Good afternoon everyone. New to the website and new to overlanding.

• HTML tutorial

Bearpaw225

Rank III

Contributor III

Elysburg, PA, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Yeager
Good afternoon my name is William I'm a 23 yo male who had grown up camping and being out in the deep woods my whole life pretty much. Kayaking, hiking and catch and cook meals is what I love to do. I drive a 98 GMC utility Yukon (So not the really giant long one but the more or less older bronco sized one). I'm looking to get into overlanding for alittle bit of adventure and to prepare my vehicle so it is ready for offroad, mud and snow terrain and recovery. As of now. I have equipped the yukon with 285/70/17 tires, a roof rack and front bull bar with light bars. Now where im located in Pennsylvania it gets pretty shitty here. Right now we are looking at a winter weather advisory and I'm not exactly located near any main highways or roads. All dirt roads where I'm at lol. So no plows or anything for awhile not only would starting overland be a great start to many adventures. I think it would help in times like these as well lol. So like I said not only am I looking for some tips on recovery gear and tools to carry on the vehicle but I am looking to get into overlanding in general and wanted to know where to start? I hope to have a great start on here and hopefully in the future go to a few meets in my area even. Thank you to whomever is taking time to read this jumbled mess of a paragraph and hope to get a few bushwhacking comrades on the way.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Good afternoon my name is William I'm a 23 yo male who had grown up camping and being out in the deep woods my whole life pretty much. Kayaking, hiking and catch and cook meals is what I love to do. I drive a 98 GMC utility Yukon (So not the really giant long one but the more or less older bronco sized one). I'm looking to get into overlanding for alittle bit of adventure and to prepare my vehicle so it is ready for offroad, mud and snow terrain and recovery. As of now. I have equipped the yukon with 285/70/17 tires, a roof rack and front bull bar with light bars. Now where im located in Pennsylvania it gets pretty shitty here. Right now we are looking at a winter weather advisory and I'm not exactly located near any main highways or roads. All dirt roads where I'm at lol. So no plows or anything for awhile not only would starting overland be a great start to many adventures. I think it would help in times like these as well lol. So like I said not only am I looking for some tips on recovery gear and tools to carry on the vehicle but I am looking to get into overlanding in general and wanted to know where to start? I hope to have a great start on here and hopefully in the future go to a few meets in my area even. Thank you to whomever is taking time to read this jumbled mess of a paragraph and hope to get a few bushwhacking comrades on the way.
Hello William, welcome to Overland Bound. If you are solo most of the time I would suggest a winch, one that is rated at 1.5 times the weight of your vehicle.

Last edited:

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome To Overland Bound
@Wawa Skittletits is our Local Expert in your area, you might message him.
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. East (VA WV MD DE NJ PA NY CT RI MA NH VT ME)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About EAST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community William. Glad to have you join us.

Reactions: Bearpaw225

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Thanks a ton. I'm hoping to do exactly that haha. Just need to get some more gear and a better set of tires.
Run what you have and you’ll figure where to spend your money first! Good tires are always helpful for sure!

Bearpaw225

Rank III

Contributor III

Elysburg, PA, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Yeager
So update on my overland vehicle. I ended up sticking to the size I was at and I went to a mud terrain tire. High country Prinx. I also added 2 more pod lights to my bull bar and I'm in the making trying to get a set of roof lights as well. I have a recovery strap now as well has some heavy duty rachet straps. I would also like to configure the back of my vehicle somehow to camp and have it all organized for my gear so im in the process of some designs. I'll post pictures later on for whom may be interested. Hope everyone is having a great day !

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So update on my overland vehicle. I ended up sticking to the size I was at and I went to a mud terrain tire. High country Prinx. I also added 2 more pod lights to my bull bar and I'm in the making trying to get a set of roof lights as well. I have a recovery strap now as well has some heavy duty rachet straps. I would also like to configure the back of my vehicle somehow to camp and have it all organized for my gear so im in the process of some designs. I'll post pictures later on for whom may be interested. Hope everyone is having a great day !
I didn't think there was anyone still interested in PA on overland bound.

Welcome.

Be sure to go to be local area forum and for some introductory stuff, read threw some of my posts. Any questions let me know. Haven't talked shop here for awhile!

Purple Lizard Maps and and this link will have you out in no time!

Reactions: Bearpaw225