Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I've gotten 2-3 miles in open country using GMRS handhelds in vehicles on a road trip. I don't use the bubble pack radios though. Instead I get commercial Part 90 type radios, program them for GMRS, and use GMRS specific antennas. By contrast, I usually get about a dozen miles on 2m simplex (vhf ham band) in open country using my mobile radio and externally mounted antenna. GMRS would do the same +/- a few miles depending on terrain and vegetation. 2 meters will theoretically work better in thick vegetation as the wavelength of GMRS is close to the size of leaves and such and gets absorbed faster.

Radio is not good at penetrating ground or rock and it sounds like you were driving through terrain that obscured line of sight. As other have mentioned, neither CB nor GMRS will perform well in those circumstances as they are both LOS dependent. Very low frequencies in the HF band (such as the 80m ham band) have several miles of useful ground wave propagation (like an AM radio station). When you see rigs in the Australian Outback or Africa with the fat antennas mounted on the brushguards that is what they are using. Sadly, those setups run into the thousands but they also work for hundreds or thousands of miles on skywave.
How many watts are you running on 2m. I get about 90 miles on simplex 2m with a huge mountain between me and my friend W7OIL on 75 watts.

OkieMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Marty
Last Name
AAAA
Member #

I'm looking at buying a good quality hand held GMRS with a decent range, can you recommend any particular model?
if you are looking for purely a handheld these look pretty sweet. External mag antenna and a pigtail to take the stress off the antenna jack and you could have a decent system. I started in GMRS and it got me into the HAM world. Daughter is still young so GMRS works for her well out in the wild.
Gmrs Review

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I'm looking at buying a good quality hand held GMRS with a decent range, can you recommend any particular model?
The Wouxun KG905 is a solid model. For range, you can swap to a longer antenna - not sure a 15 inch antenna is that workable inside a vehicle though.

Wandering_Wolverine

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Papillion, NE, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Priest
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8JOK
Service Branch
USAF
How many watts are you running on 2m. I get about 90 miles on simplex 2m with a huge mountain between me and my friend W7OIL on 75 watts.
I typically get about a 12-14 miles on 2m simplex from my mobile in the flat conditions of my AO. You can get much further from mountain to mountain. My mobile runs 50 watts.

Gary

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I typically get about a 12-14 miles on 2m simplex from my mobile in the flat conditions of my AO. You can get much further from mountain to mountain. My mobile runs 50 watts.

Gary
You need a better antenna with more gain. My Baeofeng can do 18 miles all day long every day on the flats.