Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
So like many of us I use Gaia GPS for 99% of my navigation and trip planning. I'm having a couple of issues I'm hoping someone has a fix for. I use it across 2 devices, my Iphone 12pro max and my Ipad mini 5th gen. I do a majority of my route planning from a windows laptop. I use different colored waypoint tacs to designate different things and the distinction is important. After I sync both mobile devices, they show correctly on my phone but they're all red (default color) on my tablet. They show correctly in the saved waypoints list but not on the main map. Anyone have any thoughts? Im using the most up to date application and Ive already confirmed map integrity and download sync.

The other issue I sometimes have, is that when I save a map for offline use, it will occasionally show very pixilated with and without cellular service but mostly without. Does anyone experience any buffering time for offline maps. I'm perplexed and nothing is more frustrating than being in the backcountry, pulling up a map that was downloaded and have it be unusable for minutes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reactions: Tundracamper

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

So like many of us I use Gaia GPS for 99% of my navigation and trip planning. I'm having a couple of issues I'm hoping someone has a fix for. I use it across 2 devices, my Iphone 12pro max and my Ipad mini 5th gen. I do a majority of my route planning from a windows laptop. I use different colored waypoint tacs to designate different things and the distinction is important. After I sync both mobile devices, they show correctly on my phone but they're all red (default color) on my tablet. They show correctly in the saved waypoints list but not on the main map. Anyone have any thoughts? Im using the most up to date application and Ive already confirmed map integrity and download sync.

The other issue I sometimes have, is that when I save a map for offline use, it will occasionally show very pixilated with and without cellular service but mostly without. Does anyone experience any buffering time for offline maps. I'm perplexed and nothing is more frustrating than being in the backcountry, pulling up a map that was downloaded and have it be unusable for minutes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
That's bizarre. I've used GAIA across several devices and have not ran into the waypoints issue. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app yet? Other than that and what you said you did, you might have to reach out to GAIA's support. Hopefully they can help you.

I have experienced the pixelated map issue though (although only when offline and with really crappy cell service), and it seems to only get worse the more maps you have downloaded. My best advice is to open GAIA before you lose decent cell signal so it loads the map, and then just leave it running.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I run into this when someone shares a GAIA file with me sometimes. A couple of icons show on my pc but are blank spots in my I-pad. I know one is a ranger station and I think the other is a gas pump.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Can’t speak for the icons, but I have definitely had map resolution issues - even to the point that you can’t read anything when zooming in. I have found that turning OFF cell service on my phone causes the map to reload in a short period of time. My GUESS is that the app looks for maps on-line first before going to the off-line library. If you have 1-bar of cell service and an extremely slow connection, it gets stuck. That approach makes no sense as it should go to the saved maps first. However, my experience indicates that is what it is doing.

Premium 5 yr member, BTW.

Reactions: mamalone200

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
It took me forever to figure this out as well. Hopefully this helps.

From your computer you have to go to your "account" and make sure that things are organized the way you want them. I like to keep my tracks/routes in one folder and my waypoints in another. You go to your account on the top right of the Gaia map from your computer.

Go to your Gaia "Account"
gaia desktop.PNG

It will give you a different looking screen. Think of this screen as your cloud account. Everything you do here will populate across all of your devices. It is a bit clunkier than the "desktop map" you just came from but ultimately this is the master record that will drive the desktop and mobile devices. Organize your items here and correct anything you see out of place before you move on to Syncing with your mobile devices. You can also make things public or keep them private here.
Gaia primary.PNG

Once you have everything how you like it on your cloud then you go to your mobile device, go to settings and access your account there to Sync.
Account Link.jpg

Click on account to go to Sync Settings. Make sure sync/backup is set to ON and then click on Last Sync to manually update and you should be good to go. You can also use this to sync downloaded maps between devices like if you use an ipad and an iphone together for nav.

Sync Link.jpg

Hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions about Gaia let me know and I will do my best to help you out.

Thanks,

Mike
@North40overland