Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Hello fellow OB'rs. I've been trying to find this info and I'm sure its here somewhere spread out in these 25 pages but I'm struggling. My GF and I have gotten into overlanding/dispersed camping over the past 1.5-2 years. We do not go super far off grid. Most our trips have taken us no more than a few hours of dirt driving to reach our destinations. We have thus far traveled by ourselves but leave our plans with friends to be safe. We would like to get some communications with the world in case something goes sideways with us. Or if something goes sideways with someone else we could offer assistance. I have been leaning towards GMRS due to price and ease of license. I just dont have desire to get into becoming a HAM guy. Can some one point me in the direction of something along the lines of 'GMRS for dummies"? I would like a mobile rather than portables. I see Midland is a popular brand, I'm familiar with Midlands due to my occupation. Trying to figure out the best course for the right $$ is a bit overwhelming. Thanks!
Matt

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Hello fellow OB'rs. I've been trying to find this info and I'm sure its here somewhere spread out in these 25 pages but I'm struggling. My GF and I have gotten into overlanding/dispersed camping over the past 1.5-2 years. We do not go super far off grid. Most our trips have taken us no more than a few hours of dirt driving to reach our destinations. We have thus far traveled by ourselves but leave our plans with friends to be safe. We would like to get some communications with the world in case something goes sideways with us. Or if something goes sideways with someone else we could offer assistance. I have been leaning towards GMRS due to price and ease of license. I just dont have desire to get into becoming a HAM guy. Can some one point me in the direction of something along the lines of 'GMRS for dummies"? I would like a mobile rather than portables. I see Midland is a popular brand, I'm familiar with Midlands due to my occupation. Trying to figure out the best course for the right $$ is a bit overwhelming. Thanks!
Matt
Hi Matt,

First, let me say that my reasons for adding 2-way radio to my vehicle are pretty much exactly what you've described. I have and use both GMRS and ham in my vehicle (more below).

Operationally, there isn't much difference between ham and GMRS except that you can run a ham at higher power - the GMRS channels are near the 70cm ham band, and as both use FM, the short range performance is comparable. Using either is basically "push the button to talk" and "release it to listen" just like a walkie-talkie. Configuring "repeater" stations works a little differently for each brand of radio, but the instruction manuals provide step by step walkthroughs. The license cost used to be a differentiator, but that seems to be going by the wayside also. The test is a little bit of a barrier, but it is NOT difficult to pass the technicians test - which covers the privileges needed for most vehicle-mobile units. On the bright side, by studying for the test, you actually learn what you need to know to properly install a radio and troubleshoot the installation (again not difficult).

What is a major differentiator is the availability of what we call "repeater" stations. These are automated radio stations on high ground that can repeat your signal to increase the distance over which you can communicate, often to distances of a hundred miles instead of the limited 5-15 miles you might get from just the vehicle mounted radio itself (this limit is more about line-of-sight between transmitter and receiver than power output - hills block radio signals). I see that you're from Santa Cruz County, CA, so checking repeaterbook.com for GMRS and ham listings, I see:

• GMRS Repeaters: 8
    • 5 open repeaters in Ventura, LA, Siskiyou, and San Bernadino(2) counties
  • HAM Repeaters: 2,699
    • 772 on the 2m band (digital and analog)
    • 1,237 on the 70cm band (digital and analog)
    • plus other bands
    • CA is very well covered
In other parts of the US, GMRS comes closer to parity with ham. Here in New Mexico, we have pretty good coverage for both, but I tend to use the ham radio most, and only use the GMRS radio to talk to the folks in the group that don't have ham.

I'm not sharing this to sell you on on a ham license, but rather to illustrate where the expectations should be on GMRS. They work great for groups where the distances are short enough that no repeaters are needed - essentially like a "better" CB. The also work great in areas where GMRS repeaters are available. However, where the adoption is lower and there are few repeaters available, GMRS isn't a good longer distance communication option.

In any case, there are a bunch of us here who use both ham and GMRS, so feel free to ask your questions!

