Rank III

Enthusiast II

Layton, Utah
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Clark
Member #

So lets discuss pro and cons of overlanding in a full size. I run a 01 Excusrion with a 4 inch lift, 35" tires, banks exhaust, edge tunner, air bags, cold air intake, and 4:30 gears. I have a custom roof rack with 7 led lights and four more behind the grill , a rear storage draw system with on board air. Although i like to think shes the king or the road she has many limits.
1. Turning shes alot like a 747.
2. Height, small trail, parking garage, garage at home and evan drive thru. She to big.
3. Off road, I've got it with speed and bounce.
4. Mpg lol what mpg.

So why full size?
1. Well the room speaks for its self.
2. Towing unmatched.
3. Distance traveled, great when full of fuel.
4 well I am the king of the road, and will likely be the first to help.

So to all why a full size? Im sure i didnt cover it all.

Attachments

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Full size GMC Savana Van, 6.6 Duramax here...and even bigger than most with a 155" wheelbase.

Full size for me because most of my wandering is long-term, not just a week or two or weekends or quick overnights.

Because I tend to be gone long periods and wander far afield, I like to be able to carry stuff for all seasons, along with a wider variety of tools and gear than most do, because I'm not going to just desert, or just mountains, or just local trails. I may hit all sort of places, urban, rural, and back country on the same trip and may be gone for several weeks or months. My last trip was sixteen weeks and 12,500 miles, camping all over the place.

Full size because I have a 31 gal tank and when loaded get 17-22 mpg, depending on whether I'm towing my trailer or not.
My van tows like a dream.
Good solid smooth ride.
Rugged and dependable.

Full size van for me because I can get straight into the back without going outside, and I can carry longer material than a pick up and certainly longer than any other vehicle legal to park on city streets. Full size so I can do a lot of other stuff with my vehicle than just camp and travel.

roaddude_van-interior-9810.jpg
Typical Interior Setup with moveable bed platform and another good-sized space other side of the bed, accessible from the side doors if I leave the bed in place while camping.

roaddude-bigdawgs-900.jpg
Running with the big dogs.

roaddude-warsaw-900.jpg
Mexico?

roaddude_grapevine-savana-xv2-0807-900.jpg
Along the Mexican border in Big Bend

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Alot of people don't realize that even with a smaller rig once it's armored up , lifted and loaded down with gear it's going to get just about as bad milage as a full size rigs, plus because of the limited interior room they end up loading the rack with all sorts of stuff making it just as tall as a full size .

I will take interior room and a v8 over small and better (debatible) Highway mpg any day of the week .

TrippinStfflr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Rock Island, TN, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Stiffler
I agree with everyones assessments so far. I need to haul everything, since I full time.
I need to tow a 8500# trailer, safely.
I haul a couple people at a time.
Love having a big fuel tank, big brakes, big bed and can still add more gear if I want.
I love Toyota. I was a Lexus tech once apon a time, and have a great appreciation for the Toyota product (except for the rediculously sharp edges on the under seat or under dash frame work) but unfortunately they dont have a product that can do what I need it to do.
If all I needed was a weekend overland vehicle then I dont think I'd use a full size truck. At least not a F250 6.7l diesel lol.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Alot of people don't realize that even with a smaller rig once it's armored up , lifted and loaded down with gear it's going to get just about as bad milage as a full size rigs, plus because of the limited interior room they end up loading the rack with all sorts of stuff making it just as tall as a full size .

I will take interior room and a v8 over small and better (debatible) Highway mpg any day of the week .
Actually, you get the right full-sized and right engine, you can get far better mileage than smaller rigs, whether they are loaded and armored or not. Folks with Land Cruisers regularly report 14mpg, from what I've seen. Lowest I've had in my full-sized rig, loaded and towing a loaded trailer (as seen in my profile av), is 16-17.

So yeah, I completely agree, I'll take the interior room and my Duramax diesel and better mileage over any other smaller rig, anytime. I'm not one to hit the trails just to climb rocks or get axle-deep in mud or see how stuck I can get, but want something I can use every day, anywhere I want to go, in snow, desert, or back country trail.

