar action cameras to camera your adventures.

Thanks!

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Hi friends, with the GoPro11 being released yesterday, I placed my order, hoping to be able to using it for capture and record my overland/offroad trip, I know there are very few posts/videos of how people have been using gopro to creatively capture the overland action, so I am creating this thread to maybe gather ideas from this awesome overland community.
Please share how you use gopro or similar action cameras to camera your adventures.

Oh boy! Those options are endless especially with a suction cup mount you can put it on the side of the truck top of the truck under the truck behind the truck on the hood on the window looking at yourself. We love our suction cup mount. It’s also kind of cool to get a tripod and do hyper laps of the sunsets and sunrises.
Thanks!

Enthusiast III

Clare, Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm

Thanks!
I started using GoPros on my motorcycles, so many easy places to stick one. I loved the front fender cam. Now I use the cameras on my 4Runner. I always have one on the dash to capture the journey. I use the 10 and love the horizon correction. When not driving I will stick one out the sunroof and shoot both the road ahead and behind.

I have learned, short captures are best when you have hours of editing. But sometimes you just need to leave it running for fun.

Reactions: Ceg

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
We use a few different cameras for the videos we make.

I normally use my GoPro9 on the dash of what I am driving on trips. My F350, both Jeeps, and my wife's Mustang GT. I mounted it on a golf cart and a tractor to film events at the Central WA AG Museum. I use it on a stick there too.

On overlanding events I normally keep the GoPro9 on the dash because it is a pain to get it put back in since I keep it plugged into power. I record out of the rig with a GoPro7 or my cell phone. We sometimes have another GoPro on a different rig in the group to add a different view to the video.

We have fun making videos and sharing our adventures. We post most videos at Ceg-TV.com since most people use YouTube.

Have fun!

robkroupa

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma City, OK, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Kroupa
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5JPP
Service Branch
USAF
How is the vibration reduction on the gopros? I tried mounting my dslr to my dash to film some trails and the footage was shaky it was unusable.

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
How is the vibration reduction on the gopros? I tried mounting my dslr to my dash to film some trails and the footage was shaky it was unusable.
With the right settings (usually default) the GoPro will horizon lock very well and get a nice smooth image. Couple instances where that has failed me I was in very tight terrain and the camera could not identify the horizon due to dense tree coverage. This was with the 9Black. Might have gotten better that last couple iterations.

I have several mounts around the vehicle and a suction cup. Just be sure the suction cup is on a truely smooth and clean surface! Otherwise you might just run over your $400 camera and have to jog back up trail 1/4mile at 10000ft to retrieve your now destroyed camera/mount.:disrelieved:

Reactions: robkroupa

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I use a few different cameras. I have to say GoPros work so much better when moving. I only had a problem when I tried a long extension mounted on the Jeep. It didn't show vibrations but showed more swaying then normal. Even walking around my GoPros are smoother than my other cameras.