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Matt
Hi Matt,

First, let me say that my reasons for adding 2-way radio to my vehicle are pretty much exactly what you've described. I have and use both GMRS and ham in my vehicle (more below).

Operationally, there isn't much difference between ham and GMRS except that you can run a ham at higher power - the GMRS channels are near the 70cm ham band, and as both use FM, the short range performance is comparable. Using either is basically "push the button to talk" and "release it to listen" just like a walkie-talkie. Configuring "repeater" stations works a little differently for each brand of radio, but the instruction manuals provide step by step walkthroughs. The license cost used to be a differentiator, but that seems to be going by the wayside also. The test is a little bit of a barrier, but it is NOT difficult to pass the technicians test - which covers the privileges needed for most vehicle-mobile units. On the bright side, by studying for the test, you actually learn what you need to know to properly install a radio and troubleshoot the installation (again not difficult).

What is a major differentiator is the availability of what we call "repeater" stations. These are automated radio stations on high ground that can repeat your signal to increase the distance over which you can communicate, often to distances of a hundred miles instead of the limited 5-15 miles you might get from just the vehicle mounted radio itself (this limit is more about line-of-sight between transmitter and receiver than power output - hills block radio signals). I see that you're from Santa Cruz County, CA, so checking repeaterbook.com for GMRS and ham listings, I see:

• plus other bands
In other parts of the US, GMRS comes closer to parity with ham. Here in New Mexico, we have pretty good coverage for both, but I tend to use the ham radio most, and only use the GMRS radio to talk to the folks in the group that don't have ham.

I'm not sharing this to sell you on on a ham license, but rather to illustrate where the expectations should be on GMRS. They work great for groups where the distances are short enough that no repeaters are needed - essentially like a "better" CB. The also work great in areas where GMRS repeaters are available. However, where the adoption is lower and there are few repeaters available, GMRS isn't a good longer distance communication option.

In any case, there are a bunch of us here who use both ham and GMRS, so feel free to ask your questions!
Thank you! Your response was super helpful! By the looks of if I’m better off going HAM then. I’m familiar with repeaters as I’m firefighter and do a lot of wildland stuff where repeaters are crucial. I had no idea there were so few out here for GMRS. I’ll start leaning my search to HAM instead I think.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Matt
Hi Matt,

• plus other bands

Can you recommend an entry level mobile unit? Been looking at posts about Kenwoods and Yaesu, APRS and TNC, etc. Lot of opinions and information and some are a lots of $$$.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you! Your response was super helpful! By the looks of if I’m better off going HAM then. I’m familiar with repeaters as I’m firefighter and do a lot of wildland stuff where repeaters are crucial. I had no idea there were so few out here for GMRS. I’ll start leaning my search to HAM instead I think.
Since you’re a firefighter and do “wild land” stuff, ham would be way more beneficial to you. With the Mars/Cap mod on a 2m/70cm radio you would also be able to program in your emergency communications frequency along with the SARS frequencies to communicate from your POV.
Look at something like the Yaesu FT-400XDR or the Icom 5200.

For GMRS, midland is an excellent choice. Some other radios to look at would be the Wouxun KG-1000G GMRS Base/Mobile Two Way Radio, BTECH Mobile GMRS-50X1 50 Watt GMRS Two-Way Radio, and Rugged GMR45 High Power GMRS Mobile Radio just to name a few.

Reactions: Shahn and WTSMatt

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Can you recommend an entry level mobile unit? Been looking at posts about Kenwoods and Yaesu, APRS and TNC, etc. Lot of opinions and information and some are a lots of $$$.
I have a Yaesu FTM400XDR, but I was specifically looking for something APRS-capable with a remote head and I liked the touchscreen. Prior to that, I had a Baofeng UV5R that died within the first year - can't recommend it. Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom (all Japanese) seem to be the favored higher end brands - any of them will be solid performers, but the feature sets vary a bit. Of the radios made in China, many are pretty similar to each other. While I don't have direct experience with them, you might look at the AnyTone AT-778UV or the AT-5888UV for a comparison. We should get someone else to comment on the other brands and models.

