Georgia Traverse - How long do different sections take? Which are the most enjoyable?

• HTML tutorial

Nooga_Rock

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hi,

I'm hoping to do part of the Georgia traverse in the near future. I'll be coming from Chattanooga. Most likely I'll have one weekend, so friday night I would drive to wherever I would start the trail (east edge?) and then drive back west saturday and sunday. What would be the best portions to drive if I have roughly two days. I'm also considering throwing in stops for any nice mountain towns and/or breweries. I would like to have secluded/great scenery camping as well, but isn't as important if it doesn't line up with the other stuff.

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

Make sure to do Tray Mtn road, for a little lite "off road action"... and going east it is pretty. South of there is a German town helen that is a nice diversion. You can google the town and see it. It is not part of the traverse but Amicolola falls has a beautiful waterfall that you can hike. Hope this helps.

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

I would start @ Tullulah River Campground it is at Charlie creek which is a really beautiful area with a bunch of water crossings. We got off of it in Eton Ga nothing really to see after that. Tray Mountian and Dicks Creek were closed last weekend. Blue Ridge, Ellijay, Blairsville, Helen are places I would hit along with Americola and Unicoi State parks. Here is a video made up of some pictures and video we took last week, any questions you have I will be glad to try and answer if I can.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Have to agree with McDowra. I'd start in the same place but also regret not being able to run Dicks Creek and Trey Mtn.

Personally I prefer Blairsville or Ellijay to Helen. Reason? Too many ppl in Helen and really poor service combined with frequent long waits for seating, food, and more importantly - beverages!

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

One of my personal favorite sections for cruising and camping without large crowds is the loop around the Cohutta Wilderness and thru Big Frog Mountain Wilderness area.

All this is closer to you which would allow a more leisurely drive and trip and would allow you to explore side roads and tails off the GA Traverse... those "off route" trails have usually provided me and my wife the best dispersed-secluded camping.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Good Morning everyone does anyone know or have links or pdf files to download the GPX, GPS, or KML maps with Waypoints? I'm having difficulty downloading these on my own computer. Whats the average turnaround to traverse the entire route?

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Hi Patriot, I think most folks complete the East - West traverse in 3 days (long weekends) but it could be done in 2 long days or less if you pressed and don't make many/any stops to check out scenic vistas, waterfalls, etc.

But, the drive itself is key - if you get bored, tired, bad weather, etc. it is really easy to bail out and head home. Nothing on the traverse is excessively challenging for driver or vehicle. Just a great drive through N. GA and lower Appalachian Mtns.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Hi Patriot, I think most folks complete the East - West traverse in 3 days (long weekends) but it could be done in 2 long days or less if you pressed and don't make many/any stops to check out scenic vistas, waterfalls, etc.

But, the drive itself is key - if you get bored, tired, bad weather, etc. it is really easy to bail out and head home. Nothing on the traverse is excessively challenging for driver or vehicle. Just a great drive through N. GA and lower Appalachian Mtns.
I saw the link you provided I appreciate you taking the time to add it to the thread. My 4Runner has the standard suspension right do you think it would make the easy enough without having to lift it? Thank you for the timeline that provides me a better way to plan my logistical approach.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Stock suspension and vehicle set-up will be fine for the Traverse (however a set of upgrade tires is often very helpful, mostly for slippery mud which can be frequent but not really too problematic). There is one trail section that can offer more challenge for the vehicle and driver - Trey (or Tray) Mountain on the east side can be very interesting especially after a "heavy" rain or when/if a tree has fallen to block the road - but if you pick your line and have a moderate amount of common sense and driving experience you should have no problem.

Just shoot me a note and I'd be happy to meet up and ride along with you (unless some strange conflict comes up - but I'm retired so that isn't too common). I'm at ericneal52@gmail.com

I'd recommend you download the GAIA free app (google search) and then download the waypoints from Georgia Overland. This will give you an overview of the entire traverse and it will also function as a GPS on your phone (while driving) to show you where you are, which turns to take, where to connect or where to exit the traverse. You can find GAIA info and tutorials on this website just do a quick search for it.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Stock suspension and vehicle set-up will be fine for the Traverse (however a set of upgrade tires is often very helpful, mostly for slippery mud which can be frequent but not really too problematic). There is one trail section that can offer more challenge for the vehicle and driver - Trey (or Tray) Mountain on the east side can be very interesting especially after a "heavy" rain or when/if a tree has fallen to block the road - but if you pick your line and have a moderate amount of common sense and driving experience you should have no problem.

Just shoot me a note and I'd be happy to meet up and ride along with you (unless some strange conflict comes up - but I'm retired so that isn't too common). I'm at ericneal52@gmail.com

I'd recommend you download the GAIA free app (google search) and then download the waypoints from Georgia Overland. This will give you an overview of the entire traverse and it will also function as a GPS on your phone (while driving) to show you where you are, which turns to take, where to connect or where to exit the traverse. You can find GAIA info and tutorials on this website just do a quick search for it.
Good Morning Eric I appreciate your input as you know upgraded suspensions can be very expensive and my time is limited when I return home to get the install completed in a timely manner. I've had many offers to Traverse the trail and I'm overwhelmed by the support this site has provided and the expertise knowledge being offered. I will absolutely contact you Sir to do the traverse to work as a team. I look forward to meeting you in person you have a blessed day Sir.

zach white

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Greenville, SC
Member #

I would start in Salem. We did from Salem to Vogel state park 2 weekends ago and it was gorgeous. Started Friday at 10 am and rode about 6 hours Friday and 6 hours Saturday. Camped on the tallulah river in Chattahoochee NF the first night and Vogel state park the second. Was a great weekend and got to do trey mountain Saturday afternoon, which is the best part of the trail. It is technical in a few spots and expect to get s few scratches on your rig. Take it nice and slow and pick a good line and you’ll be fine. Then finish with lunch and a beer in Helen (about 45 from Vogel state park) on Sunday and headed home. Would be a good plan for you too since you’ll have a much longer haul home. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions. Will help w all I can.

Reactions: Jkk and PatriotT4R

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

I would start in Salem. We did from Salem to Vogel state park 2 weekends ago and it was gorgeous. Started Friday at 10 am and rode about 6 hours Friday and 6 hours Saturday. Camped on the tallulah river in Chattahoochee NF the first night and Vogel state park the second. Was a great weekend and got to do trey mountain Saturday afternoon, which is the best part of the trail. It is technical in a few spots and expect to get s few scratches on your rig. Take it nice and slow and pick a good line and you’ll be fine. Then finish with lunch and a beer in Helen (about 45 from Vogel state park) on Sunday and headed home. Would be a good plan for you too since you’ll have a much longer haul home. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions. Will help w all I can.
Salem? Is that in Georgia? The route I looked up had a starting point on Burrells Ridge Rd not sure if that is in Salem or not. Yep, rock sliders are a definite must have to prevent even more damages from occurring, the rest is probably unpreventable. Thanks for the advise on the campsites I'll relook at the map to try and find there exact location.

Reactions: zach white

zach white

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Greenville, SC
Member #

Salem? Is that in Georgia? The route I looked up had a starting point on Burrells Ridge Rd not sure if that is in Salem or not. Yep, rock sliders are a definite must have to prevent even more damages from occurring, the rest is probably unpreventable. Thanks for the advise on the campsites I'll relook at the map to try and find there exact location.
It’s Burrells Ford rd..in upstate SC. The closest little town is Salem. I don’t ha e sliders and neither did my buddy. We were fine. But if you pick a bad line, then you could def need sliders.

Reactions: PatriotT4R