Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
If you’re in Southwestern Ontario, the Kitchener-Waterloo Amateur Radio club has a beginners course starting in March and running through June. It’s mostly self-study but gives you opportunity to talk to club members and get help on various topics. Includes exam. I did it in 2018. Being part of a class helped me define a timeline to get it done and motivation to work through the material at a steady pace.

http://www.kwarc.org/kw-class.html

Reactions: Kel Schwab

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Th
If you’re in Southwestern Ontario, the Kitchener-Waterloo Amateur Radio club has a beginners course starting in March and running through June. It’s mostly self-study but gives you opportunity to talk to club members and get help on various topics. Includes exam. I did it in 2018. Being part of a class helped me define a timeline to get it done and motivation to work through the material at a steady pace.

http://www.kwarc.org/kw-class.html
Thank you, We will add this to the comms resource list.

Najman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Laval,Quebec,Canada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE2VLZ
If you are in Quebec
Club radioamateur Rivière-du-Nord
Gives ham courses also i took mine 3 month ago and got my Call sign
The course is in french

Reactions: lemaycanique

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Should you be in southern Ontario or passing through, PM me. I'm an accredited examiner for industry Canada. I can also do exams for people out of province but only if they come to Ontario.

No charges, PM if interested.

Reactions: irono67 and Migu

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I don’t know of any courses in your area, but if you go the self-study route the COAX Publications study guide along with their online exam prep tests are a great way to go.

The ISED exam generator is a good tool (Amateur radio exam generator - Amateur radio operator certificates), and there are a few iOS apps that quiz you on the exam bank questions.

ISED should have a link to examiners in your area, or one of your local clubs should be able to reconnect someone.

Best of luck!

Reactions: lemaycanique

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I know this post was two years ago, but just joined and am interested. I live in Sutton area. Any courses once the Province is open again? Havnt started doing anything to any vehicle yet. Looking for what trail types are travelled most. Full size pick up or my newer style Cherokee Trailhawk are my vehicles. Not looking for hard core just well away from built up areas.

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
Hey folks,

RAC (the Canadian equivalent to the ARRL) is currently running both Basic and Advanced courses in an online format. I am taking the Advanced course and it is excellent.

It is also currently possible to take your exams online with a certified examiner anywhere in Canada (normally restricted to in-person and within your own Province).

RAC will be organizing another online Basic Amateur Radio Qualification Course tentatively scheduled to start in mid-August and run until early October. They should refresh this page with details once they have it sorted out RAC Online Basic Amateur Radio Course

They are trying to gauge interest in offering the Advanced Qualification Course again. A survey to is here: RAC Online Advanced Amateur Radio Qualification Course Survey (survey ends June 21).

The Basic course cost $50 and you also need to purchase the study guide.

The Advanced course is “free” to RAC members at a “Maple Leaf” membership level (minimum $100/year). You can just bump your membership to this level for a year and then revert to either the $48/$56 options later If you want. Of course, RAC does a lot of important work advocating for Amateur Radio with our municipal, provincial and federal governments and as part of the Canadian delegation to the IARU, so the extra money they get from a Maple Leaf membership is well spent.

I am a RAC member, but not on the board or anything. If you have any questions I can try to track down some answers.

73 de VA3KXS