GAIA and apple car play

• HTML tutorial

Tacomaboatguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

Just got GAIA and was looking to upgrade my trucks head unit to something with carplay. Has anyone used GAIA through carplay? is it even possible? how does it run if it is?

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
If memory serves me from looking through the Gaia forums... Gaia does not currently support CarPlay. But it is a pretty heavily requested feature.

Enthusiast III

Germantown, WI, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Owens
Member #

Are you using Gaia on an iOS device (iPhone, iPad) or a Surface Pro? Apple CarPlay is an iOS-only feature (Android Auto is the equivalent for Android mobile devices). If you're using a Surface, then you'll probably want to find a mount of some sort that will fit it and place it in the vehicle in a way that you can view and reach it. You won't be able to use that device with either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

Also, does the Surface have a built-in GPS? If not, you'll need to find yourself a Bluetooth GPS to pair your Surface with so you can get position information. They're plenty cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hambone

Tacomaboatguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

my phone is an iphone. I found out that gaia doesnt play very well with win 10. I guess for now I will have to steal one of my wifes iPads. Going to be mounting everything up with Ram mounts. Would much rather just use my laptop/tablet, but they dont have the app built. Hope they do it soon.

Reactions: Chris In Milwaukee

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Unfortunately GAIA doesn't work through Android Auto, yet. I carry my Samsung Tab 2 for GAIA on longer trips and just use my cell phone dueing shorter trips.

Reactions: Hambone

Trudog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sammamish, WA 98074, USA
Member #

Just got GAIA and was looking to upgrade my trucks head unit to something with carplay. Has anyone used GAIA through carplay? is it even possible? how does it run if it is?
I just discovered the GAIA before finding this thread. Good information since your in Tacoma would love to compare notes someday possibly on the trail?

Thanks for the information y’all!

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Not available on CarPlay only thing you might be able to do is find a headunit with hdmi input, get the Apple hdmi adaptor and use screen mirroring that way.

Reactions: Tacomaboatguy

Meettaco

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

GAIA for Apple Carplay should be here very soon according to their website forums. You may want to hold off a bit longer.

Reactions: great08

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Only problem is you cant control it with the head unit
That’s why I said screen mirroring. He was looking for an option, if he is looking to buy a new radio, most now all come with carplay or android auto, if Gaia is supposedly going to come out for carplay, the screen mirroring will do the trick to hold him over till it does. Also if he wants he can still using the mirroring option to run apps that are not approved for carplay.

Meettaco

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

Very much looking forward to seeing GAIA working with Apple Carplay...will save me from investing in a tablet solely for that purpose...
Agreed! I have been waiting for a couple months. Looking forward to being able to just install a carplay headunit.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Sweet Baby Jesus!!!

I hope that you guys are right and that it comes soon. I want to plan out a map and be able to use it on my in-dash display! Apple carplay has been awesome using Apple Maps. I just found out that the google map app also works with the system! So I do now have some great satellite maps on my dash now. Just need it in Gaia...

I actually came onto the forum just to look this up origionally. lol

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Sweet Baby Jesus!!!

I hope that you guys are right and that it comes soon. I want to plan out a map and be able to use it on my in-dash display! Apple carplay has been awesome using Apple Maps. I just found out that the google map app also works with the system! So I do now have some great satellite maps on my dash now. Just need it in Gaia...

I actually came onto the forum just to look this up origionally. lol
Waze works too

Reactions: great08