Info sources:
  • YouTube is an awesome source of radio reviews - hams love to talk about their radios. Just type in a brand name.
  • Similarly, if you call (or do online chat with) Gigaparts, DX Engineering, or Ham Radio Outlet, they can usually offer a lot of goo info.
  • Drop an email to your local ham club - occasionally someone has an old radio that they would let you try out.
  • I've also heard positives on Retevis, TYT, and Wouxun.
Perhaps start by looking for the following, features:
  • dual band 2m / 70cm
  • 20+ Watts on each band
  • GOOD antenna/mount (more important than power - there's been a few discussions on this posted here at OB)
  • download a copy of the manual and look it over
  • check into which software supports programming it (CHIRP is free, but can be a little fussy)

Reactions: WTSMatt

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I have a Yaesu FTM400XDR, but I was specifically looking for something APRS-capable with a remote head and I liked the touchscreen. Prior to that, I had a Baofeng UV5R that died within the first year - can't recommend it. Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom (all Japanese) seem to be the favored higher end brands - any of them will be solid performers, but the feature sets vary a bit. Of the radios made in China, many are pretty similar to each other. While I don't have direct experience with them, you might look at the AnyTone AT-778UV or the AT-5888UV for a comparison. We should get someone else to comment on the other brands and models.

Info sources:
  • YouTube is an awesome source of radio reviews - hams love to talk about their radios. Just type in a brand name.
  • Similarly, if you call (or do online chat with) Gigaparts, DX Engineering, or Ham Radio Outlet, they can usually offer a lot of goo info.
  • Drop an email to your local ham club - occasionally someone has an old radio that they would let you try out.
  • I've also heard positives on Retevis, TYT, and Wouxun.
Perhaps start by looking for the following, features:
  • dual band 2m / 70cm
  • 20+ Watts on each band
  • GOOD antenna/mount (more important than power - there's been a few discussions on this posted here at OB)
  • download a copy of the manual and look it over
  • check into which software supports programming it (CHIRP is free, but can be a little fussy)
Perfect! Again, thank you very much. Responses like yours make this community what it is.

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army
Matt
Hi Matt,

• plus other bands

Good morning,

CB is not dead. But as more overlanders move to HAM or GMRS it is slowly fading. Likewise there are fewer long haul and short haul truckers on CB. I see the switch there as well.

My jeep still has both CB and HAM for now.

Willy

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Good morning,

CB is not dead. But as more overlanders move to HAM or GMRS it is slowly fading. Likewise there are fewer long haul and short haul truckers on CB. I see the switch there as well.

My jeep still has both CB and HAM for now.

Willy

Agreed. I think radio choice MOSTLY depends, first on what your crew rolls (if everyone in your crew uses GMRS/ham/CB, you need the same tech to talk to them), and second on where you roll (what kind of repeaters are available). I only emphasized the second, because OP mentioned they travel alone rather than in a group. If your group already has a preferred radio technology, use that.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

It seems this topic can be broken into two main categories. On-trail communication and emergency communication. GMRS/CB would be the former, and while HAM could certainly serve the purpose, the extra range and power it offers would seem to lean it towards the latter. Not to mention getting everybody in a crew HAM certified could be a tall order.

My wife and I have been having similar conversations to the OP on this topic as we're just starting out, and trying to decide which to get first. My current thinking is the emergency coms stuff first since we don't have any planned trips with groups or the like yet. On that front (emergency), I'm actually leaning towards something along the Garmin In-Reach style products. Something that I could use to send out an emergency message, or receive one.

When it comes to the on-trail side, I'm currently planning on just grabbing a GMRS license and a decent handheld. Part of my rig build is something of a stealth concept where it looks pretty stock when not overlanding, so I'm not looking to mount a radio and large antenna. That also limits range, making the satellite piece more logical for emergency situations where you just need to see sky.

Reactions: Shahn and FFJOORD

FFJOORD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tierra Amarilla, NM
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Carrillo
Member #

Matt
Hi Matt,

• plus other bands

Copy that! Just need something easy like the BK bricks!