Good DSLR for night pics?

• HTML tutorial

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Interesting. Mine hasn't caused any glow in any of my images, but I'll definitely look into a different type of remote before going out with a group, just in case.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

So I was playing around a bit, not in an optimal area since I am in my 18 wheeler this week. So I pulled into a rest area and did some 20 to 60 second exposures with my Rokinon 12mm[24mm equiv] set the camera to a 2 second delay on the shutter and took a few shots, I also played with the remote phone app to do timed shots in manual mode. I was able to get stars and pull out some color from the sky in some shots but only in post. Happy with results so far. This is entertaining.
OI002821-01.jpeg OI002849-01.jpeg

Reactions: Boort

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I am just starting with the Astro stuff and use a 6D. Just know to get pictures of the MW like you see on Gram or other sites take a lot of photoshop skill. Sure you can get good results in Lightroom but even with the best camera and lens you are a far way from anything you see that makes you say Wow. So make sure you have an okay computer, 27” screen is nice, and at a minimum Lightroom, but Photoshop is better.

And hope you can find dark skies.

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

I had a pentax k3ii. The star tracker feature uses the built in gps and sensor shift like a gimble. I had some good results with the Rokinon12mm and 5 minute exposures right out of the camera.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I am just starting with the Astro stuff and use a 6D. Just know to get pictures of the MW like you see on Gram or other sites take a lot of photoshop skill. Sure you can get good results in Lightroom but even with the best camera and lens you are a far way from anything you see that makes you say Wow. So make sure you have an okay computer, 27” screen is nice, and at a minimum Lightroom, but Photoshop is better.

And hope you can find dark skies.
While PS is helpful/needed for some MW photos, LR is more than capable of producing good MW photos:

Reactions: HKLover and Boort

CMJeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Minnesota
Member #

::waveing:: Photographer here.

Lots of good info in the posts above.

For sure a Full Frame body is going to up your game for night time photography. I sort of skimmed through all the posts so forgive me if this was covered. But you want to shoot in the lowest ISO you can handle for less sensor noise with the widest aperture.

I primarily use a Nikon D810 (still have a D700) and a Sony A7s. Both have excellent low light function. The nice thing about the Sony is you can turn the ISO up to 512,000 to help focus then dial it back to get your photo.

A night sky filter also helps depending on your location. Something like this: https://breakthrough.photography/products/night-sky-filter?variant=11505393041450

As soon as I have made my minimum number of posts I will post some examples.

Happy shooting!

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

OI000430-01.jpeg
Iso 1600. 12mm f2, 60 secs i think. Man, I can only imagine what a Sony A7s would see up there. This was last night just east of Chetwynd in BC Canada. Before the haze from the fires rolled in.