Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Just a few pics of this past weekend. We started the Traverse at Burrells Ford campground (which was closed incase anyone needs to know). So i followed a route I imported from the GA Overland site along with some off trail sight seeing and store browsing. Unfortunately when we got to Tray Mountain rd it had a sign that stated rd closed. Now I don't know exactly how all the rd closure works so I didn't take that route but saw later on some FB posts where folks were still going that way. Oh well! Took a short break in Helen to get some dinner and feed Sawyer( our 4 month old son). Then ended at FS 107 past Vogel State park.

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
where exactly did you find boondocking? the wife and i go to georgia every january and this year we did 10 days, most at vogel and did see an area to boondock about 10 miles or so east of vogel. that is an awesome area and we loved going to helen to eat and shop and there are a lot of hiking areas and waterfalls all around there., we'll be back at vogel this coming january if its open...
we also stayed at americolola and found a dirt road/trail in that area and it was barely big enough for my lifted tundra to clear trees and narrow sharp curves...id like to find some decent off pavement trails that are more suited for a bigger pickup

Reactions: Lil Bear

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Let that kid get in the dirt! LOL! I was up that way just before the last tropical system came through. Two weeks ago? Did a good bit of exploring and marking some dispersed camp sites. Mostly stayed at FS Rec areas since old peoples get half price and I had never been that way before. Cooper Creek Rec area FS Rd off Hwy 60 was the best. When I left there headed east on Mulky Gap Rd. I saw a couple of choice sites for boondocking. Nice little store/restaurant on 60 right at the turn onto road to Mulky and Cooper Creek Rec Areas. Lots of FS roads and multiple ways to traverse N. Ga. Beautiful area!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

where exactly did you find boondocking? the wife and i go to georgia every january and this year we did 10 days, most at vogel and did see an area to boondock about 10 miles or so east of vogel. that is an awesome area and we loved going to helen to eat and shop and there are a lot of hiking areas and waterfalls all around there., we'll be back at vogel this coming january if its open...
we also stayed at americolola and found a dirt road/trail in that area and it was barely big enough for my lifted tundra to clear trees and narrow sharp curves...id like to find some decent off pavement trails that are more suited for a bigger pickup
That was Wolf Creek Rd I believe. I found it as FSR 107 originally. Its up past Vogel State Park. I found it bout 6 or so months ago when I went to Boggs Creek and Vogel. Vogel was closed so I saw a few roads on the map and went to find them lol. There's a few sites along the creek there. The trail is kinda tight through there though. I definitely was getting some leaf and limb love on the sides of my Nissan Titan :laughing:.

Reactions: grubworm

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Let that kid get in the dirt! LOL! I was up that way just before the last tropical system came through. Two weeks ago? Did a good bit of exploring and marking some dispersed camp sites. Mostly stayed at FS Rec areas since old peoples get half price and I had never been that way before. Cooper Creek Rec area FS Rd of Hwy 60 was the best. When I left there headed east on Mulky Gap Rd. I saw a couple of choice sites for boondocking. Nice little store/restaurant on 60 right at the turn onto road to Mulky and Cooper Creek Rec Areas. Lots of FS roads and multiple ways to traverse N. Ga. Beautiful area!
Its so very nice up there! I really want to get to explore and find other great places to camp there but I haven't been able to yet .Need to build my rig out a little more before I do too much solo exploring. And I agree with letting him in the dirt but momma stays a little concerned(paranoid) about getting sick and germs :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:. I mean I'm not sure I remember what shoes were until I was in middle school! But those were different times. I miss the gardens, woods, and simplicity of it!

Reactions: grubworm