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Full size because I need the room. I have a family of 5. And I've found our fullsize a lot more capable than a smaller rig pulling a land anchor. I mean trailer.

I do not find the size to be all that particularly limiting. It really depends. I've been on very tight trails with my rig and they were a challenge for the Jeeps in the group. It becomes more of a challenge for sure. But when the trail is too narrow, it's already a challenge for Jeeps. Hasn't become a real-world concern or issue.

Frankly, I have found the longer wheelbase to be more stable offroad and on trails compared to the shorter wheelbase vehicle we had previously. While it might have been more nimble around turns, that's about it.

With this particular rig, I also found myself spending A LOT less in mods, and more time just out doing things. I didn't need to waste money on lifts and upgraded suspension. I slapped some 35's on it, sliders and diff armor and was good to go. Already came with lockers and winch. Hard to argue with the value there. More time out exploring and doing, less time figuring out what mods to do.

We get plenty of places that I've been told we shouldn't be able to get to in our rig.

And yeah, I did just liter your thread with pictures of my truck. :P I'm a picture whore.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 z71 w\ 3.73's, stock 5.3 V8, 265x75Rx16 General Grabbers, mild built 4L60E trans, stock lift, custom full boar exhaust, 12,000lb Smittybilt winch. I do comon sense 4 wheeling that gets me & the wife into good bear hunting country, I have zero problem getting their or getting out. Takes me & the wife were we need to go w\o any issues hunting or overlanding.

Last edited:

EXCURSIONdad3232

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Layton, Utah
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Full size because I need the room. I have a family of 5. And I've found our fullsize a lot more capable than a smaller rig pulling a land anchor. I mean trailer.

I do not find the size to be all that particularly limiting. It really depends. I've been on very tight trails with my rig and they were a challenge for the Jeeps in the group. It becomes more of a challenge for sure. But when the trail is too narrow, it's already a challenge for Jeeps. Hasn't become a real-world concern or issue.

Frankly, I have found the longer wheelbase to be more stable offroad and on trails compared to the shorter wheelbase vehicle we had previously. While it might have been more nimble around turns, that's about it.

With this particular rig, I also found myself spending A LOT less in mods, and more time just out doing things. I didn't need to waste money on lifts and upgraded suspension. I slapped some 35's on it, sliders and diff armor and was good to go. Already came with lockers and winch. Hard to argue with the value there. More time out exploring and doing, less time figuring out what mods to do.

We get plenty of places that I've been told we shouldn't be able to get to in our rig.

And yeah, I did just liter your thread with pictures of my truck. :P I'm a picture whore.
Lol its all good I'd do the same. Whats the river you are crossing?

Reactions: dgarber

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

It’s more like a flooded marsh that has permanently flooded part of the road. It’s connected to Stanley lake in Idaho. It’s just a nice backdrop.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I went full size because of wanting to pull a travel trailer at some point; 3 kids, wife, dog to travel with; cargo capacity and room to haul stuff (camping, non-camping). I've had it off-road and it's performed better than I've expected.

The downside is I don't generally keep up with most of the folks who have smaller rigs, fuel mileage isn't great, and it's advanced age (2004) means it potiently breaks down more frequently. But I do love it even though I'm considering going to a mid-size pickup.DSC_0055.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using OB Talk mobile app

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I like the fact of horse power & torque from a v8 engine for pulling & hauling. Plus the bed space & hauling capacity needed w\ the leg room inside the cab. I can pull my overland trailer to remote areas in bear country w\ plenty of power & with some to spare. Now mine aint no rock crawler which I wouldn't put my truck threw.

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
I have been offroading my 2000 F150 for a few years. Barely full sized and no issue with size or turning radius for the things I do. I did just buy a CJ7, not for size just to cure the Jeep fever.

TrippinStfflr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Rock Island, TN, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Stiffler
Not necessarily unique to full size trucks but..my f250 has a 300amp alternator and a 7 pin plug so I can charge my trailer batteries while hooked up to truck. My truck isnt necessarily quieter than my genny but it gives me another option.

Sent from my LG-H990 using OB Talk mobile app