Contributor II

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Hi all,

Similar to another q posted recently. We'll be travelling around the US and would be bringing some GMRS radios. I checked and see the requirement for a license. I started the process but get hung up on the application due to no US mailing address to input into the form. I answered all questions even saying I was a foreign national or some other wording when getting my FRN.

Anyone done this successfully? Not required if not a US citizen?

Thanks

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch
There is a license requirement in the US, there is not a test jst a form that needes to be filled out and fee sent in. It is good for 10years and covers all family members so its more of a government tax to grab you money, my guess is that less than 50% of the people using GMRS here have the license. I have attached a link with good info. FCC GMRS License Information

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
There is a license requirement in the US, there is not a test jst a form that needes to be filled out and fee sent in. It is good for 10years and covers all family members so its more of a government tax to grab you money, my guess is that less than 50% of the people using GMRS here have the license. I have attached a link with good info. FCC GMRS License Information
Probably way less lol

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
When you start the FRN process on CORES, you're asked if this is for a business or personal, and also if your address is within the US. Select NO, and the form becomes different. This should allow you to complete it. Note that Canadian GMRS and US GMRS equipment requirements are different, and specifically that in the US, you're allowed up to 50 Watts on channels 15-22 (and repeaters), and 5 Watts on channels 1-7. You're also allowed to operate either wideband or narrowband (most are wideband). The rules say you should use type-accepted GMRS equipment under Part 95E, but most people I know just use modified ham rigs.

If you're planning an extended trip in the U.S., you might want to consider obtaining a ham license before you go. It's dirt simple and in Canada, the lifetime is for life. Unlike GMRS, you can use your ham callsign with the appropriate suffix in the U.S. without any additional license paperwork/etc. Before I got licensed in the United States I used my Canadian call here after we moved down (VE3THX/W2).

1649830145732.png

1649830333154.png