Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Nice video. Thanks for making me aware of this tent. There are certainly some things to like about it... But some areas of concern as well...

Can I only tie open the door flap and mesh? What do you do on a summer night with a little breeze when you want to let the air in but not the insects? Just deal with the flapping?

Is the entire tub Velcro'd on? I like that I can run a cord out to power... But not that I have to worry about the tub separating from the top of the tent.

Looking forward to an update after you have tried this out in the wild.

Personal wishes: would have liked to have seen a cot or sleeping bag in there for some perspective.

Reactions: Retinens803

mattd

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nice video. Thanks for making me aware of this tent. There are certainly some things to like about it... But some areas of concern as well...

Can I only tie open the door flap and mesh? What do you do on a summer night with a little breeze when you want to let the air in but not the insects? Just deal with the flapping?

Is the entire tub Velcro'd on? I like that I can run a cord out to power... But not that I have to worry about the tub separating from the top of the tent.

Looking forward to an update after you have tried this out in the wild.

Personal wishes: would have liked to have seen a cot or sleeping bag in there for some perspective.

I will give the tent a few nights and update with a cot or bag this Spring. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: Welding Goats

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

I love my Gazelle T-4 tent, used it this past weekend. It was 19 degrees overnight Friday and 15 overnight Saturday in Green Ridge State Forest. I noticed I lose a lot of heat from my Buddy Heater thru the screen top, with the rain fly on.

Does anyone have any suggestions to better insulate the tent? IMG_3745.jpg

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I set mine up for the first time last night, and me and my 2.5 year old son camped in the backyard (his first time "camping").

Anyone use the tie downs for the sides? They have the sliding plastic lock thing, so it gave the impression it was adjustable somehow? Did y'all simply tie one end to the hooks on the tent? and loop the slide portion around the stake?

Also, I used a buddy heater which created quite a bit of moisture inside. I vented the top of the windows, would opening them further help with that? or reduce it?

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

I love my Gazelle T-4 tent, used it this past weekend. It was 19 degrees overnight Friday and 15 overnight Saturday in Green Ridge State Forest. I noticed I lose a lot of heat from my Buddy Heater thru the screen top, with the rain fly on.

Does anyone have any suggestions to better insulate the tent? View attachment 85327
Throw a tarp or "space" blanket over the tent before putting the fly on. Warm it up with Mr Buddy heater before turning in.
Folks at Gazelle confirmed sub-freezing temps will not be an issue for materials.

mdub

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bellingham, WA, USA
Member #

I ordered a T3 a few weeks ago when they were on sale for members. I've only set it up in my living room so far, but so far I'm impressed. It set up exactly as easy as described, and seems well constructed. The T3 feels bigger than I was expecting, I went back and forth a lot on the T3 vs the T4, and I'm glad I went with the T3. It should be plenty roomy for me, my wife, and our 32 lb dog with some gear and bags inside the tent too. The tall ceiling really helps make the tent feel larger, at 5' 10" I can almost stand fully upright, which makes a big difference when getting dressed in the morning compared to the little 2 person backpacking tent we've been using. I really didn't want to get one bigger than I needed, because the tent is pretty large and heavy when folded up, but the T3 is quite a bit smaller than the T4. I'm looking forward to using the tent for some actual camping soon!

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

We finally used our Gazelle T4 tent for the first time this past weekend. Went up so easily; and weloved the space it provided.

Although it fits in the JKU with the rear seat down, we carried out on the Front Runner rack so front seat can recline. Tent handled interstate speeds just fine.

Hope to find something to mount just forward of tent to act as a wind break for tent on future trips.

Reactions: rhxsec

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Does anyone have any suggestions to better insulate the tent? View attachment 85327
I believe there are window panels that cover the sides. They come in a 3 pack, and i saw them on Amazon at one time. I also read where you need a 2nd set (6 total) to cover all the windows, and they will make it even more waterproof/resistant than it already is.

Somewhere on our forums is a review and discussion on the tent and window panels.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I like the tent but it's folded up size is really not practical for anyone without a full sized vehicle . Like an OZ tent.

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

Finally got to try out our T4 past two weekends. Love the quick setup and take down and spaciousness.
While it fits in the JKU if back seat is down, I strapped it to the FR roof rack with FR stratchits instead, where it traveled without a hiccup.
No rain though, so can't comment on that.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Finally got to try out our T4 past two weekends. Love the quick setup and take down and spaciousness.
While it fits in the JKU if back seat is down, I strapped it to the FR roof rack with FR stratchits instead, where it traveled without a hiccup.
No rain though, so can't comment on that.
I had mine setup at Expo east last year. It rained for two days straight. No leaks, all was good. So nice to be able to stand up completely. I am 6'1" tall and have headroom to spare. It is a bit bulky in the bag but the setup, take down and price more than make up for that if you ask me.

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

A suggestion I saw was to use a "space blanket" or tarp between tent and fly to turn it into a cold weather tent.
Mfr told me the tent fabric will withstand sub-freezing temps with no problem.

Reactions: Desert Runner

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I think I was looking at the larger tent. According to the spec sheet the T-4 is 5'6" in the bag? Is that true to size?

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

I think I was looking at the larger tent. According to the spec sheet the T-4 is 5'6" in the bag? Is that true to size?
I have the lager tent, T4, and the center height is more than 5'10". I believe it's 6'3". Easy enough to check the Gazelle website.